Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Nick_A
Posts: 5134
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Nick_A »

Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

People are people, which is why those attracted to philosophy need protection from self-serving agenda-driven adults.

It will never happen because the love of wisdom has been replaced by the slogan “the end justifies the means.” The means in this case is arrogant abusive opposition to whatever opposes the chosen agenda..The love of wisdom is too old fashioned. Progress is considered achieved by the success of an acquired quality of abusive opposition.
User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:24 amThe love of wisdom is too old fashioned.
A temporary trend caused by excitement over new innovations. People's excitement is ebbing as life becomes harder in some ways rather than easier, and I am most confident that wisdom will make a comeback.

When one can readily acquire, there is pressure to be fiscally prudent, but not to be wise. It's when we are struggling or unsure that wisdom becomes important, allowing us to accept that which is not ideal if we can't change it.
Dubious
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:24 amThe love of wisdom is too old fashioned.
When was wisdom ever here? It's as much of a myth as the gods. If wisdom had ever prevailed it could never have been so easily negated; if it belonged only to the elite then it merely defaults to a barely functioning myth or metaphor with nothing more to offer. Finally, when things get truly desperate (unquestionably guaranteed) wisdom, or what remains, will unconditionally surrender to the barbarity blitz that follows.
Nick_A
Posts: 5134
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Nick_A »

Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 am
Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:24 amThe love of wisdom is too old fashioned.
When was wisdom ever here? It's as much of a myth as the gods. If wisdom had ever prevailed it could never have been so easily negated; if it belonged only to the elite then it merely defaults to a barely functioning myth or metaphor with nothing more to offer. Finally, when things get truly desperate (unquestionably guaranteed) wisdom, or what remains, will unconditionally surrender to the barbarity blitz that follows.
Wisdom isn't something we have. The love of wisdom begins with acknowledging that it does exist but we do not have it under the sun. At one time philosophy was the love of a human potential we lack. This thread is unwittingly describing one reason we are losing the love of wisdom. Verbal abuse and cyber bullying destroy the quality of ideas which further the love of wisdom and nourish the qualities of mind which make it possible. Jacob needleman describes the problem in his book "The American Soul"
Our world, so we see and hear on all sides, is drowning in materialism, commercialism, consumerism. But the problem is not really there. What we ordinarily speak of as materialism is a result, not a cause. The root of materialism is a poverty of ideas about the inner and outer world. Less and less does our contemporary culture have, or even seek, commerce with great ideas, and it is the lack that is weakening the human spirit. This is the essence of materialism. Materialism is a disease of the mind starved for ideas.

Throughout history ideas of a certain kind have been disseminated into the life of humanity in order to help human beings understand and feel the possibility of the deep inner change that would enable them to serve the purpose for which they were created, namely, to act in the world as conscious individual instruments of God, and the ultimate principle of reality and value. Ideas of this kind are formulated in order to have a specific range of action on the human psych: to touch the heart as well as the intellect; to shock us into questioning our present understanding; to point us to the greatness around us in nature and the universe, and the potential greatness slumbering within ourselves; to open our eyes to the real needs of our neighbor; to confront us with our own profound ignorance and our criminal fears and egoism; to show us that we are not here for ourselves alone, but as necessary particles of divine love.

These are the contours of the ancient wisdom, considered as ideas embodied in religious and philosophical doctrines, works of sacred art,literature and music and, in a very fundamental way, an indication of practical methods by which a man or woman can work, as is said, to become what he or she really is. Without feeling the full range of such ideas, or sensing even a modest, but pure, trace of them, we are bound to turn for meaning.
There is only a minority with a love of wisdom. The world is against them as it becomes increasingly secularized. I respect and admire their love of wisdom and the spiritual search for meaning it leads to even in the presence of all the psychological attacks they must endure as the ideas and influences keeping their love alive are gradually vanishing.
User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2888
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by -1- »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:09 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 am
Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:24 amThe love of wisdom is too old fashioned.
When was wisdom ever here? It's as much of a myth as the gods. If wisdom had ever prevailed it could never have been so easily negated; if it belonged only to the elite then it merely defaults to a barely functioning myth or metaphor with nothing more to offer. Finally, when things get truly desperate (unquestionably guaranteed) wisdom, or what remains, will unconditionally surrender to the barbarity blitz that follows.
Wisdom isn't something we have. The love of wisdom begins with acknowledging that it does exist but we do not have it under the sun. At one time philosophy was the love of a human potential we lack. This thread is unwittingly describing one reason we are losing the love of wisdom. Verbal abuse and cyber bullying destroy the quality of ideas which further the love of wisdom and nourish the qualities of mind which make it possible. Jacob needleman describes the problem in his book "The American Soul"
Our world, so we see and hear on all sides, is drowning in materialism, commercialism, consumerism. But the problem is not really there. What we ordinarily speak of as materialism is a result, not a cause. The root of materialism is a poverty of ideas about the inner and outer world. Less and less does our contemporary culture have, or even seek, commerce with great ideas, and it is the lack that is weakening the human spirit. This is the essence of materialism. Materialism is a disease of the mind starved for ideas.

Throughout history ideas of a certain kind have been disseminated into the life of humanity in order to help human beings understand and feel the possibility of the deep inner change that would enable them to serve the purpose for which they were created, namely, to act in the world as conscious individual instruments of God, and the ultimate principle of reality and value. Ideas of this kind are formulated in order to have a specific range of action on the human psych: to touch the heart as well as the intellect; to shock us into questioning our present understanding; to point us to the greatness around us in nature and the universe, and the potential greatness slumbering within ourselves; to open our eyes to the real needs of our neighbor; to confront us with our own profound ignorance and our criminal fears and egoism; to show us that we are not here for ourselves alone, but as necessary particles of divine love.

These are the contours of the ancient wisdom, considered as ideas embodied in religious and philosophical doctrines, works of sacred art,literature and music and, in a very fundamental way, an indication of practical methods by which a man or woman can work, as is said, to become what he or she really is. Without feeling the full range of such ideas, or sensing even a modest, but pure, trace of them, we are bound to turn for meaning.
There is only a minority with a love of wisdom. The world is against them as it becomes increasingly secularized. I respect and admire their love of wisdom and the spiritual search for meaning it leads to even in the presence of all the psychological attacks they must endure as the ideas and influences keeping their love alive are gradually vanishing.
I just realized the obvious. Why haven't I seen this before?

It is clear to me now, clearer than the azure sky in the deepest summer, that Nick_A owns wisdom.

He somehow obtained the rights to it. He owns it now. He has the certificate at home, the ownership certificate, and of course he is the owner.

Well, good for him. He owns it outright, not even the bank has mortgage rights on it.
User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Greta »

Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 amFinally, when things get truly desperate (unquestionably guaranteed) wisdom, or what remains, will unconditionally surrender to the barbarity blitz that follows.
Good point. Wisdom is a luxury for those who don't have to fight desperately to survive. At some point dignity gives way to the survival instinct.
Walker
Posts: 7265
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 amFinally, when things get truly desperate (unquestionably guaranteed) wisdom, or what remains, will unconditionally surrender to the barbarity blitz that follows.
Good point. Wisdom is a luxury for those who don't have to fight desperately to survive. At some point dignity gives way to the survival instinct.
Not really.

Money and survival are irrelevant to wisdom.

An unwise person might be thrown into a desperate funk because they can only get a BMW and not a Bentley.

A captive such as Viktor Frankl who is treated like an animal can retain and expand wisdom.

Wisdom grows from adversity, if the person is so inclined.
User avatar
Seleucus
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:53 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Seleucus »

I see my remarks on Katya Zashtopik have also been deleted. I'm not willing to participate in a group that defends idiotic name-calling but censors discovery. This is my last reply here.
Walker
Posts: 7265
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Walker »

Seleucus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm I see my remarks on Katya Zashtopik have also been deleted. I'm not willing to participate in a group that defends idiotic name-calling but censors discovery. This is my last reply here.
I just may join you. Life is short.
Nick_A
Posts: 5134
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Nick_A »

Seleucus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm I see my remarks on Katya Zashtopik have also been deleted. I'm not willing to participate in a group that defends idiotic name-calling but censors discovery. This is my last reply here.
Welcome to the era of modern philosophy. That is why disciples of the Great Beast cannot appreciate why Socrates died as he did rather than run in accordance with a survival instinct.
"even if we can't prevent the forces of tyranny from prevailing, we can at least "understand the force by which we are crushed." Simone Weil
No sense in running. This provides a safe means for understanding the nature of the force by which we are crushed. At least it is partial compensation for witnessing the devolution of reason and conscience into social bias and political correctness..
Walker
Posts: 7265
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Walker »

The modern era of philosophy is striving to master baiting.

Good luck to you, Nick. You're one of the bright spots of intelligence, and apologies if the observation sends even more silliness your way.
Nick_A
Posts: 5134
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 pm The modern era of philosophy is striving to master baiting.

Good luck to you, Nick. You're one of the bright spots of intelligence, and apologies if the observation sends even more silliness your way.
Never apologize for a good one. As I understand it humor and wisdom are related. Perhaps the devaluing of the pursuit of wisdom is why humor has devolved into abuse and ridicule. So bring on the good ones. :)
User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:14 pm
Greta wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 amFinally, when things get truly desperate (unquestionably guaranteed) wisdom, or what remains, will unconditionally surrender to the barbarity blitz that follows.
Good point. Wisdom is a luxury for those who don't have to fight desperately to survive. At some point dignity gives way to the survival instinct.
Not really.

Money and survival are irrelevant to wisdom.

An unwise person might be thrown into a desperate funk because they can only get a BMW and not a Bentley.

A captive such as Viktor Frankl who is treated like an animal can retain and expand wisdom.

Wisdom grows from adversity, if the person is so inclined.
There will always be extremes. They are not useful in analysis, rather as examples and lessons.

The human capacity to revert to a more primal state through desperation is well-documented, made famous by Goldman's Lord of the Flies and characterised by the aphorism "nine meals from anarchy" (http://www.internationalman.com/article ... om-anarchy). The fight-or-flight response might bring wisdom in retrospect but it surely suppresses any possible wisdom while active.

The more that people fall into fight-or-flight, the more conflict, which is inevitably followed by tit-for-tat cycles of retribution, made certain now by the success of weak terrorists in beating down might of the US. When the red curtain of anger falls then wisdom - calm, proportionality and clear-sighted assessment - is not possible.
User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 12313
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm
Seleucus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm I see my remarks on Katya Zashtopik have also been deleted. I'm not willing to participate in a group that defends idiotic name-calling but censors discovery. This is my last reply here.
I just may join you. Life is short.
We can only hope the two of you are true to your words.
Nick_A
Posts: 5134
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:58 am
Walker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:14 pm
Greta wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 am
Good point. Wisdom is a luxury for those who don't have to fight desperately to survive. At some point dignity gives way to the survival instinct.
Not really.

Money and survival are irrelevant to wisdom.

An unwise person might be thrown into a desperate funk because they can only get a BMW and not a Bentley.

A captive such as Viktor Frankl who is treated like an animal can retain and expand wisdom.

Wisdom grows from adversity, if the person is so inclined.
There will always be extremes. They are not useful in analysis, rather as examples and lessons.

The human capacity to revert to a more primal state through desperation is well-documented, made famous by Goldman's Lord of the Flies and characterised by the aphorism "nine meals from anarchy" (http://www.internationalman.com/article ... om-anarchy). The fight-or-flight response might bring wisdom in retrospect but it surely suppresses any possible wisdom while active.

The more that people fall into fight-or-flight, the more conflict, which is inevitably followed by tit-for-tat cycles of retribution, made certain now by the success of weak terrorists in beating down might of the US. When the red curtain of anger falls then wisdom - calm, proportionality and clear-sighted assessment - is not possible.
Quite true. The Great Beast is incapable of wisdom so easily falls into more primal states. Only certain individuals are capable of the quality of wisdom necessary to grasp the human condition. The Beast cannot understand them which is why the Great Beast seeks to eliminate them.
Post Reply