Are you immortal?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Are you immortal?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I don't consider myself to be immortal.

Some people may look upon themselves as being immortal, not in terms of how long they live, but in terms of history (for as long as history lasts) or maybe other ways.

So are you destined for immortality? Why? What does immortality mean to you? Would you grow bored with immortality?

PhilX 🇺🇸
GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: Are you immortal?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

I am an immortal being of goodness and light. You can kill my body but I will come back, I am the ultimate SJW, the Jesus Christ of SJWs. I attack and criticize all the other SJWs just like Jesus did. But I want to be a hot, female Jesus with no beard, sort of like my avatar.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I am not immortal so when I die I will stay dead forever. There is precisely zero evidence for either reincarnation
or the afterlife. I do not even want to live forever. I have no problem with death. None at all. Because when I do
die I will be free from all pain and suffering for all time which is far better than a fantasy involving living forever
GreatandWiseTrixie

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 pm I am not immortal so when I die I will stay dead forever. There is precisely zero evidence for either reincarnation
or the afterlife. I do not even want to live forever. I have no problem with death. None at all. Because when I do
die I will be free from all pain and suffering for all time which is far better than a fantasy involving living forever
There is zero evidence people are not born. There is evidence saying people are born. You are living in a fantasy saying you will never be born.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

For the person deceased death is equal to never having lived. Time literally doesn't exist. Whether the universe lasts for a microsecond or ten trillion years is an instantaneous event to all who died or never existed in the first place. What's to be afraid of when life itself is a crap-shoot? But good luck to everyone in between! :lol:
GreatandWiseTrixie

Dubious wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 pm For the person deceased death is equal to never having lived. Time literally doesn't exist. Whether the universe lasts for a microsecond or ten trillion years is an instantaneous event to all who died or never existed in the first place. What's to be afraid of when life itself is a crap-shoot? But good luck to everyone in between! :lol:
Im afraid of reincarnation back into this terrible world.

But surrep is just a robot that repeats the same thing over and over, like as if I am using reincarnation as some kind of religious fantasy.
surreptitious57

You only believe in reincarnation because you want a second chance at life. However you do not have any evidence that it is true. There is though overwhelmingly evidence for death because living things die and stay dead. Living things have been dying and staying dead for the last four billion years on Earth so I have four billion years of history as evidence and you have precisely nothing. Every thing eventually dies including the Universe You are not going to live for ever or be reincarnated. But the good thing for you is that because of this you can only live this life once and no more
thought addict

Post by thought addict »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 pm Living things have been dying and staying dead for the last four billion years on Earth so I have four billion years of history as evidence and you have precisely nothing.
Seriously? You're giving the fact that a particular living organism remains dead as evidence against the possibility of reincarnation? If it was the same organism coming back to life, that would be resurrection, not reincarnation. Why are you so sure that it's not possible for you to ever experience living as another being quadrillions of millennia after you cease to be this one? It could even happen in a different universe. If this universe had a beginning, then other universes could begin too.
GreatandWiseTrixie

thought addict wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:43 am
Seriously? You're giving the fact that a particular living organism remains dead as evidence against the possibility of reincarnation? If it was the same organism coming back to life, that would be resurrection, not reincarnation. Why are you so sure that it's not possible for you to ever experience living as another being quadrillions of millennia after you cease to be this one? It could even happen in a different universe. If this universe had a beginning, then other universes could begin too.
Don't mind surrep, he just likes to repeat the same thing over and over again, like a robot, never growing or learning anything or taking the time to truly understand somebody else's point of view.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 pm You only believe in reincarnation because you want a second chance at life. However you do not have any evidence that it is true. There is though overwhelmingly evidence for death because living things die and stay dead. Living things have been dying and staying dead for the last four billion years on Earth so I have four billion years of history as evidence and you have precisely nothing. Every thing eventually dies including the Universe You are not going to live for ever or be reincarnated. But the good thing for you is that because of this you can only live this life once and no more
Have you actually looked past the veil of death? Others have, and they claim there is an afterlife.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Viveka wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:20 pm
surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 pm You only believe in reincarnation because you want a second chance at life. However you do not have any evidence that it is true. There is though overwhelmingly evidence for death because living things die and stay dead. Living things have been dying and staying dead for the last four billion years on Earth so I have four billion years of history as evidence and you have precisely nothing. Every thing eventually dies including the Universe You are not going to live for ever or be reincarnated. But the good thing for you is that because of this you can only live this life once and no more
Have you actually looked past the veil of death? Others have, and they claim there is an afterlife.
How does one look past the veil of death?
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 pm
Viveka wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:20 pm
How does one look past the veil of death?
By having a near-death experience.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:00 pm I don't consider myself to be immortal.

Some people may look upon themselves as being immortal, not in terms of how long they live, but in terms of history (for as long as history lasts) or maybe other ways.

So are you destined for immortality? Why? What does immortality mean to you? Would you grow bored with immortality?

PhilX 🇺🇸
If we are not immortal, for sake of argument, then where does:

1) The question come from?

2) The concept of immortality (thereby infinity) come from?

3) If mankind is able to reflect upon immortality, why would not immortality be able to reflect upon him (considering immortality is synonymous to infinity)?
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Personally I am not immortal. Within the next 50 years or so I expect to keel over and my consciousness to disappear like the breath of a buffalo on a frosty morning.

But my genes may 'live' on even if they get mutated beyond recognition or even if I have no children of my own. Perhaps they will 'live' forever.

And possibly some of my ideas will live on, again perhaps mutated beyond recognition; and again perhaps forever.
surreptitious57

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Dont mind surrep he just likes to repeat the same thing over and over again like a robot never
growing or learning anything or taking the time to truly understand somebody elses point of view
You are completely wrong about that for I have taken the time to truly understand you which I do
I know nothing about anything so I dont think I know anything about reincarnation or the afterlife
The older I get the less I know so dont pay attention to anything which I have to say from now on