KMS Bismarck

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

KMS Bismarck

Post by thedoc »

My grandson did a report on the KMS Bismarck and didn't ask me a single question. I don't know what was in the report but I could probably have told him a lot more, he didn't even know who it was named after.
davidm

Re: KMS Bismarck

Post by davidm »

thedoc wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 am My grandson did a report on the KMS Bismarck and didn't ask me a single question. I don't know what was in the report but I could probably have told him a lot more, he didn't even know who it was named after.
If he didn't know who it was named for, isn't that kind of a bad sign for the report? :?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

davidm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:12 am
thedoc wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 am My grandson did a report on the KMS Bismarck and didn't ask me a single question. I don't know what was in the report but I could probably have told him a lot more, he didn't even know who it was named after.
If he didn't know who it was named for, isn't that kind of a bad sign for the report? :?
That is true but it is a 5th grade report so I don't really expect very much.
davidm

Post by davidm »

If you don't know what's in the report, though, maybe he figured out who the Bismarck was named for on his own, and put that in the report?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

davidm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 am If you don't know what's in the report, though, maybe he figured out who the Bismarck was named for on his own, and put that in the report?
No, I had to tell him because he didn't know from his own research.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

internet sources are double plus good...

just wait a few years and see everyone's intelligence grow exponentially...

welcome to machine

-Imp
uwot

Post by uwot »

Legend has it that the Bismarck was undone because it was attacked by Fairey Swordfish, a bi-plane designed in the early thirties, and considered obsolete before WWII even started. It didn't occur to the Germans that the British would be so foolhardy to pit a museum piece against the most sophisticated and formidable battleship the world had seen, so they didn't calibrate their gun tracking for something so slow. As a result, they couldn't shoot them down.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

thedoc wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 am
I was wondering what 5th Grade meant agewise in America and what relevance the Bismarck would have to such a school student.
From wiki - I understand the age is about 11. And that a 5th grade Social Science class includes WWI, Indudustrial Revolution, WWII, Economics,Government and the Civil War.

Wow - quite a load !
And they may, or may not have recess :shock:

So, what resources are they encouraged to use ?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

marjoram_blues wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:02 pm
thedoc wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 am

I was wondering what 5th Grade meant agewise in America and what relevance the Bismarck would have to such a school student.
From wiki - I understand the age is about 11. And that a 5th grade Social Science class includes WWI, Indudustrial Revolution, WWII, Economics,Government and the Civil War.

Wow - quite a load !
And they may, or may not have recess :shock:

So, what resources are they encouraged to use ?
My Grandson just turned 12 and was told that Wikipedia was not a valid source, however on that subject I checked it out and everything seems to be OK. I have other sources for him to use but I think he found his information on line. He wouldn't tell me what class it was for or the subject, he would only say that he had the choice of the Bismarck or the Indianapolis, so I assume that it was WWII in social science.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Teachers don't really teach any more--they just give children a topic and tell them to go and research it online (or on their iPads in the classroom). Teachers are far too busy thinking up new 'Progressive' flavour-of-the-month causes for their real job--social engineering.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Does anyone know what the point of this thread is?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm Does anyone know what the point of this thread is?
There's a point? ? ? ? ? ? :shock: :?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:33 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm Does anyone know what the point of this thread is?
There's a point? ? ? ? ? ? :shock: :?
Okay, doc, my mistake. It's one of your threads, of course there's no point to it. :oops: