Carpe diem

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Carpe diem

Post by marjoram_blues »

A Latin aphorism from book 1 of the Roman poet Horace's work 'Odes' ( 23 BCE)

Can be translated as Seize the Day; Seize the Present; Pluck the Day - enjoy the moment.

What does it mean ? This phrase plucked out of an entire Ode...

As used by Horace, with his own philosophical background ( ? what ) it could mean something entirely different from that of Robin Williams in 'Dead Poets Society' -

or Terry Pratchett's nod to the saying: ' Carpe Jugulum' :

' But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?'

' Nac mac Feegle wha hae !'
marjoram_blues

Being ' in the moment'

Post by marjoram_blues »

Is 'being in the now' different from 'seizing the day'?

In your opinion...

What's your understanding of these concepts ?

Anyone ?
Walker

Re: Carpe diem

Post by Walker »

The now is eternal.
To be in the now means to be in eternity, which is where you are now.

Phenomena exists in time, and is transitory.
Movement of mind activates time.

The phrase, “being in the now” is a conceptual observation that the real you, which is awareness, is witnessing the movement of time-bound phenomena from the vantage of the timeless eternal which is not apart from phenomena, but which is not phenomena.

The phenomena of moving mind may include memories of the most recent witnessing, such as the memory of the seams on a fastball prior to the home run.

“Seizing the day” is mind movement made from the “being in the now” state of consciousness, and results in some thing moving, even if that thing be fingers tippy-tapping on the keyboard.
seeds

Post by seeds »

marjoram_blues wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am A Latin aphorism from book 1 of the Roman poet Horace's work 'Odes' ( 23 BCE)

Can be translated as Seize the Day; Seize the Present; Pluck the Day - enjoy the moment.

What does it mean ?
Whenever I hear the phrase “carpe diem,” I picture a bored college professor using it to end a lecture to the freshman class that began with the equally parroted phrase “know thyself.”

I cannot help but think that these stock philosophical platitudes gained their unwarranted air of importance in the world of philosophy in the same way that overrated paintings such as the Mona Lisa, for example, gained their unwarranted air of importance in the world of art.

(Sorry for the rant. :D)
_______
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sometimes a cascade of spontaneously recalled clichés can masquerade as thought discoveries.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

seeds wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am A Latin aphorism from book 1 of the Roman poet Horace's work 'Odes' ( 23 BCE)

What does it mean ?
Whenever I hear the phrase “carpe diem,” I picture a bored college professor using it to end a lecture to the freshman class that began with the equally parroted phrase “know thyself.”

I cannot help but think that these stock philosophical platitudes gained their unwarranted air of importance in the world of philosophy in the same way that overrated paintings such as the Mona Lisa, for example, gained their unwarranted air of importance in the world of art.

(Sorry for the rant. :D)
_______
How do you translate it is glorious to rant in Latin :lol:

OK, even if stock philosophical platitudes make you sigh and roll your eyes, work through it.
Breathe,2, 3...

I too would really like to get past them and assorted hangers-on and discuss what they might mean to individuals... if they even pertain to everyday philosophy. Rather than high art, what we draw on...?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dear, I didn't try, I did.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 pm Dear, I didn't try, I did.
Yes, I noticed I missed your earlier post - hence my deletion :)
Dear.
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:54 pm
Dear.
I just had to get my six words in as a stand-alone comment, which sums up the thread title.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm
Dear.
I just had to get my six words in as a stand-alone comment, which sums up the thread title.
You never give up, do you.
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm
Dear.
You never give up, do you.
Gadzooks! I think you got it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

In my experience: seizing the day is a waste of time...the day ain't runnin' from you but is up in your face...no, much better to 'seize the throat' (cuz the throat-owner is either runnin' from you or trying damn hard to seize yours)...so let the day alone and go after the bastids you run across 'in' the day.
Walker

Post by Walker »

:lol:

Time to seize the chores until another diem.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

I'm more than happy to let go of most of my days, I have very few worth seizing.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Harbal wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:30 pm I'm more than happy to let go of most of my days, I have very few worth seizing.
Oh, Boo Hoo :cry:
Whoyougonnacall?
Ghostbusters!