The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:40 pm Now explain readers how almost all animal life started production at 2150 miles and how it stopped at 2161 miles.
Evolution didn't start and didn't stop, it is a continuous process that is continuing now. The Cambrian explosion happened over millions of years and was just a period of rapid evolution. Evolution was progressing before and continued to progress after, evolution didn't start and stop.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

davidm wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 pm
I don't know the timeline by heart like you. Adjust it as needed.

No one said that production stopped, explosion of animal life did.

So, explain Darwinianly how animal life had rapid evolution [your words] for about 20 million years and when it completed, continued at a slow pace.

That was my question. Insulting instead of answering only discloses your ignorance.

Hemoglobin follows Cambrian discussion.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

PauloL wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm Insulting instead of answering only discloses your ignorance.
Actually, it would seem more ignorant not to insult you, and it is hard to resist.
davidm

Post by davidm »

PauloL wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm Insulting instead of answering only discloses your ignorance.
Insulting you is only what you deserve. I've answered your questions repeatedly, and in detail.
Hemoglobin follows Cambrian discussion.
:lol:

Yah, righto, creationist troll.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm No one said that production stopped, explosion of animal life did.

You did here,

by PauloL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm
I questioned how natural selection just produced almost all animals, except a few, in 6 minutes (on the 24H trip) and then stopped production. I'm talking about Cambrian explosion.

It wasn't 6 minutes, it was severl milion years
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

davidm wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 am
Insulting you is only what you deserve. I've answered your questions repeatedly, and in detail.
So explain rapid evolution in Cambrian explosion and its huge slow down 11 miles ahead.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

thedoc wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:13 am It wasn't 6 minutes, it was severl milion years
Perfect. You give time lines, but then complain about using them.

It's 20 million years in 4.6 billion years Earth existence and in 3.77 to 4.2 billion since first live forms were produced.

Why such concentration of evolution that yielded almost all Animalia phyla (it only missed one)? Why did it start, and most importantly, why did it stop?
Greta

Post by Greta »

PauloL wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:08 am
So explain rapid evolution in Cambrian explosion and its huge slow down 11 miles ahead.
Reality does not always move or change at the same pace. That includes evolution. Sometimes there are growth spurts, sometimes slowdowns or stagnation.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Nothing in the theory of evolution demands that evolution's pace be constant over time. Just the opposite is predicted, as Dawkins discusses in the Blind Watchmaker. Another creationist talking point comes to nada.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

thedoc wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:09 am
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:04 am While I accept the theory of evolution as being explanative in a variety of cases, I still remain skeptical as to it being 100%.

Here's something to consider. From the moment that the human egg gets fertilized, it goes through stages that mimics biohistory, the fish stage and other stages of life up to the time it gets born. When it gets born, it has very little hair which is opposite to our primate ancestors having lots of hair. Then later on, the Homo Sapiens man child gets hairier as it grows into manhood and even more hair as it gets very old, opposite to human ancestors which has been losing hair throughout history (from a male perspective, females having even less hair).

Again I'm not saying that the theory is invalid. But I think there are complications it can't handle.

What do you think about this?

PhilX
I think that if you truly understood the scope of evolution over millions of years for human type animals, and billions with respect to all life on planet earth, you wouldn't have to ask such a question. In other words, there is no necessary need for the correlation between that which you've outlined above.
Very few scientific theories are 100% about anything, and the idea of human hairiness is not 100% true, some are born with no hair and some are born with lots of hair.
The theory of recapitulation has been discredited in science.
I agree Doc!
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

thedoc wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:01 pm
PauloL wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:40 pm Now explain readers how almost all animal life started production at 2150 miles and how it stopped at 2161 miles.
Evolution didn't start and didn't stop, it is a continuous process that is continuing now. The Cambrian explosion happened over millions of years and was just a period of rapid evolution. Evolution was progressing before and continued to progress after, evolution didn't start and stop.
Exactly! That we don't, quite possible can't, have 100% of the story of the past, clear as day for us to see, has no necessary bearing on the truth factor of evolution.

If 40 pieces of a 1000 piece puzzle are missing does it negate seeing 100% of the puzzle?
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Greta wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 am
True.

But my answer keeps unanswered.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

davidm wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:18 pm
Nothing in the theory of evolution demands that evolution's pace be constant over time. Just the opposite is predicted, as Dawkins discusses in the Blind Watchmaker. Another creationist talking point comes to nada.
True.

But the mystery of rapid evolution, explosive indeed, where almost all animal phyla show up keeps a mystery.

Your talking point doesn't come to tudo.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm
If 40 pieces of a 1000 piece puzzle are missing does it negate seeing 100% of the puzzle?
No, it doesn't. But no one is negating Cambrian explosion, just asking for answers.
Greta

Post by Greta »

PauloL wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:48 pm
Greta wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 am[re: Cambrian explosion] Reality does not always move or change at the same pace. That includes evolution. Sometimes there are growth spurts, sometimes slowdowns or stagnation.
True. But my answer keeps unanswered.
Have you tried looking up the scientific literature? If you are that interested, I don't expect you'd have a problem paying for serious studies rather than the relatively light material available online for free.

Whether Cambrian or otherwise, any kind of "explosion", be it energetic or metaphorical as rapid structural change, suggests a buildup of pressure until a threshold is reached, then there is a sudden event. That is also how we were made :)