Self-liberation

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Self-liberation

Post by Harbal »

osgart wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:17 pm why would someone want to be liberated from mind in the first place?
Imagine you are Walker and then ask yourself that question. Just kidding, Walker, or am I. :)
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

This is not a proposal to get rid of mind, but to liberate it, in order to be able to unfold (use/apply) its tremendous potential
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

waechter418 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:51 pm This is not a proposal to get rid of mind, but to liberate it, in order to be able to unfold (use/apply) its tremendous potential
Its tremendous potential for what?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:53 pm
waechter418 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:51 pm This is not a proposal to get rid of mind, but to liberate it, in order to be able to unfold (use/apply) its tremendous potential
Its tremendous potential for what?
Need a laundry list Harb?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:22 pm
osgart wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:17 pm why would someone want to be liberated from mind in the first place?
Imagine you are Walker and then ask yourself that question. Just kidding, Walker, or am I. :)
Such imaginings applied to any question would do no harm.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:22 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:22 pm
Such imaginings applied to any question would do no harm.
Even so, I don't think I would risk it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:22 pm Even so, I don't think I would risk it.
You’ve hit upon the precise reason why the philosophy of human tampering with natural selection leads to the law of unintended consequences. It’s a front-end error. Packing only what fits into the mold leaves you with only what you recognize, and you may leave out the wrong thing, which was actually the right thing but made wrong by the leaving out.

It's like folks who say they take only the good aspects of a religion, a belief, or a way of life and leave the rest behind. When something is left out of the taking, then what's taken is something else. As natural as it may feel, the taking becomes a selection, a choice rather than an understanding.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:07 pm
You’ve hit upon the precise reason why the philosophy of human tampering with natural selection leads to the law of unintended consequences. It’s a front-end error. Packing only what fits into the mold leaves you with only what you recognize, and you may leave out the wrong thing, which was actually the right thing but made wrong by the leaving out.

It's like folks who say they take only the good aspects of a religion, a belief, or a way of life and leave the rest behind. When something is left out of the taking, then what's taken is something else. As natural as it may feel, the taking becomes a selection, a choice rather than an understanding.
If you say so, Walker, but I don't really know what it's got to do with anything. But then I never do with you.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:07 pm

If you say so, Walker, but I don't really know what it's got to do with anything. But then I never do with you.
Well, it has to do with osgart’s last quote, which you quoted to reference your own comment, and which I quoted third-hand by quoting your quotation in reference to my comment, in order to maintain the form of keeping things sequentially clear, keeping content separate from the form for just a moment. The causal chain of quotes has led here, to your befuddlement. Intention is revealing in the maintenance of the form, however, but ultimately if it leads to incomprehension, of what use is the form?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:12 pm The causal chain of quotes has led here,
What a remarkable instance of the lucky accident. If we'd been intending to end up here we wouldn't have stood a cat in hell's chance of finding it.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Albert Einstein understood what you mean. He wrote:
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained to liberation from the self.".
Why bother with liberation when a person has been conditioned to justify psychological slavery and consider it normal?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:21 pm Why bother with liberation when a person has been conditioned to justify psychological slavery and consider it normal?
In order to prevent that person ending up like you, Nicky, that's why.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:21 pm Why bother with liberation when a person has been conditioned to justify psychological slavery and consider it normal?
In order to prevent that person ending up like you, Nicky, that's why.
You should teach an adult education course titled: "The Joys of Psychological Slavery." You will become famous amongst the beautiful people and invited to be interviwed by the women of the TV show "The View" as the sane alternative to Trump. I'll watch that show.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:01 pm You should teach an adult education course
I'm not qualified to teach, besides, I'm not interested in educating anyone.
I'll watch that show.
I won't watch it because I don't have a TV set. To be honest, I'm surprised you watch TV, Nick, all TV does is promote the values of The Beast, I think you're a bit of a hypocrite.
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

Being great enough to pervade the whole Universe, mind should not be busied with trivialities and idle talks.

(Hui-Neng)