How do atheists find meaning in a purposeless universe?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: How do atheists find meaning in a purposeless universe?

Post by attofishpi »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 amYour website looks like some deep web propaganda site.
Doesn't appear that you had the time to view the actual artwork through the gallery 'Enter Beyond Reasonable Doubt'

www.androcies.com
Last edited by attofishpi on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:13 am...and may i add - God - uses its own 'technology' akin to A.I. to know everything about our lives.
What makes you say that?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:13 am...and may i add - God - uses its own 'technology' akin to A.I. to know everything about our lives.
What makes you say that?
From 20 years of direct experience - God is instantaneous - far too quick for mere man.

Mount SIN-AI

REAL_IT_Y?
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Sounds like he's supplying you with some awfully specific details.

How do you feel about other religious people who disagree with you on panentheism? Do you tolerate all gods?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 am Sounds like he's supplying you with some awfully specific details.

How do you feel about other religious people who disagree with you on panentheism? Do you tolerate all gods?
As I have often stated on this forum - there is one God - when it comes to 'Gods', it is only man's interpretations through there manifest experiences of IT. As the sage indicated to me, we are born within the family that we deserve, based on how we have lived out lives, such that one that was once born into a Christian family, but then the individual decided atheism was for him\her - will likely be born into an atheist upbringing, or buddhism if that's what his\her heart desired..etc.. of course, I could be wrong, my sage did not go into much detail at the time.
Greta

Post by Greta »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:00 am
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 am Sounds like he's supplying you with some awfully specific details.

As I have often stated on this forum - there is one God - when it comes to 'Gods', it is only man's interpretations through there manifest experiences of IT. As the sage indicated to me, we are born within the family that we deserve, based on how we have lived out lives, such that one that was once born into a Christian family, but then the individual decided atheism was for him\her - will likely be born into an atheist upbringing, or buddhism if that's what his\her heart desired..etc.. of course, I could be wrong, my sage did not go into much detail at the time.
What it the nature of this spirit that travels from one life to the next? What is spirit? What part of one's personality or character persists from life to life? What is the process that follows death and leads to being born again? Does that involve a physics of which we are not aware? Other dimensions?

Personally, I don't need metaphysics to believe life has meaning, which doesn't take away from anyone else's meaning of course. I just see everyone as a link in the chain between generations and, hopefully, continued progress, learning and understanding, just as we today have progressed so far in just a million years (and accelerating). We owe our existence to the efforts of those who came before us and that chain will continue with us. The inclinations and head-butting of all humans (and others) serve to shape both human society and the rest of nature. While nature, including humanity, is harsh, perhaps if life reaches a more mature form it will find less destructive solutions to survival and thrival?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greta wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:26 am

What it the nature of this spirit that travels from one life to the next? What is spirit? What part of one's personality or character persists from life to life? What is the process that follows death and leads to being born again? Does that involve a physics of which we are not aware? Other dimensions?

Personally, I don't need metaphysics to believe life has meaning, which doesn't take away from anyone else's meaning of course. I just see everyone as a link in the chain between generations and, hopefully, continued progress, learning and understanding, just as we today have progressed so far in just a million years (and accelerating). We owe our existence to the efforts of those who came before us and that chain will continue.
Everything is physics. My knowledge of God is that it is manifests ALL of our material being, indeed, all of matter. To know what a wo\man might consider a soul, is for me a tiny essence of that material being that is then ported to a newborn. I believe, God embeds many of our traits to go along and again manifest the new body.
The sage however, is immortal. God in its manifestation of the sage body maintains it beyond age, and this is something quite recently was suggested to me. I have not had a cold or a flu or any other illness for over 30 years.
Greta

Post by Greta »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:39 am
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:26 am

Personally, I don't need metaphysics to believe life has meaning, which doesn't take away from anyone else's meaning of course. I just see everyone as a link in the chain between generations and, hopefully, continued progress, learning and understanding, just as we today have progressed so far in just a million years (and accelerating). We owe our existence to the efforts of those who came before us and that chain will continue.
Everything is physics. My knowledge of God is that it is manifests ALL of our material being, indeed, all of matter. To know what a wo\man might consider a soul, is for me a tiny essence of that material being that is then ported to a newborn. I believe, God embeds many of our traits to go along and again manifest the new body.
The sage however, is immortal. God in its manifestation of the sage body maintains it beyond age, and this is something quite recently was suggested to me. I have not had a cold or a flu or any other illness for over 30 years.
The concept suggests seeds - that the spirit is a configuration in the fabric of space-time that tend to sprout "things that tend to operate like x" and, while we are alive, would seem to be largely reflected in the dynamic geometry of our neurons.

Now, considering the domain. Given the dynamic and chaotic nature of the quantum scale, it's hard to imagine how anything can hang together in that realm without forming detectable physical structures. The only remaining gap in which to insert spirit would seem to be the theoretical Planck scale, although that may just be a failure of imagination on my part and there may be a finer granularity again, other dimensions or a non-granular baseline of reality.

As for sages, your claim sounds like textbook Buddhism to me. My response is "maybe, maybe not". I've known non-believers who enjoy rude health too, so your anecdote doesn't constitute proof. People usually guess me to be ten years younger than I am, at least, but I've had a messy life, often indisciplined, and feel ten years older than I am.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

It appears to me that God operates at the finite degree of existence where either an event occurs or not, binary, and in likely hood IT is the defining factor as to whether that event does, or does not occur.

To consider God in IT terms - it is the Operating System. As a doG is termed man's best friend - best not make God an enemy- for its wrath is severe (from experience) Man's justice is Just Ice.
Greta

Post by Greta »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:08 amIt appears to me that God operates at the finite degree of existence where either an event occurs or not, binary, and in likely hood IT is the defining factor as to whether that event does, or does not occur.

To consider God in IT terms - it is the Operating System. As a doG is termed man's best friend - best not make God an enemy- for its wrath is severe (from experience) Man's justice is Just Ice.
Cannot get my head around the first statement at this stage. What's the relationship with time in context?

I just had a notion of Windows as a microcosm of God and realised why reality seems to have so many security flaws and glitches :) To be fair, God would have to be open source which makes Linux the most likely anologue - ostensibly inclusive while being practically exclusive, highly mysterious and almost completely impenetrable to all but gurus.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greta wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:26 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:08 amIt appears to me that God operates at the finite degree of existence where either an event occurs or not, binary, and in likely hood IT is the defining factor as to whether that event does, or does not occur.

Cannot get my head around the first statement at this stage. What's the relationship with time in context?

I just had a notion of Windows as a microcosm of God and realised why reality seems to have so many security flaws and glitches :) To be fair, God would have to be open source which makes Linux the most likely anologue - ostensibly inclusive while being practically exclusive, highly mysterious and almost completely impenetrable to all but gurus.
Ah, c'mon, lets not get bedded down in semantics - i did not state 'windows' I just stated an OS. My experience of God and IT over the years has helped me comprehend certain abstractions of thought, forget all together OS of any manifestation! PLEASE! Just comprehend the nature of an overriding system that permits and allows allocation of resources available to subprograms within it, and their level of access to those resources, most of the time being masked by the God - the OS!

The first statement i made:- "It appears to me that God operates at the finite degree of existence where either an event occurs or not, binary, and in likely hood IT is the defining factor as to whether that event does, or does not occur."

Requires you to understand that without an event - there is NO time.
Greta

Post by Greta »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:37 am
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:26 am

Ah, c'mon, lets not get bedded down in semantics - i did not state 'windows' I just stated an OS. My experience of God and IT over the years has helped me comprehend certain abstractions of thought, forget all together OS of any manifestation! PLEASE! Just comprehend the nature of an overriding system that permits and allows allocation of resources available to subprograms within it, and their level of access to those resources, most of the time being masked by the God - the OS!

The first statement i made:- "It appears to me that God operates at the finite degree of existence where either an event occurs or not, binary, and in likely hood IT is the defining factor as to whether that event does, or does not occur."

Requires you to understand that without an event - there is NO time.
Okay. Thanks for explaining atto.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:54 am
Conde Lucanor wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:35 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 am

Since 1997 I have had God's existence proved to me.
By 1989 I have had god's existence unproved to me. So I beat you for at least 8 years.
No, it only proves you were deceived.
Nice. See? Now you know you can counteract your own arguments.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:56 am
Conde Lucanor wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 am

Wrong, it just proves how simple you consider the nature of reality. REAL_IT_Y?
No, that just proves that we have different definitions of simplicity. Believing in an invisible man in the sky shows the same simplicity of mind than believing in the visible man with reindeer in the sky.
No there was no 'invisible man' in the sky - that is the massive fallacy of it all.
After a good night sleep, I had a revelation this morning. I know now that there is indeed an invisible man in the sky, wearing an Aztec helmet and named Nahuatl. You can't prove me wrong.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 am
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:45 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Give me your mobile phone for analysis, i'm sure i can prove you do not.

Your turn, prove God does not exist...Chaz.
Prove is not required for non existence; only existence. The burden of proof is on you. What the fuck do you mean by "god" anyway?
Since 1997 I have had God's existence proved to me. Panantheism appears the closest glove that fits, coupled with the existence of Christ. The burden of prove does not lie with anyone such as myself to convince an atheist with 'proof' that God exists, since they are the unfortunate simpletons on the equation of the DOUBT that God has insisted pervades. One should then consider - why all the DOUBT? There is a reason for it, and it is NOT because God does not exist.
You already told us that was when you had a bang on the head.