Current Reads: What is Everyone Reading?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

amateurphilosophynerd

Re: Current Reads: What is Everyone Reading?

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

I am reading Doris Lessing's 'The Golden Notebook'.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Notebook ... 0007247206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which is before I read Martha Nussbaum's 'Upheaval of the Emotions' as it logically fits in before 'Hiding from Humanity' her next whopper.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upheavals-Thoug ... 0521531829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am trying to come to terms with the inherent logical idea that reading is BIG BOOKS not just SMALLER BOOKS hence the proliferation of Academics on Librarything setting a valiant example.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Gareth wrote:Ive just finished reading cancer ward by Solzhenitsyn, brilliant book, really gets you thinking about questions of how far you take the idea of "saving" someone. Makes you think about people's different perceptions of a problem too. Anyone read it?
Also Im thinking of reading In Cold Blood next.
Any philosophicalness in that?[/
quote]
Absolutely none.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

I'm reading Roger Scruton's BEAUTY. http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Roger-Scru ... 441&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoy reading Scruton.
amateurphilosophynerd

I am now reading Martha Nussbaum 'Upheaval of Thought' The Intelligence of the Emotions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upheavals-Thoug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 0521531829
My Second Massive Tome for this year If I am a really good girl I do a number of Tomes but more especially ease myself into Tome Reading as is normal elsewhere.
amateurphilosophynerd

Gareth wrote:Ive just finished reading cancer ward by Solzhenitsyn, brilliant book, really gets you thinking about questions of how far you take the idea of "saving" someone. Makes you think about people's different perceptions of a problem too. Anyone read it?

Also Im thinking of reading In Cold Blood next. Any philosophicalness in that?

I have read 'In Cold Blood' Truman Capote.
In it he novelizes a real crime and he does so very effectively. I think you should have a philosophy of 'novelization of factual material' IMHO.
amateurphilosophynerd

I have just read Sue Monk Kidd The Secret Life of Books a total delight.
Book 13 !!! Making Nussbaum No 14 or my second Big Tome.!!
amateurphilosophynerd

I listened to all 10 sections 10 hours? of Nietzsche Beyond Good and Evil.
he has some blinding points but is still an unknown qauntity beyond being a miserable git.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

hi apn,

the other night i rediscovered the Anthology of American Literature Volume II: Realism to the Present

i've had it for a long time and have read it here and there, but i've been working on something else lately and have become frustrated, and so i sat on my couch and ended up staring right at it so i grabbed it and started reading it again

its not so bad, you might like it? immediatly i thought of you because its 2104 pages lol, and i know how you like big books :lol:

The american realists and naturalists were (or said to be) influenced by by various europeans, and i decided to check out some that i hadn't experienced yet from the list like Zola, Flaubert, and Balzac.

so this weekend i was planning to look for those 3 at the library.

also in this actual book there is a short story by Saul Bellow that i wanted to read tonight called 'Seize the Day,' and one i read the other night i liked a lot by Ring Lardner called 'Some Like Them Cold'.

would you like a brief description of the authors? i thought they were interesting, if you'd like i will post it for you.

and if you or anyone is allready familiar with Zola, Flaubert, and Balzac that would be great if you could let me know what you think of them. I did a little research into them allready and found all of them very interesting, so that's why i wanted to hopefully check them out this weekend.

thanks

p.s., i had a strange experience at a 'hotel california' the other night, lol, who knew that they really exist?
amateurphilosophynerd

Bus2Bondi
Initial Reply
I am TRYING ATTEMPTING to read some big tomes, merely because circumstances dictate I do.
You are no less capable and are far more well read than I am (thread about Rawls and other key people).
Big Tomes have been the bane of of my life but NOTHING in my Library will be wasted including Rawls Theory of Justice, the various Companions to Philosophy of some sort or files on my computer including Proust (Taylor Reference from 'Sources of the Self'.
Your offer is a very kind offer and I won't be able to resist it but all Tomes are but a learning curve for me which I have got to grasp for my own good. Like Medicine take it down I will get use to it -in time- so I can emulate those Intellectuals I admire from so poor a position (both in potential Academy terms if I can make it and positionally in terms of multiple disadvantage I am forced to endure [multiple scholars authoritative papers).
But if I am to take full advantage of the Academia that is in my hand then I have to grasp every opportunity (or try too!!) to learn and do the job right because the issues are too important (and god awful costly as well).
If you wish to get rid of it I would more than appreciate it as I would love to be exposed to the French authors.
What a kind offer
best of eudaimonistic wishes
APN
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

right so i read in cold blood and there's is some "philisophicalness" in it. Quite good provocation on the question of what the nature of punishment is and the debatability of blame, relating to sanity. In fact I've read of mice and men since then and they touch on similar ideas.
Wootah

Post by Wootah »

I just read Tipping Point again. Or scanned it again. Great book well worth reading or scanning when you want to rethink things.
amateurphilosophynerd

I also reading The God Delusion for a crash course in Atheism. Only Nussbaum and dawkins now! Book 18 and 19 this year!! I am not yet on two books a month let alone a book a week. My lovely Philosophy Audiobooks on Librivox Bertrand Russell Aristotle, Boethius, Plato etc (must post up list so PN Readers and maybe even Academics can download!!) for your enjoyment. Kant Critique of pure reason is a 48 section whopper and Leviathan is also in two parts also. Long live Librivox Philosophy that's what I say and reading.
TrappedInsideMyHead

Post by TrappedInsideMyHead »

Currently reading "Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett.
Rachel A

Post by Rachel A »

Found a .10 cent copy of A.J. Ayer's Language, Truth, and Logic. Great read, but break out the ex-lax.
amateurphilosophynerd

Also Im thinking of reading In Cold Blood next. Any philosophicalness in that?
I think both books have philosophic implications that of saving someone as a concept for one .( my Mum had a copy of Cancer Ward but advised me against reading it as she thought it too upsetting)
In Cold Blood which I have read (and very good it is too) does throw open the scope of the documentary novel or turning newstories onto novels. There are all kinds of philosophical implications in that from privacy and rights to rights arguments to representational arguments. So I refuse to separate philosophy from Literature as they both are integral.