Hello from a chinese guy

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

sky.xi

Hello from a chinese guy

Post by sky.xi »

Hello,

My name is Sky, 26, PhD in engineering in Exeter Uni.
No religion, same as other guys in my age from china, but I do hope I can have a religion.

Sometimes feel lonely in thinking styles, and would like to make friends here and exchange ideas and thoughts.

Hope I can learn a lot from your thoughts and ideas, and hope I can make some contribution.
ala1993

Re: Hello from a chinese guy

Post by ala1993 »

Hi there Sky. Welcome to the forum, and I hope to have some interesting discussions with you.

Also, and just to let you know, if someone calling themselves 'realunoriginal' writes a response to something you've written that seems insulting to you (or if you read something he/she has written that you find to be offensive) don't worry! He/she does it to everyone, and it's probably best to ignore it (most of us do!). That said, you'll find everyone else on these boards to be intelligent, patient and thoughtful. Glad you could join in!
HERMANN RUSSELL

Post by HERMANN RUSSELL »

Good evening Sky,

I have only recently joined the Forum. In fact this is, believe it or not, my first contribution to a Forum. Not that I assume I have much to say. For that matter, I may not even have much to think about. Either way, I am pleased to say HELLO to a young man from the land of CONFUCIUS.

Book XV - No. 11 - The Master said, He who will not worry about what is far off will soon find something worse than worry close at hand. (Fifth Impression - Arthur Whaley).

I hope my first 'posting' finds you in good spirit. One question - when you say "I hope I can have a religion" - do you mean you feel you need religion, or that with religion you will not feel as "lonely"?

Enlighten me Sky..............
sky.xi

Post by sky.xi »

Hi ala,

Thanks for your advice, i am still a learner, and hope to learn sth from everyone.
ray

Post by ray »

Welcome, hope we chat good.
sky.xi

Post by sky.xi »

HERMANN RUSSELL wrote:Good evening Sky,

I hope my first 'posting' finds you in good spirit. One question - when you say "I hope I can have a religion" - do you mean you feel you need religion, or that with religion you will not feel as "lonely"?

Enlighten me Sky..............
Hi Hermann,

I mean I feel I need a religion.
The education in China make everyone believe that there is no god, and thus a lot of people have no religions.

For me, life is not only the food, sleep, friends, and respect from others. I still need somethings in spirit, such as, to think about who am I, where did I come from, what is the sense for life etc... I think religion is the thing to help me to solve these questions.
sky.xi

Post by sky.xi »

ray wrote:Welcome, hope we chat good.
Thanks, i am just a beginner in philosophy, and have not attend any proper course.
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

Some of the wisest men in history come from China: Kung Fu-Tzu, Zhuang-Tzu, Lao-tzu, Mencius...the list goes on...

Do they teach you this stuff at school in China?
sky.xi

Post by sky.xi »

Nikolai wrote:Some of the wisest men in history come from China: Kung Fu-Tzu, Zhuang-Tzu, Lao-tzu, Mencius...the list goes on...

Do they teach you this stuff at school in China?
Hi Nikolai,

We were taught a lot on communism, and a bit on Kung Fu-Tzu , little on the others because of political reasons.

I read some of their stories when I was a small boy and found them very intelligent.
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

I read some of their stories when I was a small boy and found them very intelligent.
Nothing from the west comes close. Possible Parmenides and Heraclitus but we have so little of their writings that its hard to judge.

Zhuang-tzu makes Socrates look like an amateur