Is doing evil a necessity of life?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

PauloL

Re: Is doing evil a necessity of life?

Post by PauloL »

thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 pm
Vendetta wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm What is it that could make God intentionally allow for an individual to die if he had the capability to prevent it?
Is it possible that the greater good to God is a soul going to Heaven rather than continuing it's life on Earth?
That's really hard to answer. If it was absolutely true, there would be no life on Earth, as all souls should be in Heaven.

On the other hand, a person can die from the time in utero until more than a hundred years later, which doesn't help answering your question.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:45 pm
PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:46 pm I like your reasoning very much, a dilemma, God must either be limited or evil.
How about self limiting. The assumption is that God is all powerful, but given free will, can God choose to not exercise that power?
Yes, I think so, and that could explain the limits in our world that contribute to evil, but as I told before, that's against the dogmas. God is almighty.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:00 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:45 pm
PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:46 pm I like your reasoning very much, a dilemma, God must either be limited or evil.
How about self limiting. The assumption is that God is all powerful, but given free will, can God choose to not exercise that power?
Yes, I think so, and that could explain the limits in our world that contribute to evil, but as I told before, that's against the dogmas. God is almighty.
I guess that would depend on who you ask.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Thedoc, what do you mean? If you ask a Philosopher or a Theologian, for instance? In that case the answer would be different for sure.

But if you're talking about God to be almighty, I think the answer would be the same as this is a religious dogma and is taken by Philosophy within the concepts of God to work on the subject.
Last edited by PauloL on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 pm
Vendetta wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm What is it that could make God intentionally allow for an individual to die if he had the capability to prevent it?
Is it possible that the greater good to God is a soul going to Heaven rather than continuing it's life on Earth?
That's really hard to answer. If it was absolutely true, there would be no life on Earth, as all souls should be in Heaven.

On the other hand, a person can die from the time in utero until more than a hundred years later, which doesn't help answering your question.
Not necessarily, there is in some belief systems the "age of accountability" so if a person doesn't reach that age is their soul really worth saving in Heaven? As far as I know that age is not specified, so a very young person could qualify. And what are they accountable for? is that even within the ability for a human to know?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 pm Thedoc, what do you mean? If you ask a Philosopher or a Theologian, for instance? In that case the answer would be different for sure.
You're right, but which would have a better understanding of theology?
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

But thedoc, we're talking about a victim of gravity, and this can happen at any age. We can think about the soul of a 30-year-old man on the floor, but what if that's a pregnant woman with a soul inside her? I think there's no easy answer.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 pm But if you're talking about God to be almighty, I think the answer would be the same as this is a religious dogma and is taken by Philosophy within the concepts of God to work on the subject.
I don't think that Theology and Philosophy would have the same answer for this topic.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:15 pm
PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 pm Thedoc, what do you mean? If you ask a Philosopher or a Theologian, for instance? In that case the answer would be different for sure.
I'm sorry that I edited my reply as you typed and that might answer in part.

I think the Theologian has the best understanding of course, as the Theologian supplies the source material for Philosophy of Religion.

Further, Philosophy gives no answers, only discusses topics, but Theology may give answers (which answers the question about the souls, I think).
Last edited by PauloL on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:16 pm But thedoc, we're talking about a victim of gravity, and this can happen at any age. We can think about the soul of a 30-year-old man on the floor, but what if that's a pregnant woman with a soul inside her? I think there's no easy answer.
I didn't say it was an easy question for man, but I would think that God could figure it out. Where is it written in stone that God must conform to human expectations?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

We seem to be online at the same time posting past each other.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Well, that might be more the contrary, that man must conform to God's expectations. :)
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:21 pm We seem to be online at the same time posting past each other.
I think so, that why this un-synchronizes from time to time.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:19 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:15 pm
I'm sorry that I edited my reply as you typed and that might answer in part.

I think the Theologian has the best understanding of course, as the Theologian supplies the source material for Philosophy of Religion.

Further, Philosophy gives no answers, only discusses topics, but Theology may give answers (which answers the question about the souls, I think).
Not a problem.

I think it is unfortunate that so many religious people have questions and there are many "experts" in religion who are willing to give answers.

I once had a conversation with my father, and the conversation got around to Heaven. He said "someone told him that in Heaven we would spend all day worshiping God and singing God's praises." he then said "If that is what Heaven is, I don't think I want to go there." I should have pointed out that was just one persons idea of what Heaven was, and didn't apply to everyone, but I was a bit stunned and didn't know what to say at the time.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:23 pm Well, that might be more the contrary, that man must conform to God's expectations. :)
I think you're right on that.