Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Young Frankenstein.
Case closed.
Thanks for agreeing.
Keep your Carry On films, your prejudice is showing.
You forget the remarks you made about Woody Allen.
I said there were exceptions. And Woody Allen hasn't made a funny film for donkey's years. 'My' Carry On films? They were awful. I always found the Peter Sellers Pink Panther films really funny, and I think I laughed all the way through The Holy Grail. But of course tastes change. It would be interesting to see them again. With hindsight I think I did find Young Frankenstein quite funny. It's a certain genre of heavy-handed American comedy that leaves me cold eg. Most things with Jim Carey (face-pulling isn't hilarious to me), Animal House, Dumb and Dumber, The Three Stooges (Marx Brothers were good), The Hangover...To be fair a lot of British humour is bloody awful too. There was a Carry On film on tv the other night, and I don't know how it was ever made public. Sid James would be arrested for lewd, degenerate behaviour and assault. How times have changed.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Carry On films? They were awful. I always found the Peter Sellers Pink Panther films really funny, and I think I laughed all the way through The Holy Grail. But of course tastes change. It would be interesting to see them again. With hindsight I think I did find Young Frankenstein quite funny. It's a certain genre of heavy-handed American comedy that leaves me cold eg. Most things with Jim Carey (face-pulling isn't hilarious to me, Animal House, Dumb and Dumber, The Three Stooges (Marx Brothers were good), The Hangover...To be fair a lot of British humour is bloody awful too. There was a Carry On film on tv the other night, and I don't know how it was ever made public. Sid James would be arrested for lewd, degenerate behaviour and assault. How times have changed.
Your taste in comedy is very much in tune with mine, VT. Well done, it's not often I come across someone as sophisticated as myself. :wink:
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Carry On films? They were awful. I always found the Peter Sellers Pink Panther films really funny, and I think I laughed all the way through The Holy Grail. But of course tastes change. It would be interesting to see them again. With hindsight I think I did find Young Frankenstein quite funny. It's a certain genre of heavy-handed American comedy that leaves me cold eg. Most things with Jim Carey (face-pulling isn't hilarious to me, Animal House, Dumb and Dumber, The Three Stooges (Marx Brothers were good), The Hangover...To be fair a lot of British humour is bloody awful too. There was a Carry On film on tv the other night, and I don't know how it was ever made public. Sid James would be arrested for lewd, degenerate behaviour and assault. How times have changed.
Your taste in comedy is very much in tune with mine, VT. Well done, it's not often I come across someone as sophisticated as myself. :wink:
Same here. :wink:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thanks for agreeing.
I said there were exceptions. And Woody Allen hasn't made a funny film for donkey's years. 'My' Carry On films? They were awful..
Well Duh - there are always exceptions.

Oh and BTW. The Pink Panther films were made by Blake Edwards and that makes them American.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Oh and BTW. The Pink Panther films were made by Blake Edwards and that makes them American.
They wouldn't have worked without Peter Sellers.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I said there were exceptions. And Woody Allen hasn't made a funny film for donkey's years. 'My' Carry On films? They were awful..

Oh and BTW. The Pink Panther films were made by Blake Edwards and that makes them American.
Tsk tsk. Act your age. I know who Blake Edwards is.
And I forgot Adam Sandler. He must have made a pact with the devil to get famous. He's possibly the least funny human being to ever walk the earth.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I said there were exceptions. And Woody Allen hasn't made a funny film for donkey's years. 'My' Carry On films? They were awful..

You ask me to act my age. The Pink Panther films are American made, written and directed by Americans, and made by Mirisch, an American production company.
So go and get yourself a life whilst you are about it too.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

You ask me to act my age. The Pink Panther films are American made, written and directed by Americans, and made by Mirisch, an American production company.
Your point? Woody Allen is American too. Peter Sellers 'made' those films, as Harbal just pointed out. I think you are going senile. You used to post quite intelligently, now you don't seem to have any reading comprehension skills at all. 'Get a life': a typically obnoxious Americanism with no discernible meaning.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tsk tsk. Act your age. I know who Blake Edwards is.
Your point? Woody Allen is American too. Peter Sellers 'made' those films, as Harbal just pointed out. I think you are going senile. You used to post quite intelligently, now you don't seem to have any reading comprehension at all.
Peter Sellers whilst great was not enough to "make" ANY film. He was as capable of starring in turkeys just like any comic actor.
Maybe you've not seen his last film The Fiendish Plot of Fu Manchu.

The fact remains that his best films were American.
And some of the best comedy films are American;
Some lIke it Hot
The Graduate
Laurel and Hardy films
As Good as it Gets
The Witches of Eastwick
The Producers
The Blues Brothers
Team America
Groundhog Day
This is Spinal Tap.

The list goes on and on.
Sometimes when you get a bug in your arse about a country you tend to forget the good things. Obviously there is very little like Life of Brian, but you can't dismiss hundreds of great films because they are not the Life of Brian.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: You ask me to act my age. The Pink Panther films are American made, written and directed by Americans, and made by Mirisch, an American production company.
Your point? Woody Allen is American too. Peter Sellers 'made' those films, as Harbal just pointed out. I think you are going senile. You used to post quite intelligently, now you don't seem to have any reading comprehension at all.
Peter Sellers whilst great was not enough to "make" ANY film. He was as capable of starring in turkeys just like any comic actor.

Some lIke it Hot
The Graduate
Laurel and Hardy films
As Good as it Gets
The Witches of Eastwick
The Producers
The Blues Brothers
Team America
Groundhog Day
This is Spinal Tap.

The list goes on and on.
Sometimes when you get a bug in your arse about a country you tend to forget the good things. Obviously there is very little like Life of Brian, but you can't dismiss hundreds of great films because they are not the Life of Brian.
I give up. Keep reading what you want to read. Actually I rather liked 'Fu Manchu'. :lol:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Your point? Woody Allen is American too. Peter Sellers 'made' those films, as Harbal just pointed out. I think you are going senile. You used to post quite intelligently, now you don't seem to have any reading comprehension at all.

Some lIke it Hot
The Graduate
Laurel and Hardy films
As Good as it Gets
The Witches of Eastwick
The Producers
The Blues Brothers
Team America
Groundhog Day
This is Spinal Tap.

The list goes on and on.
I give up. Keep reading what you want to read. Actually I rather liked 'Fu Manchu'. :lol:
yes give up - are you actually telling me that of those listed you liked none of them?
Are you saying ANY of them fit your shit dip stick criteria; "Americans can't do film comedy. They lack any subtletly or sophistication and are typically juvenile."
And yet you say you liked Fu Manchu?
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

Some lIke it Hot
The Graduate
Laurel and Hardy films
As Good as it Gets
The Witches of Eastwick
The Producers
The Blues Brothers
Team America
Groundhog Day
This is Spinal Tap.

The list goes on and on.
yes give up - are you actually telling me that of those listed you liked none of them?
Are you saying ANY of them fit your shit dip stick criteria; "Americans can't do film comedy. They lack any subtletly or sophistication and are typically juvenile."
Did I say 'haven't ever been able to'? You need to learn to read. Is 'Team America' that puppet one? Yes, that was funny. 'As good as it gets'. An awful film. Can't see what was funny about it. Groundhog day. Very clever. I don't know if I'd call it a comedy though. Most of your list is pretty old. You need to learn to recognise hyperbole, and get a sense of humour. I'm surprised you like any comedy films. You take everything literally.
As for Fu Manchu. It's still better than The Hangover.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I give up. Keep reading what you want to read. Actually I rather liked 'Fu Manchu'. :lol:
Did I say 'haven't ever been able to'? You need to learn to read. Is 'Team America' that puppet one? Yes, that was funny. 'As good as it gets'. An awful film. Can't see what was funny about it. Groundhog day. Very clever. I don't know if I'd call it a comedy though. Most of your list is pretty old. You need to learn to recognise hyperbole, and get a sense of humour. I'm surprised you like any comedy films. You take everything literally.
You need to learn that hyperbole just makes you look stupid.

If you are looking for something subtle and more recent try Little Miss Sunshine or Juno
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
You need to learn that hyperbole just makes you look stupid.

If you are looking for something subtle and more recent try Little Miss Sunshine or Juno
Being stupid makes you look stupid.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Veggie wrote:
Yes, that was pretty funny. This scence always stuck in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh-r-BjOfKg
HA! There are quite a few little gems like that one all through the movie.