Real men don't eat quiche!

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Real men don't eat quiche!

Post by thedoc »

marjoram_blues wrote: ' So what do real men eat then?'
All-right I'll bite? What do real men eat? (I already know the stereotypical answer.)

BTW, I like my steaks rare, my daughter accuses me of having to chase the meat across my plate.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

The saying came from the title of this satirical book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Men_Don't_Eat_Quiche

It spent 55 weeks on the NYT bestseller list, apparently!
henry quirk

what I do with food, any food...

Post by henry quirk »

...I eat it.

Good food, bad food, manly food, pussy food, healthy food, crappy food: I eat it.

The barely dead steak, the wussy quiche, a ham sandwich, roasted crickets: I eat it.

Any one turnin' a nose up at food ('cept for the obviously rotten) doesn't understand that scarcity is always around the corner and probably deserves to starve.

Plenty is not forever: eat that food while you got it.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What's unmanly about eating a bacon and egg flan?

That the french make a tastier version is just them being French and lorraine's is the best.
thedoc

Re: what I do with food, any food...

Post by thedoc »

henry quirk wrote:...I eat it.

Good food, bad food, manly food, pussy food, healthy food, crappy food: I eat it.

The barely dead steak, the wussy quiche, a ham sandwich, roasted crickets: I eat it.

Any one turnin' a nose up at food ('cept for the obviously rotten) doesn't understand that scarcity is always around the corner and probably deserves to starve.

Plenty is not forever: eat that food while you got it.
Yes, but are you a real man?

I don't give much credence to what someone says "real men" do or don't do, I just do what I think is right.

I used to enjoy a good cold beer on a hot summer day, now I find that it aggravates my gout, so I don't drink it. I also heard someone say that it isn't gout till you couldn't walk, and that you can't control gout with diet, but he wasn't a podiatrist, so I didn't put much stock in what he said. I did listen to what a podiatrist said.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Yes, but are you a real man?"

According to Harbal's ma, I am.
thedoc

Re:

Post by thedoc »

henry quirk wrote:"Yes, but are you a real man?"

Well that's good enough for me, even though I don't give any credence to what Harbal posts, where did she go wrong?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Re:

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote:

Well that's good enough for me, even though I don't give any credence to what Harbal posts, where did she go wrong?
I'm sure he will accept the compliment with his customary good humour.
thedoc

Re: Re:

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
thedoc wrote:

I'm sure he will accept the compliment with his customary good humour.
I'm thankful for small favors.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

is she also a Podiatrist?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

reasonvemotion wrote:

is she also a Podiatrist?
She does everyone else, so why not. :lol:
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

reasonvemotion wrote:What is this BS!

Had a male friend over for dinner, was wondering what to cook and because it was hot and frankly I didn't want to launch into a heavy meal I decided to make a quiche. I baked the casing first, the filling comprised of goat's cheese, spinach, egg, cream, grated zucchini and semi sun dried tomatoes. It was delicious and I was confident he had enjoyed it. So I asked, (because he wasn't forthcoming with any praise) did you enjoy that?

He said, Real mean don't eat quiche. HA! I said What? he said haven't you heard that saying? and frankly I hadn't. But it intrigued me and I did some research and this is what I came up with.

'Apparently, there’s some truth to men’s culinary fickleness:

Meat is manly. Salad is not.

It's a scientific fact. Researchers at Northwestern University have found that men tend to choose what they perceive as masculine foods, like gravy, rib-eye steaks, and foods described as "hearty," over supposedly feminine foods like red wine sauce and fillets and "luscious" salads, providing support for the old adage that real men don't eat quiche".

https://vimeo.com/74236999
I eat quiche. As a matter of fact, I've even baked quiche. I'm one of those men that are much like Mikey, I'll eat anything. Of course my preference is clams/tacos. ;-) Of course I do like to feel full, so if it's a veggie quiche, better make several, because I'll probably want one all to myself. ;-)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: I eat quiche. As a matter of fact, I've even baked quiche. I'm one of those men that are much like Mikey, I'll eat anything. Of course my preference is clams/tacos. ;-) Of course I do like to feel full, so if it's a veggie quiche, better make several, because I'll probably want one all to myself. ;-)
Yes but are you a real man? I like quiche when I can get it, but I'm Leary of eating too many eggs.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

thedoc wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: I eat quiche. As a matter of fact, I've even baked quiche. I'm one of those men that are much like Mikey, I'll eat anything. Of course my preference is clams/tacos. ;-) Of course I do like to feel full, so if it's a veggie quiche, better make several, because I'll probably want one all to myself. ;-)
Yes but are you a real man?
I guess that depends upon your definition of what a "real man" is. But I for one, don't believe that food selection has anything to do with it.

I like quiche when I can get it, but I'm Leary of eating too many eggs.
Actually, from what knowledge I've been able to accumulate, 'good' eggs, one can eat at any quantity without concern. "Good" eggs come from chickens that are free range on uncontaminated land, with much life, where they can eat what wild chickens used to eat all those years ago. Trust me the eggs are wonderful tasting where the yolks are deep orange, not pale yellow. They have increased protein, omega three, and less cholesterol. We spend over $5.00 a dozen for them, but they are worth every penny, if one likes eggs.

I have this recipe for a smoked salmon quiche with a potato crust that's to die for, if you like smoked salmon of course.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
thedoc wrote: I like quiche when I can get it, but I'm Leary of eating too many eggs.
Actually, from what knowledge I've been able to accumulate, 'good' eggs, one can eat at any quantity without concern. "Good" eggs come from chickens that are free range on uncontaminated land, with much life, where they can eat what wild chickens used to eat all those years ago. Trust me the eggs are wonderful tasting where the yolks are deep orange, not pale yellow. They have increased protein, omega three, and less cholesterol. We spend over $5.00 a dozen for them, but they are worth every penny, if one likes eggs.

I have this recipe for a smoked salmon quiche with a potato crust that's to die for, if you like smoked salmon of course.
When I was much younger I used to get ulcers in my mouth and it turned out that they were related to how many eggs I was eating. It seems that the albumin in the eggs effected the nerves and that would trigger more ulcers, in fact Our family doctor advised that I not eat so many eggs because they effected the nervous system and I was susceptible to St Vitus Dance. I know this is not the usual diagnosis, but it was what I discovered in my own case. I haven't had a mouth ulcer for many years so I think I might have outgrown the problem.

If you have a recipe, post it or send it to me in a PM.