A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The development of the ego is knowledge of self is straightaway certainty of self, at the same time mixed of worldly things.

Knowledge of self is entangled in the world of appearance and this causes people to convince themselves that it is difficult knowing self. This comes from the fact that they never raise their minds above appearance are so accustomed to consider nothing but material things.

The mind when resting upon truth shines radiant with intelligence. Consider too that since the endeavor of knowing self is most important we should not try to wrestle by pulling from mind all the wrong opinions, which we had up to now accepted.

Now instead we should occupy cultivating reason, and in advancing it as much as possible in our mind.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Knowledge is not a kind of dogmatism of mere allegations and assurance its dogmatism is mere self-certainty. Instead, knowledge is absorbed in the immanent self of the content for this activity is pure self-identity in other.

Certainty and knowledge constitute ethics and that is where the very principle of reason lies in. There is a conflict between reason and feeling and the conflict should be resolved, and that a unity of both should come out as a result is ethics. Reason assures us that what we do is true. The senses cannot ever assure anything, if reason does not intervene and lead and light up the confusion.

There are two main divisions of reason one is truth and the other knowledge.

Now if knowledge were just mere opinion it would be a very tiresome study. Therefore, we must have a willingness to give profound thinking that exalts truth in order to approach it the right way. That is in order for it to be of real use is a natural way.

Come and rise out of the sea of change and lay hold to true knowledge not as amateurs but until seen with your mind only. Come give much facility in sifting out all the questions embraced in knowledge, the most simple and difficult only then we will not grapple with wrong opinion.

When we become bamboozled naturally, we summon the mind to contemplate that, which cannot adequately be perceived by sight or by any of the other senses. If they could, there would be nothing to attract attention to; but because there is always some contradiction present, such as one is the reverse of one this involves plurality here arouses thought we want to know draws the mind to contemplate.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The absolute feature of self its supreme wealth is feeling. Everything is reduced to feeling; joy, pain, any mental feeling, seeing and hearing, a communion with self.

Self is like a seed becoming to being when stimulated from outside. The process is self-becoming something greater like the seed drawn out by light; climbs out towards light, dividing into many plants. The same o the fully accomplished self is ideally free.

There is in the mind one set over in the intellectual world, the other in the visible world. This subdivision in respect of clearness first consists of visible world seen through feelings. But what is great and what is small is seen with mind only here arithmetic and calculation rises out of the sea of change and is laid hold of truth.

The best method to understand self relate to the world. consists in asking how does our concept must compare to the idea of world and self.

The world is separated into determinates; one is complete abstract limitless unbounded space and the other continuous time they are split up in two forms matter and motion a unity of immateriality and materiality.

Space continuous unbounded limitless oneness is before all material things contains no difference, extends in every direction is absolute spreading whole immediate not endowed with specific qualities, nor connected to any material thing or condition. Space has no relation or comparison to things; is “mediationless indifference”. Material things do not affect space even though materials things exist in space side-by-side in a complete abstraction do not interfere with other.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

Boo!
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

No boo to you.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

The self-consciousness of the self exists within a monad. The monad itself extends to infinity. Where do we locate the self? Seek it beyond the infinite where the monad becomes one. We cannot truly appreciate our limited experience until the monad beyond the infinite is realised. Infinity is embraceable, not distant.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Motion is time and everything is reduced to time. Absolute space is oneness without assistance of the senses can be used as a pattern and, a view to that higher knowledge; In astronomy as in geometry we employ this idea of space and time. It is hard to grasp for they are united yet two determinates in one. Space is oneness the un-limitless unbounded oneness, whereas the time is the unfolding of things.

Before all other is space because it contains in itself no material differences whatsoever, extends in every direction as absolute whole spreading one not endowed with any specifics. Space is infinite, mediationless, indifference.

Metaphysicians have for years asked whether space is a property of time or is it on its own account.If space were a property of things then it must be like a box and that even when empty maintains a particular box but space is not a property of time it is freely spreading oneness that offers no resistence.

Space unlike time cannot be pointed out, except in geometrical dimensional moments, Space is before all other essential qualities, or things contains nothing material, just extends in every direction, is absolute spreading oneness not endowed or connected to any thing or any condition.

To measure space whole unlimited boundary cannot be done because space has no relative point has only dimensional ones, point, line and plane as mathematical or geometric boundaries.

Time rules the world, what is the course of time and what is only a moment is merely a change of place. Time passes away and does not rest the appearance is motion that is apparent. All things are temporal because sooner or later they are subject to change, This is precisely the endless meaning of time, the unfolding of thing, that which is about to be occupied that which has just been vacated, but at the same time present the universal through all the changes. Time is relativity only absolute timelessness is present time absent from relativity. Time is the truth of all things, is the continuous abstract unfolding of things is what makes time. Its similar to space as an out and out abstract ideal being. An abstraction of dissolution is time and present has tremendous right. The universal of all moments, or standpoint is present time.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Hello Barbara,

For a long time I've been meaning to say I'm amazed that you post here day after day, seemingly oblivious to everyone else. And yet you do interact with other forum members when called upon, or if you feel compelled to respond. It's always a nice surprise when you do!

May I ask whether you employ any particular method or technique in order to tap into your 'stream of consciousness'? Or do you simply go for it, without preparation?

Looking forward to your response!
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Morpheus,

I suppose I am driven. The old saying that some people say someday they want to write and others who just write is true. If I do not write something every day, I am the sadist person, especially when I cannot think what to write.

The truth is I would never have written if philosophy had not made its appearance in my life. The very first day I read Hegel’s philosophy I had to know more come over me. What Hegel wrote was how I thought about things too.

That is the reason I write for the love of philosophy. My daily writing is now a habit I wait for that same desire to know then proceed for the right words but what really keeps me writing is that I get to meditate after as become part of a daily discipline.

My writing has evolved, especially since writing in Philosophy of Mind forum, just knowing someone out there is reading it makes my day.

Thank you for your kind words,

Barbara
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Space and time as immediate existence are put in a peculiar situation viewed only as a transition of moments, yet each is separate. Precisely this separating makes known earth and reality.
They are a contradiction of unity, together; unbounded, freely extending in every direction is space. and time has existence through space is the immediate collapse of sameness.

Space contains in itself no difference, extends in every direction, is absolute spreading, has no connection to anything or any condition. Time does not affect space even though time exists in space, side-by-side, exists in complete abstraction do not interfere with each other.

Time we proceed to a place, which is our future, we leave one which is our past, yet at the same time we already atr at the place are reaching.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Here I try to conceive knowledge I best quit my feelings, they only hinder the acquisition of good. That is in order to see all things useful and advantageous,

Mastering all this knowledge I sought truth and I would not be content with false reasoning. To keep them in my memory all that is embraced I knowledge gave me such pleasure.

Many people are persuaded there is difficulty in knowing therefore they never raise above the senses, they are so accustomed to consider excepting images that do not give any assurance of truth. Seeing or hearing cannot ever assure us of anything if knowledge does not intervene?

Knowledge rests upon a higher good, all things become useful and advantageous only by good, and everyone pursues it and makes it their end of all actions. Knowledge in the case of virtue plays the inner principle role that carries out good. Whereas truth straightaway perceives things only by the help of sight, hearing, or some other senses but before we see, hear, or perceive we must have knowledge; it is the light of truth.
Lusia Mousky

Post by Lusia Mousky »

Thinking about eternal things gives us peace of mind.

I started a course about Hegel´s logic last week.

Thank you for your contemplative force, Barbara.
You are like a flower in a desert.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Lusia,

I should thank you for reading my posts.

I also want to wish you good luck in Hegel's logic 's class , it should be exciting.

Barbara
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Purpose is nothing else than pure consciousness of self. It is that inner reality of self; it is without knowledge meaning merely purely idealist, the sheer implicit force within self. Here self-distinguishing self within self is purpose the abstract inner being. .

Hegel believed that what makes purpose complete is belief, because purpose itself cannot be felt; it is simply undifferentiated self-conscious ideal and that has no support, cannot stand alone or in condition because it is mere ideal.

The ability to do something and to bring into actuality is the content of purpose, where there is no chance accident. Study and understanding is essential not dragging our feet

Purpose is the ruin and overthrow of selfishness; thus a highway of anguish. Purpose rest upon conviction and intention, an actual carrying out our abilities following ones conviction not handing oneself over to mere opinion of other’s and criticize that can hamper purpose, as a matter of fact, can make us powerless of what we want to undertake.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Philosophers are drawn toward truth even as disregarded truth is today it someday may very likely emerge into light. Socrates believed, we need to be a servant of good, and be ruled by knowledge divine dwelling within us so that as far as possible friends and equals that all may be under the same rule.

Freethinking is nothing more then pure ideal self-consciousness, the inner reality, pure ideal, or more so absolute implicit self.
Also he believed every individual should be put to use what nature intended he or she to be. Then every person would do his or her own business, and the whole society would be one and not many.

It is true the well-educated societies grow sensible citizens, who easily see their way through all events; these societies follow the proverb that friends have all things in common.
The problem is truth vanishes in the course of the situation is mere sense-certainty, and perception. it is merely a conception of things. Certainty comes with truth. Into the native land of truth is self-consciousness, an attitude that comes into being.