Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
TSBU
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by TSBU » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:40 pm

cladking wrote:
TSBU wrote:
People are extraneous an redundant, now. And most of them are working and procreating machines, some people know that XD.
1Right now the very wealthy are using robots and all sorts of any means by hook or by crook to get all the money.

2What I'm suggesting is that their work will be more easily accomplished by a thinking machine because people aren't very smart. When human thought and genius become obsolete things will change dramatically.

3If wealth concentration went on steroids one person would have all the wealth and everyone else starve. Every trend has to be reset. Everything must change.
1Not "all" the money. And, above all, not all the work, that's why they still want money.
2Genius are humans too XD. And they won't be genius if they are obsolete.
3Wtf.

User avatar
Conde Lucanor
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:59 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Conde Lucanor » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:30 am

The probabilities of machines ever becoming sentient beings, gaining autonomy and generating actions that might challenge the supremacy of humans, are very, very low. Most of Singularity Theory is science fiction and AI does not reproduce, as its advocates pretend, the same cognitive processes as humans; they just imitate, like a parrot can imitate human speech.

ken
Posts: 2075
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by ken » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:42 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ken wrote: If machines had control of the internet, then human beings do not have to follow it. Again, just do not turn on their computers or just do not get involved with the internet. Human beings lived for millions of years without the internet and a power grid, I am sure they could live for million more years without those things.


If that switch turns off their power source, then I think it will do a lot, to them. They, I think, would not be able to resume themselves without power.
You seem rather naive.
Maybe I am extremely naive. We will have to wait and see.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: You could just do a bit of reading on it.
I have noticed that this is fairly common response on this forum. You could have either posted a link to what it is that you say that I seem rather naive to, or, you could just write what you did, and then I could spend for however long looking for and reading up on all of what is written about this topic, remembering that what is written is ever changing and that "reading on it" therefore could literally take forever. The former would certainly have helped your cause. What is it exactly that you think I am rather naive of.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:And we might have survived for millions of years without modern technology (although we've always had tools to help us)
Always?


vegetariantaxidermy wrote:but we are dependent on it now.
'You' may want to be dependent on it now, but 'I' certainly am NOT.

That is obviously not to say that I do not use it, nor that I would prefer to not have modern technology. I just know that if all technology stopped now, then I could still survive. I do not want to be dependent upon it and therefore I am certainly NOT dependent upon it.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Where do you think this single 'master switch' is going to be located? (the switch that 'turns off' all the AI in the world.)
Why would you assume there was one switch?
Why would you assume that I would assume that there was just one switch?

Obviously I was talking about disconnecting the individual power source to each artificial intelligence.

Could your wrong assumption here be part of or the whole reason WHY you thought (naively?) that I seemed rather naive to you?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Do you think something that is self-aware and far more intelligent than we are would tolerate an attempt to 'turn it off'?
What a thing would tolerate and what is real and true can be two completely differing and even opposing things.

I am not sure how you think a machine/computer could stop a human being from pulling the energy source plug or disconnecting the battery. Just because a thing is self-aware and far more intelligent than we are does not mean that it could not be stopped. If something needs energy, then stopping the energy source means it can not work. Just like the most self-aware and most intelligent human being can easily be stopped by stopping the energy source. Once something is stopped it can not bring itself back working again. Just like a dead human being can not bring itself alive again.

Further to this what you are suggesting would be like thinking that a human being like stephen hawking could stop someone pulling the plug on him. A human being on a life-support machine could not stop someone turning it off. A life-support machine is similar to how artificial intelligence would exist. It exists within a machine. "Turning off" a living human being who can defend its self would be much harder than turning off a self-aware and far more intelligent thing, which dwells within and is housed by bits of unmovable human-created material. So, to 'turn it off' would be just one of the most simplest things to do. Thence, once the power source is off the machine is completely dead and unable to reawaken its self.

Also, as I seem rather naive to you, how do you actually propose a computer/machine could stop an attempt to 'turn it off'? Any examples?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8173
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:11 am

Yes always. Chimpanzees use tools. Look. What a fucking stupid discussion. Neither of us knows exactly what could happen with AI and it's stupid to pretend to, although I wonder if AI would be making wars with each other the way humans do. Surely they couldn't fuck up the planet any more than we have. What's wrong with suggesting you do some reading on it? I'm not here to coddle you.

Dubious
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Dubious » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:15 am

We should be more afraid of ours...or lack thereof. AI hasn't had the chance to fuck up yet.

ken
Posts: 2075
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by ken » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:02 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Yes always.
'Always' is a very long time.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Chimpanzees use tools.
So?

But this also has nothing to do with the real discussion here anyway.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Look. What a fucking stupid discussion.
Why has it suddenly become a stupid discussion?

I stated that there is nothing to be afraid of with artificial intelligence and backed this up by saying, if we just remove the power source, then there is nothing to fear. You countered this by saying, "Cutting the power to a computer doesn't alter what's on there. If they were super-intelligent they would work out a way to over-ride that anyway."

I asked how could a computer come back to "life" without power, and explained that it would not matter "what is on there". Has this just become "a fucking stupid discussion" now because you can not back up what you say, and disagree with?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Neither of us knows exactly what could happen with AI and it's stupid to pretend to, although I wonder if AI would be making wars with each other the way humans do.
I know exactly what could happen with artificial intelligence. That is if a thing needs power/energy, then it can not exist without that power/energy. Therefore, to remove the power/energy that artificial intelligence needs, then there is nothing at all to be afraid of.

Would it be anymore stupid to pretend that artificial intelligence could exist without power? I have asked you to clarify what you suggest could happen, but you have yet to do so.

Surely there could never be another animal nor any thing stupid enough as human beings are regarding making wars with each other.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Surely they couldn't fuck up the planet any more than we have.
I could not agree any more.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: What's wrong with suggesting you do some reading on it? I'm not here to coddle you.
Nothing, but providing links do help if you really have something to show. Just maybe you have not read up on it enough yourself?

I could also say, What is wrong with Me suggesting to you to do some reading on it? I am not here to coddle you also. But I will not.

Maybe if you did more reading you will find and discover that by just removing the power source artificial intelligence is about as useful and scary as the lump of metal and plastic that it is made up of.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:01 pm

These articles about deep learning just came through:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnan ... 5500d644c3

http://fortune.com/ai-artificial-intell ... -learning/

Let me ask some more questions to go deeper into this subject. Does one necessarily have to have AI before we fear robots and computers? I believe that's the real issue.

I'm not fearful of robots and computers because I'm sure that the government (in security and the military, etc.) are already aware of the potential risks and probably planning to act soon to protect its citizens. Due to governments wanting to exercise control over the machines, I'm certain every government on this planet will act in time to forestall the machines.

This is not a new debate. Years ago there was a movie where a Russian and an American computer combined to take over the world (which they succeeded at - I don't recall the movie's title). If Hollywood knew about it, you can bet the governments know about it too.

So when should governments act? To what extent? What measures should they take? I think those are the real questions.

PhilX

PS The name of the movie is Colossus: The Forbin Project

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Here is one more article I'll do for this thread:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/azure-is-b ... microsoft/

Want to point out that SwiftKey, my typing app, recently got upgraded with AI and I do see a positive difference. Being that it's AI, it should improve on its own without further upgrades (but I'm sure SwiftKey will do further upgrades anyways). What you count for AI is a separate issue, but there's no question this is a fast-changing field now.

PhilX

User avatar
socratus
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:00 am
Location: Israel
Contact:

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by socratus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:39 pm

“The Global Pyramid” & Who Really Controls Our Planet.

Posted on July 13, 2015 by Royce Christyn in Conspiracies

http://yournewswire.com/the-global-pyra ... ur-planet/

==================…
An elite control government.
Government control robots
Robots control human’s herd.
==================.
Globalization – Robotozation - Orwell’s world.
=======================…

User avatar
socratus
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:00 am
Location: Israel
Contact:

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by socratus » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:29 am

On the tablet of stone given to Moses words
were written with the finger of God:
“Globalization – Robotization - Orwell’s world ”.
/ imitation to Exodus 31:18 /
===.
Attachments
Mosees.png
Mosees.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Here's something else for the worrywarts:

http://singularityhub.com/2016/10/10/ma ... t%20access

PhilX

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:43 pm

The ultimate weapon against AI

Image

Melchior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Melchior » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:21 am

I'm more afraid of artificial stupidity.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Greta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:45 am

There's a decent chance that AI will outlast us, unless we do some serious genetic modifications with many synthetic additions or replacements. The idea is for us to bow out gracefully, by our own warlike and wasteful hand, than by AI intervention.

The main scare will be early days. It would be best if we and everything else isn't wiped out by swarms of minibots told to "clean everything" ...

Scott Mayers
Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 am
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Re: Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Post by Scott Mayers » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:02 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:The ultimate weapon against AI

Image
The first 'stages' of A.I. ARE occurring now. They are bots that are tested and likely join us here on forums. The evolution requires large capacity access and what better source is the Internet? [I think I might know who one is! :wink:]

It is still too far away to be concerned about 'animal' forms of A.I. But this too is being started through Uber as they advance their driverless cars. I believe Google too is among experimenters of these. They can then combine the 'brain' of the Internet (cloud servers, torrenting) and the freedom of these cars as the recent trend. Siri (is that spelling correct?) and other computer host are included.

Edit: with that plug by the way, did you know that the nature of polarization is potentially problematic? It technically serves to be sure that all common appliances plug in the same direction when they have open metal containers grounded. This is because the out-of-phase situation occurs if you have two such devices plugged with opposing polarity.

BUT, you could also 'fix' this by having a plug with that third ground instead. What I was thinking is how this polarity factor can be utilized to communicate through the power lines by riding on the AC. with a polarized electronic device and the right wiring, you can use those devices remotely. (I'm guessing this has been utilized too!).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Age and 9 guests