The tie that saved Rome. Do Western nations need a State Religion?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

The Western nations of today, like Rome in the days of Constantine, are being fractured by the plethora of religious and racial factions the emigration is causing. The Western nations are again being inundated by various religious militias and no go zones set up by religious and racial factions.

All countries and large coalitions of countries need something to unite the populations and have it all move in the same direction when required. Religion is a good tool for uniting a country.

Constantine was looking for stability and peace for Rome and decided that a State Religion was the way to unify Rome and its allies. He chose the least barbaric and belligerent religion in his day, Christianity, to be the tie that would bind the empire and other countries together.

I see the Western religious forces of today doing the same as in Constantine’s day, fracturing the country and being an enemy to unity and peace.

A house divided cannot stand, --- and history is repeating itself.

To insure the survival of the Western ideology, in these times of religious strife and division, should the present Western political powers follow Constantine’s example and choose a State Religion?

I am not suggesting that we send out this new religion to convert by the sword the way Christianity did. I think that we are intelligent enough today to debate the morality of the various religions to determine which is the most moral and the best for nations and the individuals within them.

Constantine chose strength by numbers and not by ideology and I think we are mature enough today to choose by worthy morality and ideology.

Is creating a State Religion the way to peace?

Regards
DL
Impenitent

Re: The tie that saved Rome. Do Western nations need a State Religion?

Post by Impenitent »

history never repeats...

western ideology IS religious strife and division...

the religion of the supreme state is the religion for far too many...

we'll have another war soon...

-Imp
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Christianity didn't save the Roman empire. Constantine split it up for easier administration granting far greater resources to the Eastern than Western empires hastening the fall of Rome.

Spreading Christianity had some positive net effects for Roman power (arguably) but it caused a split in the administration as the chiurch siphoned cash from the state. And of course the early Christian emperors adopted the Trinitarian Nicene creed, while the Vandals and Goths who sacked Rome had previously adopted the heresy of Arianism. Odoacer, the Gothic warlord who formally dissolved the western Roman empire by adopting the title of hogh king of Italy, was an Arian heretic.

Later on, at a point where Islam was weakened by the split between Sunni and Shiite factions and the Eastern Roman empire had a chance to win back territory lost in the Levant and maybe even Egypt. That half of the empire engulfed itself instead in a generations long religious civil war over whether or not to devote prayers to a picture of Mary or a saint. They never regained the initiative ever again.

Then there was the great schism whereby Rome (now completely absent all empire) and Constantinople couldn't agree on who was in charge of Christianity so they excommunicated each other splitting Christianity into yet more competing factions that would later combine to bring down the other half of the Roman Empire.

After withstanding numerous Islamic and pagan sieges over the preceding centuries, the orthodox capital of Constantinople was conquered and sacked by the catholic Christian knights of the fourth crusade. When they eventually left, that city controlled only a tiny sliver of territory. Until its eventual conquest by the Turks the continuing habit of their local ruler to style himself an emperor was nothing but conceit.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Thanks all.

Seems that most are happy having immoral homophobic and misogynous religions corrupting the morals of our citizens.

Regards
DL
MatejValuch

Post by MatejValuch »

Religions has divided, and always will divide, people. They will never unite us, if we talk about bigger scope, e.g. entire Europe, or entire world...

I fully understand your concerns, and am in agreement with them. The situation is bad, and it is getting worse every day. We must definitely seek answers, if we care about well being of humanity, what means, even though we like to ignore it, our own well being... But an answer can't be found in State religion.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

MatejValuch wrote:Religions has divided, and always will divide, people. They will never unite us.
Wrong, Ouzo cuts across all religions and unites everybody!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Highly unlikely since you are the one explaining it and are a dismal failure in this respect.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote:Wrong, Ouzo cuts across all religions and unites everybody!
Bob, quit being a dipshit. You can't make this claim unless it has happened.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Lacewing wrote:
Please, I certainly can make this claim as envisioned in "The Ouzo Prophecy."
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote:
Lacewing wrote:
Please, I certainly can make this claim as envisioned in "The Ouzo Prophecy."
Not if you're being honest. Otherwise, we could all be making claims of reality based on what is "envisioned". That's bullshit. It hasn't happened! It is not reality. And you are being dishonest and/or delusional to represent it as reality.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

No, you're the one who's dishonest, like Hitler burning books, but you're content to just burn a spiritual paper!
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote:No, you're the one who's dishonest, like Hitler burning books, but you're content to just burn a spiritual paper!
What the fuck are you talking about?

Are you able to discern the difference between what's in your head, and what is reality for everyone else? Are you able to understand that you can't just tell people your fantasies and have them get onboard without questioning?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Lacewing wrote:
bobevenson wrote:No, you're the one who's dishonest, like Hitler burning books, but you're content to just burn a spiritual paper!
What the fuck are you talking about?
I'm talking about your contempt for "The Ouzo Prophecy."
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greatest I am wrote:Thanks all.

Seems that most are happy having immoral homophobic and misogynous religions corrupting the morals of our citizens.

Regards
DL
Are you talking about kristianity?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

We've already got a state religion in our nation thanks.