Apologies

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Apologies

Post by Harbal »

Dalek Prime wrote: I demand to see a picture of this ever so wise pinkie! And a fingerprint,
It's not the kind of pinkie that's suitable for display on a philosophy site and, although it is quite wrinkly, it does not have a print, as such. I do seem to think I've got an image somewhere that I did by resting the pinky on a photo copier, once. If I can find it I could PM it to you.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Harbal wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: I demand to see a picture of this ever so wise pinkie! And a fingerprint,
It's not the kind of pinkie that's suitable for display on a philosophy site and, although it is quite wrinkly, it does not have a print, as such. I do seem to think I've got an image somewhere that I did by resting the pinky on a photo copier, once. If I can find it I could PM it to you.
Heh. Reminds me of the film 'Filth', where the main character photocopies his member, hitting the 'enlarge' button several times to impress the ladies. :lol:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I am appalled at the direction this discussion has gone... and NO, I don't want to see any photos!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote:I am appalled at the direction this discussion has gone...
So am I. It's disgraceful how an innocent comment has been twisted into something so sordid.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Me too. I'm horrified that any sordid sentence could be twisted into something so innocent.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Harbal wrote:
Lacewing wrote:I would like to publicly apologize to Harbal for talking about his little pinkie in another thread.
I wouldn't have shown it to you if I'd known you were going to tell the whole World about it.
I demand to see a picture of this ever so wise pinkie! And a fingerprint, for added measure. Otherwise, I'll have to assume the wisest pinkie is the Wikipedia one, pictured.

Very authoritative pinkie, that looks to me.
Why on earth do yanks call them 'pinkies'? They aren't even pink. Such childish people, like the creepy 'panties' for women's underwear.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hey, don't knock 'panties'. I've invested many dirty thoughts revolving around that term. :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

Dalek Prime wrote:Hey, don't knock 'panties'. I've invested many dirty thoughts revolving around that term. :lol:
Exactly. But I've noticed that American women like to talk like little girls their entire lives; 'all righty' 'yes indeedy'....Those who don't tend to be disliked or mistrusted.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Hey, don't knock 'panties'. I've invested many dirty thoughts revolving around that term. :lol:
Exactly. But I've noticed that American women like to talk like little girls their entire lives; 'all righty' 'yes indeedy'....Those who don't tend to be disliked or mistrusted.
Well, any woman who spoke like that would get a warm meal and a bus ticket home, out of sympathy.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I've noticed that American women like to talk like little girls their entire lives; 'all righty' 'yes indeedy'
Those aren't things that little girls say. Those are more "folksy" expressions for certain parts of the country.

What drives me crazy is the "high-pitched baby" tone that a lot of younger women use. Is that what you were referring to?
Maybe men like that -- I don't know. When I talk high-pitched to my male dogs, they do seem to get excited (if you know what I mean). But when I hear women talking that way naturally, I think, "Can't they hear themselves, and how silly that sounds?" It doesn't sound sexy... just childish.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I've noticed that American women like to talk like little girls their entire lives; 'all righty' 'yes indeedy'
Those aren't things that little girls say. Those are more "folksy" expressions for certain parts of the country.

What drives me crazy is the "high-pitched baby" tone that a lot of younger women use. Is that what you were referring to?
Maybe men like that -- I don't know. When I talk high-pitched to my male dogs, they do seem to get excited (if you know what I mean). But when I hear women talking that way naturally, I think, "Can't they hear themselves, and how silly that sounds?" It doesn't sound sexy... just childish.
I've only heard women saying it. It sounds like the way some people talk to children. It doesn't come across as 'folksy', (which would be rather nice).
As for young girls, perhaps they think that high-pitched screeching will have the same effect on male humans as on male dogs.
The funny thing about voices is that a beautiful voice can make a man incredibly sexy (think Richard Burton, Russell Crowe), but men don't seem to give a toss how awful a woman's voice is.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: The clever ones with more wit than half stayed silent as the terrorist-attack narrative telling the story of 911 and the aftermath was fashioned from ideology, hindsight, and imagination.
That must have taken you awhile. :lol: It's still gibberisth, even with a complete sentence.
Not really.

The introduction of “was” into the sentence also implies a creator of the referenced narrative.

If one has a bugaboo aversion about creation, the sentence can also be amended to:

The clever ones with more wit than half stayed silent as the terrorist-attack narrative telling the story of 911 and the aftermath fashioned itself from ideology, hindsight, and imagination.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:
Walker wrote: The clever ones with more wit than half stayed silent as the terrorist-attack narrative telling the story of 911 and the aftermath was fashioned from ideology, hindsight, and imagination.
That must have taken you awhile. :lol: It's still gibberisth, even with a complete sentence.
Not really.

The introduction of “was” into the sentence also implies a creator of the referenced narrative.

If one has a bugaboo aversion about creation, the sentence can also be amended to:

The clever ones with more wit than half stayed silent as the terrorist-attack narrative telling the story of 911 and the aftermath fashioned itself from ideology, hindsight, and imagination.
Right.. :roll:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: That must have taken you awhile. :lol: It's still gibberisth, even with a complete sentence.
Not really.

Right.. :roll:
Language can be as mindful or unmindful as perception, apprehension, and comprehension.

For instance, right now you are in language forum. Did you forget?

Philosophy of language. For instance, apologies in daily encounters with strangers are given due attention, which isn’t much. But when a blind one snarls take note, and give that a more than passing due because it is a tad unusual.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote:

I've only heard women saying it. It sounds like the way some people talk to children. It doesn't come across as 'folksy', (which would be rather nice).
As for young girls, perhaps they think that high-pitched screeching will have the same effect on male humans as on male dogs.
The funny thing about voices is that a beautiful voice can make a man incredibly sexy (think Richard Burton, Russell Crowe), but men don't seem to give a toss how awful a woman's voice is.
We do in the long run.

My old roomie answered the phone to a woman I was arranging 'time' with. After he handed the phone to me, she confessed a deep relief that his my voice was nothing like his. And she herself had a sexy, deep tone to hers.