Can a depressed person live a meaningful life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jaded Sage

Re: Can a depressed person live a meaningful life?

Post by Jaded Sage »

yiostheoy wrote:
Jaded Sage wrote:Try philosophizing. Few people here even try it. Even once. How you gonna knock it before you try it? Give it a chance.
Actually I think philosophizing by someone who is chronically depressed results in just more loneliness and isolation.

What troubled people need is a friend and a cup of coffee.

A kitten or a puppy is excellent therapy too.
Do we mean clinical depression? That is, is brain chemistry a part of it, or do we mean just sorrowful? Ya know, being alone doesn't mean having to be lonely. Although, I suppose it could impact the philosophy. What troubled people need is comfort. How comfort is found varies from person to person. Plus, they may need something extra. Philosophy provides that, or it can.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

MozartLink wrote:I need something in this life. That would be my feelings of happiness and enjoyment. As long long as I am not happy and enjoying my life, then I just give up on life. I would immediately end my life since I do not wish to live such a life. It is only a happy enjoyable life that is worth living to me.
So do you get feelings of happiness and enjoyment by continually talking about it here, and telling everyone how their suggestions are useless for you?
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

Now there are two types of good meaning. One comes from our way of thinking alone. For example, if someone thought a certain object or person gave good meaning to their lives. But there is another type of good meaning. One that has nothing to do with our way of thinking at all. It is a feeling/emotional version of good meaning. It is our good feelings (hedonistic pleasure). These good feelings can be transcendental such as the good feelings you get from something magnificent and beautiful in your life. These good feelings are actually the only source of good meaning in a person's life. So the only version of good meaning that exists is this feeling/emotional version. The thought version does not exist at all. It is all a lie. There is no thought version of happiness, joy, and good meaning. It is only our good feelings that give us those things.

When you experience a good feeling, that "goodness" (pleasantness) that is experienced is meaning itself. It is good meaning itself. It is the only source of good meaning in a person's life. So even if you experienced a good feeling and thought that your life was meaningless, that would not make your life meaningless at all. Your life would still have good meaning since you are experiencing a good feeling.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

There is a cluster of homeless people who live along the river across from our neighborhood. You can see their tarps and tents in the woodlands from across the river from the viewpoint of the levee where numerous joggers and bicyclists exercise and ride.

I often wonder what the mindset of those homeless people are. I wonder if they are depressed or optimistic? I wonder what they have to be happy about? They clearly relish life or else they would have stepped in front of trains or jumped off bridges like so may local suicides do.

They must be somewhat courageous people in order to be able to endure their homeless fate.

I cannot imagine what would be worse than homelessness. I don't know if I could survive it and no one else who has never been homeless knows either.

Anyone who is not homeless is a whole lot better off than these people who are homeless find themselves.

A chronic mental depression condition needs to be treated with appropriate medication and some kind of support.

Get a kitten or a puppy. The pet will help you through it all too.

Then you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

yiostheoy wrote:There is a cluster of homeless people who live along the river across from our neighborhood. You can see their tarps and tents in the woodlands from across the river from the viewpoint of the levee where numerous joggers and bicyclists exercise and ride.

I often wonder what the mindset of those homeless people are. I wonder if they are depressed or optimistic? I wonder what they have to be happy about? They clearly relish life or else they would have stepped in front of trains or jumped off bridges like so may local suicides do.

They must be somewhat courageous people in order to be able to endure their homeless fate.

I cannot imagine what would be worse than homelessness. I don't know if I could survive it and no one else who has never been homeless knows either.

Anyone who is not homeless is a whole lot better off than these people who are homeless find themselves.

A chronic mental depression condition needs to be treated with appropriate medication and some kind of support.

Thank you. Now people say that the greatest thing a person can have in his/her life is meaning. That meaning is everything to life. But I think there is something that goes far beyond meaning. Something that makes meaning absolutely nothing in comparison. It is a sacred surging divine life force. It is our good feelings. The good feelings we get from nature, our life, and hobbies. It is the hedonistic version of pleasure.
Last edited by MozartLink on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

MozartLink wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:There is a cluster of homeless people who live along the river across from our neighborhood. You can see their tarps and tents in the woodlands from across the river from the viewpoint of the levee where numerous joggers and bicyclists exercise and ride.

Thank you. Now people say that the greatest thing a person can have in his/her life is meaning. That meaning is everything to life. But I think there is something that goes far beyond meaning. Something that makes meaning absolutely nothing in comparison. It is a sacred surging divine life force. It is our good feelings. The good feelings we get from nature, our life, and hobbies.
Taking care of a pet and feeling that pet's reciprocal love is certainly meaningful.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

yiostheoy wrote:
MozartLink wrote:

Thank you. Now people say that the greatest thing a person can have in his/her life is meaning. That meaning is everything to life. But I think there is something that goes far beyond meaning. Something that makes meaning absolutely nothing in comparison. It is a sacred surging divine life force. It is our good feelings. The good feelings we get from nature, our life, and hobbies.
Taking care of a pet and feeling that pet's reciprocal love is certainly meaningful.
But like I said, meaning is absolutely nothing in comparison to a person's good hedonistic feelings.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

MozartLink wrote: But like I said, meaning is absolutely nothing in comparison to a person's good hedonistic feelings.
Hedonism -- not my cup of tea.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:... and feeling that pet's reciprocal love is certainly meaningful.
Also known as the pathetic fallacy. :lol:
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.
Deteriorata. Deteriorata.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss, and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
and despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Remember The Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate.
Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you -
That lemon on your left, for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore. It will stick to your face.
Gracefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan.
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Hire people with hooks.
For a good time, call 606-4311. Ask for Ken.
Take heart in the bedeepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.
And reflect that whatever fortune may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Therefore, make peace with your god,
Whatever you perceive him to be - hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
Give up!
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Melchior wrote:You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.
Deteriorata. Deteriorata.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss, and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
and despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Remember The Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate.
Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you -
That lemon on your left, for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore. It will stick to your face.
Gracefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan.
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Hire people with hooks.
For a good time, call 606-4311. Ask for Ken.
Take heart in the bedeepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.
And reflect that whatever fortune may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Therefore, make peace with your god,
Whatever you perceive him to be - hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
Give up!
Can't really tell what side you are cheering for here.

Your poem (which does not rhyme unfortunately) sounds like just more melancholia.

I would say that a lot of people are just detritus.

A precious few are the sons and daughters of God however.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

yiostheoy wrote:
Can't really tell what side you are cheering for here.

Your poem (which does not rhyme unfortunately) sounds like just more melancholia.

I would say that a lot of people are just detritus.

A precious few are the sons and daughters of God however.
https://youtu.be/gFLvhKv-Lbo

It is a parody of this:

https://youtu.be/6X8YnCq6UME
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Can a depressed person live a meaningful life?
No, just rid us from your eternal whining and selfcentered posts! Go do something else than pesting this forum, thanks!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Melchior wrote:You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.
Deteriorata. Deteriorata. ...
Hah! We might conflict Melchior but I thought this excellent.