Can a depressed person live a meaningful life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MozartLink

Re: Can a depressed person live a meaningful life?

Post by MozartLink »

Okay. But my post was more to do with his giving so much importance to having a meaning in life. It would just make things worse for him when there really is no meaning to life. So I was just pointing out the reality to him. If he can get rid of this need for meaning to life, it takes away one added tension of something he does not have.
I need something in this life. That would be my feelings of happiness and enjoyment. As long long as I am not happy and enjoying my life, then I just give up on life. I would immediately end my life since I do not wish to live such a life. It is only a happy enjoyable life that is worth living to me.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

MozartLink wrote:
Okay. But my post was more to do with his giving so much importance to having a meaning in life. It would just make things worse for him when there really is no meaning to life. So I was just pointing out the reality to him. If he can get rid of this need for meaning to life, it takes away one added tension of something he does not have.
I need something in this life. That would be my feelings of happiness and enjoyment. As long long as I am not happy and enjoying my life, then I just give up on life. I would immediately end my life since I do not wish to live such a life. It is only a happy enjoyable life that is worth living to me.
I get that, ML, and I'm in complete sympathy with your plight. But, what would you have us say to you? We can't counsel you, by law. I can say, though, as strange as this may sound, that my pessimism has taken me full-circle into happiness, because I know it's not forever, whatever else happens in between. And I can enjoy life more, simply because of it's absurdity. So it doesn't matter what I accomplish, or how I live it, as long as I'm not overtly suffering, and haven't created another to deal with the same absurdity.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

MozartLink wrote:
I suppose that applies to everyone to some degree or other. Hedonistic pleasures and the hope of future pleasures. When I am working on something tedious, I am hoping for a particularly nasty reply from someone on the forum so that I can give a reply. Then there is whisky and music, meeting friends, maybe flirting with some attractive woman, playing cricket, eating some great food, going out, staying in watching something great, movie or show, spending time with my daughters, the older one being one of my closest friends, thinking, reading, thinking. I focus on the simple pleasures of life. I also keep looking at the bigger picture. The amazing universe, the miracle of life, how complex we are, stuff like that which keep reminding me that life is not all about me all the time, how I am just a cog I the wheel so my existence is insignificant except to myself because that is how I am genetically made up.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

sthitapragya wrote:
MozartLink wrote:
I suppose that applies to everyone to some degree or other. Hedonistic pleasures and the hope of future pleasures. When I am working on something tedious, I am hoping for a particularly nasty reply from someone on the forum so that I can give a reply. Then there is whisky and music, meeting friends, maybe flirting with some attractive woman, playing cricket, eating some great food, going out, staying in watching something great, movie or show, spending time with my daughters, the older one being one of my closest friends, thinking, reading, thinking. I focus on the simple pleasures of life. I also keep looking at the bigger picture. The amazing universe, the miracle of life, how complex we are, stuff like that which keep reminding me that life is not all about me all the time, how I am just a cog I the wheel so my existence is insignificant except to myself because that is how I am genetically made up.
Well then, that is what makes your life worth living. I am glad that this life works out for you and is compatible for you then. It does not work out for me and is not compatible at all with me. So I am considering taking myself out of it as long as I am not happy and enjoying nature, my life, and my hobbies. Hopefully there is an eternal blissful afterlife after I die since that is the only life worth living to me. A life in which I get to live forever and forever be happy. A life meant for me rather than this life which isn't meant for our happiness and gives us hardships such as depression and many others.

Living forever and being happy is all that matters to me. It would be the absolute most horrible thing if we just die and that is it. The very idea of me forever no longer existing when I die is the absolute most horrible thing to me.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I can almost guarantee you nothingness. No afterlife. Just no consciousness or being at all. That's about it. So, if the very thought of existing in some form is preferable to you to what I've stated, use it to your advantage, now, whilst you've still got it. Either way, you won't know you had it, afterwards.

PS. I just read your last bit about fear of ending. And while it leaves me open to 'well, how do you know what's after this, Dalek', I'm going to say that you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm right. I won't defend anything I'm not damn sure of.

You and I will end. Make the most of it now, if you care one bit about existence. It's all you and I are getting.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

Dalek Prime wrote:I can almost guarantee you nothingness. No afterlife. Just no consciousness or being at all. That's about it. So, if the very thought of existing in some form is preferable to you to what I've stated, use it to your advantage, now, whilst you've still got it. Either way, you won't know you had it, afterwards.

PS. I just read your last bit about fear of ending. And while it leaves me open to 'well, how do you know what's after this, Dalek', I'm going to say that you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm right. I won't defend anything I'm not damn sure of.

You and I will end. Make the most of it now, if you care one bit about existence. It's all you and I are getting.
If this is the one and only existence I have, then it is not worth living to me and I am considering taking myself out of it as long as I am living my life depressed like this. It is not only having this anhedonia that is making me depressed, but also the possibility that there might be no afterlife. So since my life is nothing but miserable which makes it not worth living at all to me even if it is the one and only life I have, then I am considering giving up on it and taking myself out of it.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

MozartLink wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I can almost guarantee you nothingness. No afterlife. Just no consciousness or being at all. That's about it. So, if the very thought of existing in some form is preferable to you to what I've stated, use it to your advantage, now, whilst you've still got it. Either way, you won't know you had it, afterwards.

If this is the one and only existence I have, then it is not worth living to me and I am considering taking myself out of it as long as I am living my life depressed like this. It is not only having this anhedonia that is making me depressed, but also the possibility that there might be no afterlife. So since my life is nothing but miserable which makes it not worth living at all to me even if it is the one and only life I have, then I am considering giving up on it and taking myself out of it.
And with that, I will again state that I have in no way counselled you in any direction, but have only said what you can expect. I will not be held accountable for your decision, either way. I won't be dragged into your hell for your foolishness.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

Dalek Prime wrote:
MozartLink wrote:

And with that, I will again state that I have in no way counselled you in any direction, but have only said what you can expect. I will not be held accountable for your decision, either way. I won't be dragged into your hell for your foolishness.
I don't think it is foolishness. The fact is, nothing is changing in my life no matter what I try and no matter what I think. Me being happy and living in eternal bliss really is the only thing that brings joy and meaning to my life. Since I don't get that, then it is instead a wise decision for me to take myself out of this life.
Last edited by MozartLink on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Try philosophizing. Few people here even try it. Even once. How you gonna knock it before you try it? Give it a chance.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

MozartLink wrote: I don't think it is foolishness. The fact is, nothing is changing in my life no matter what I try and no matter what I think. Me being happy and living in eternal bliss really is the only thing that brings joy and meaning to my life. Since I don't get that, then it is instead a wise decision for me to take myself out of this life.
I say it's foolish. This is it, bud. This is all you get. It will end anyways. Why rush it? You don't know where life will lead. None of us do. You say you can't handle the thought of not existing, so you then give into your fear? How does that remotely make sense?

I'm going to say this once, and then never talk to you again. Do not end your life.

We're done.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

Dalek Prime wrote:
MozartLink wrote: I don't think it is foolishness. The fact is, nothing is changing in my life no matter what I try and no matter what I think. Me being happy and living in eternal bliss really is the only thing that brings joy and meaning to my life. Since I don't get that, then it is instead a wise decision for me to take myself out of this life.
I say it's foolish. This is it, bud. This is all you get. It will end anyways. Why rush it? You don't know where life will lead. None of us do. You say you can't handle the thought of not existing, so you then give into your fear? How does that remotely make sense?
As long as it is not a happy life I get to enjoy, then I would rather forever no longer exist.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

MozartLink wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
As long as it is not a happy life I get to enjoy, then I would rather forever no longer exist.
How old are you?

I tried to end my life twice. It got better. Don't you fucking do it, damn you! You do whatever you have to do to keep going! And then you get up, and do it again! Like the rest of us! Like me!
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

How old are you?

I tried to end my life twice. It got better. Don't you fucking do it, damn you!
I am 28 years old.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

MozartLink wrote:
How old are you?

I tried to end my life twice. It got better. Don't you fucking do it, damn you!
I am 28 years old.
Okay, so get to my age. You got anything better to do? I know what you are going through. Why do you think I'm an antinatalist? But there's a massive difference between never having been, and ending being.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Jaded Sage wrote:Try philosophizing. Few people here even try it. Even once. How you gonna knock it before you try it? Give it a chance.
Actually I think philosophizing by someone who is chronically depressed results in just more loneliness and isolation.

What troubled people need is a friend and a cup of coffee.

A kitten or a puppy is excellent therapy too.