President

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jaded Sage

President

Post by Jaded Sage »

What would you do if elected President of the United States of America? Would you add laws, subtract laws, alter laws? Would you add customs, subtract customs, alter customs? How would you improve the nation and the world?
yiostheoy

Re: President

Post by yiostheoy »

Jaded Sage wrote:What would you do if elected President of the United States of America? Would you add laws, subtract laws, alter laws? Would you add customs, subtract customs, alter customs? How would you improve the nation and the world?
If you read through the US Constitution you will see that the President does NOT have anything to do with making laws.

That would be the Congress' job.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/overview
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

What about excecutive orders?

Then King of United States. You make laws, but you don't have to get them through congress. The point of this is what would you do concerning laws and customs. It's a difficult point to miss.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Jaded Sage wrote:What about excecutive orders?

Then King of United States. You make laws, but you don't have to get them through congress. The point of this is what would you do concerning laws and customs. It's a difficult point to miss.
You just changed the subject. That is a debating fallacy. It's somewhat like moving the goal posts.

Executive orders are NOT "adding/subtracting/changing laws". NO President is allowed to do that.

Like I said, give a look at the US Constitution. It will give you a whole new outlook on the BHO Presidency and how he was skating on thin ice with Harry Reid protecting him from the Senate.

If BHO pulls that crap again then Paul Ryan will impeach him and Mitch McConnell with expel him from office.

Harry Reid cannot protect BHO anymore from impeachment and expulsion if he again exceeds the powers of his office.

Think about that as you read the Constitution. There is a section on impeachment at the Federal level.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

No, I didn't. What is the difference between and executive order and a law?
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Jaded Sage wrote:No, I didn't. What is the difference between and executive order and a law?
Duh.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

yiostheoy wrote:
Jaded Sage wrote:No, I didn't. What is the difference between and executive order and a law?
Duh.
Yes, if you understand it, then explain it. Otherwise you're just farting in the wind.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Yeah, I don't think you know the difference.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Jaded Sage wrote:Yeah, I don't think you know the difference.
Duh.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

yiostheoy wrote:
Jaded Sage wrote:Yeah, I don't think you know the difference.
Duh.
Well I suppose we can chalk this one up to a complete lack of understanding with no answer forthcoming.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Executive orders have the force and weight of laws, but are restricted to the internal structure of the government, such as the enforcement of laws. There is also such a thing as a presidental proclaimation which applies to things outside the government, but is usually only symbolic. The examples of executive orders I saw make it seem like they are almost the same thing as laws. In any event, the point of this exercise is: what would you do with power over the United States?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

The trouble with this and most other such hypotheticals is that the situation lacks the force necessary to bring the situation about.
Let us say that tomorrow I replaced Obama as the US people were presented with my face staring back at them from the Whitehouse.
I submit that the result would render me completely powerless, probably lead to my arrest and initiate a constitutional crisis.

On the other hand if you were to suggest HOW I would become President, then that would be different. It would normally involve the American people already giving me their support for my policies and voting me in.

So what is the basis of my Presidency?
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Jaded Sage wrote:Executive orders have the force and weight of laws, but are restricted to the internal structure of the government, such as the enforcement of laws. There is also such a thing as a presidental proclaimation which applies to things outside the government, but is usually only symbolic. The examples of executive orders I saw make it seem like they are almost the same thing as laws. In any event, the point of this exercise is: what would you do with power over the United States?
Good job J/S. Looks like you are learning the difference between Legislative law, Administrative law, and possibly even Judicial law.

Google is your friend obviously.

Laws are "made" by the Legislatures which at the Federal level is the Congress.

Laws are "enforced" by the Administration which at the Federal level is the Presidency and the White House officers.

So as I pointed out early on, the President does not "add laws". And if he subtracts them he will be impeached and expelled. THAT'S how it works.

So the correct answer to your original query is:

- What new laws would you add ?? -- NONE.

- What laws would you subtract ?? -- NONE.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Are you saying the laws in the US are perfect?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

The handful of people not on his list yet are kept in circulation solely so that he can tell you you are too stupid for him to converse with.

You are being tolerated as a peasant. Appeal the decision here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19203