Current Reads: What is Everyone Reading?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

amateurphilosophynerd

Current Reads: What is Everyone Reading?

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

My Current Read is Will Kymlica Contemporary Political Philosophy An Introduction Second Edition 2002. I have a hefty 75pp of Communitarianism to read next so over to you!!
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I'm currently reading 'the Undercover Economist' and have 'Wittgenstein's Poker' lined up next.
bullwinkle

Post by bullwinkle »

I'm currently re-reading 'Personal Knowledge' by Michael Polanyi and am also reading Kierkegaard's 'Purity of Heart'.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Dan Bar-On's Legacy of Silence:Encounters with Children of the Third Reich. My goal for graduate studies is philosophy of the Shoah.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

I am also reading The Undercover Economist and Knowledge and its Place in Nature by Hilary Kornblith.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I am reading 'The Nightrunners of Bengal' by John Masters, it is crap, I may have to put it to one side without completing it.
aloysius

Post by aloysius »

Just started reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I'm only about 20 pages into it so I don't have much to say about it - maybe later.

Anyone have any ideas or pointers for my reading of it?
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

I've tended to avoid Ayn Rand due to the rather negative portrayal of her views on childcare in The Simpsons!
Derek

Current Read

Post by Derek »

I just finished On the Philosophy of Law by David A. Reidy ( a relatively short read - some 200 pgs.) and am now debating, with myself of course, over what to pick up next. I’ve placed an order for H.L.A. Hart’s Concept of Law, but it’s not in yet. Max H. Fischer’s Classic American Philosophers is calling to me from the bookshelf as I type; so, it looks that will count as my current read. Here we go.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Psychological Types CG Jung
sally

Post by sally »

Knulp by Herman Hesse. I'm about 3 pages in but something about Hesse's writing is up-put-downable
amateurphilosophynerd

Madness and Civilization Foucault

Which is proving to be very slow indeed. Unfortunately Foucualt has like all academics plonked lots of french latin greek etc rendering parts of the text incomprehensible. Research draft read.
will follow by hannah arendt 'the human condition' library lend.
amateurphilosophynerd

the polyani books sounds interesting

the title seems most relevant if you are looking at how one comes to knowledge in a personal capacity?
Ayn rand on list to read one day
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

This semester's readings were fun-filled and action-packed:
WVO Quine, "Two Dogmas of Empiricism" and "Word and Object"
AJ Ayer, "Language, Truth, and Logic"
Rudolph Carnap, "The Logical Structure of the World" and "Psuedoproblems in Philosophy"
Gottlob Frege, "The Foundations of Arithmetic.

These guys put the ANAL in Analytic.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Rortabend wrote:I've tended to avoid Ayn Rand due to the rather negative portrayal of her views on childcare in The Simpsons!
South Park spent an entire episode attacking Atlas Shrugged as well. It was very unfair and extremely funny. These US cartoon-makers seem to have it in for Rand.

I've just finished reading a review copy of The Undercover Philosopher by Michael Philips, who used to write for the mag sometimes. It is great.

Before that I was reading an English translation of Winnetou, by Karl May, and before that a picture book about a hungry tiger who comes to tea. (I'm trying to get inside the mind of George Bush, oh okay, actually I was reading it to my 2 year old son.)