Ayn Rand and Selfishness as a Virtue

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Ayn Rand and Selfishness as a Virtue

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: I love this. :lol:
Why is that? :?:[/quote]
It made me laugh, and there's a fair bit of truth in it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It made me laugh, and there's a fair bit of truth in it.
Assuming the accusation were true, I suppose it's no worse to let others do "very basic thinking" for us, than to stubbornly cling to one's own prejudices and refuse to listen to what others have to say on matters. Don't you think?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It made me laugh, and there's a fair bit of truth in it.
Assuming the accusation were true, I suppose it's no worse to let others do "very basic thinking" for us, than to stubbornly cling to one's own prejudices and refuse to listen to what others have to say on matters. Don't you think?
There's nothing wrong with learning to use logic and reason and to think critically, as long as you can do that then it probably shouldn't matter what you read.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Why would, or should, I treat this as anything other than a joke, when you never answer a question (properly)?
Acording to Occam's Razor, because you’re a clown.

Loaded questions are questions that create the boundaries of a world into which the answers sought must be crammed, and without a respondent’s need or incentive to untangle that bowl of spaghetti world you gets what you gets, and if you’re smart you’re thankful for that much explanation from life that owes you nothing.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Why would, or should, I treat this as anything other than a joke, when you never answer a question (properly)?

Loaded questions are questions that create the boundaries of a world into which the answers sought must be crammed, and without a respondent’s need or incentive to untangle that bowl of spaghetti world you gets what you gets, and if you’re smart you’re thankful for that much explanation from life that owes you nothing.
QED again. Stop proving my point.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:

QED again. Stop proving my point.
Not getting the answers you want is your concern, not mine, Buster Brown.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote: Not getting the answers you want is your concern, not mine, Buster Brown.
Trust me when I say I'm both unsurprised, and unconcerned.

Is Buster Brown still making shoes? I've always liked their logo, with the little dog.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote: Not getting the answers you want is your concern, not mine, Buster Brown.
Trust me when I say I'm unconcerned.

Is Buster Brown still making shoes? I've always liked their logo, with the little dog.
So unconcerned you are moved by the power of the motive force. Can you see it?

You're asking about Buster? Rumor has it ...
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Trust me when I say I'm unconcerned.

So unconcerned you are moved by the power of the motive force. Can you see it?

You're asking about Buster? Rumor has it ...
Awww, nooooo!!! Don't tell me he joined Scientology!!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:You're asking about Buster? Rumor has it ...
Well the government guy wouldn’t swear to it because so much time has passed and it could have been a cousin, but during a Department of Health inspection of Santa’s workshop he said that he spotted an elf that looked like Buster but older. Elves are fast, which is how they make all that stuff, so he no sooner saw Buster but he was gone, and though he didn’t put it in his official report the inspector privately confessed to a third party that his perception may have been a delusional apparition. May have also been a non-delusional apparition, but who knows he's not a mind reader. He tried to check the records but Santa said they had a fire and lost the records, and being a sharp agent the government man immediately tuned into the possibility of Illegals getting paid under the workshop table, so to speak, so he just passed along the info to higher ups for political consideration, seeing as Santa is known to have an in where it counts and the inspector is a career man grinding it out … which is why out of selfish self-interest (just keeping it relevant) he didn’t mention the bribe Mrs. Claus invited his way once she caught wind of what he onto, or what he found in the back room labeled “Storage Closet” that made him think Santa might be mixed up in some kind of, what was that again, Scientology you say?

Where's Hex. This is getting cozy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Btw: don’t let yourself be distracted from the question posed to you, to answer as is your wont:
Henry wrote: Fire burns.'

Is this an objective or subjective statement?

'if you touch that hot stove with your nekkid hand, you'll get burned.'

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:Btw: don’t let yourself be distracted from the question posed to you, to answer as is your wont:
Henry wrote: Fire burns.'

'if you touch that hot stove with your nekkid hand, you'll get burned.'

Sure, no problem. Here you go.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:You're asking about Buster? Rumor has it ...
Well the government guy wouldn’t swear to it because so much time has passed and it could have been a cousin, but during a Department of Health inspection of Santa’s workshop he said that he spotted an elf that looked like Buster but older. Elves are fast, which is how they make all that stuff, so he no sooner saw Buster but he was gone, and though he didn’t put it in his official report the inspector privately confessed to a third party that his perception may have been a delusional apparition. May have also been a non-delusional apparition, but who knows he's not a mind reader. He tried to check the records but Santa said they had a fire and lost the records, and being a sharp agent the government man immediately tuned into the possibility of Illegals getting paid under the workshop table, so to speak, so he just passed along the info to higher ups for political consideration, seeing as Santa is known to have an in where it counts and the inspector is a career man grinding it out … which is why out of selfish self-interest (just keeping it relevant) he didn’t mention the bribe Mrs. Claus invited his way once she caught wind of what he onto, or what he found in the back room labeled “Storage Closet” that made him think Santa might be mixed up in some kind of, what was that again, Scientology you say?
Well, that was instructive. :roll: (Santa's not real, by the way. I know, it'll take time to recover from the shock, and heal.)
Walker

Post by Walker »

I thought it was interesting at the end, when the word wont turned up.

In this case the apostrophe doesn’t alter the definition.

You won't answer henry's appropriate philosophical question, as is your wont.

The answer to your question about cobbling was merely an appropriate response to wontless participation, and after all, it's participation and not mere reading that defines existence under these conditions.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:I thought it was interesting at the end, when the word wont turned up.

In this case the apostrophe doesn’t alter the definition.

You won't answer henry's appropriate philosophical question, as is your wont.

The answer to your question about cobbling was merely an appropriate response to wontless participation, and after all, it's participation and not mere reading that defines existence under these conditions.
Aww muffin. You weren't happy with your own response? :cry:

I won't answer that, simply because a microcosm does not lead to universal proof of concept for the Objectivist system, or any system, for that matter. In which case, as Henry is so fond of stating, himself, we are then discussing the weight of ghost farts.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Sat May 21, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.