For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jaded Sage

Re: What is a mystic?

Post by Jaded Sage »

Harbal wrote:
Jaded Sage wrote:
Are you being deliberately difficult?
No. I've been trying to make the point that you don't seem to have the slightest clue of what you are talking about. I didn't want to actually say it to you as bluntly as that so I was trying to find a way of bringing it to your attention more gradually. Anyway, the cat's out of the bag now so that's that.
Did you even read the definitions? The second two have nothing to do with God, and the first two do not require belief in God. So it would appear that you have no idea what I'm saying or that you don't know what you're talking about. Or that you are simply full of shit. All you've been doing is avoiding saying anything of merit. I think you realized you made a mistake and don't have the balls or feel secure enough with yourself to admit it. If you can't do that I request you ignore all my posts.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Jaded Sage wrote: Did you even read the definitions? The second two have nothing to do with God,
• A mystic is an unorganized philosopher
Is that meant to sound like a good thing?
• A mystic is someone whose understanding is bigger than their intellect.
All I can deduce from this is that you are not a mystic, being as you seem to have a deficit of both understanding and intellect.
So it would appear that you have no idea what I'm saying or that you don't know what you're talking about.
I think it's more a case of you not liking what I'm saying.
I think you realized you made a mistake and don't have the balls or feel secure enough with yourself to admit it.
I can see why you might want that to appear to be the case.
I request you ignore all my posts.
I usually do but sometimes they are so ridiculous that the amount of self control needed to ignore them is more than I am capable of achieving.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Try harder. You're a lost cause to me.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Jaded Sage wrote:Try harder. You're a lost cause to me.
Could we come to some sort of arrangement? If I promise to try harder to ignore you, will you promise to try harder to make posts that make some kind of sense?
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Sure, just ignore them.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

• A mystic is someone who has direct experience of God.

• A mystic is someone who considers personal firsthand experience to be the highest authority, especially regarding religious things, most especially God.

• A mystic is an unorganized philosopher.

So again, these are some definitions. Anyone have anything to add?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Okay, well first of all... these definitions are all "made-up" and cannot be applied as blanket statements.
Jaded Sage wrote:• A mystic is someone who has direct experience of God.
There are lots of wacked out people who have had their own experience of a god, and that does not make them a mystic.
Jaded Sage wrote: • A mystic is someone who considers personal firsthand experience to be the highest authority, especially regarding religious things, most especially God.
This seems to make no sense nor have any validity at all. (Sorry to be so blunt.) I realize that you're probably presenting this "as opposed to following or believing in other people/dictates/beliefs"... but firsthand experience is by no means an indication of clarity, truth, consciousness, etc. And in fact, considering one's own personal firsthand experience to be the "highest authority" is like putting a crown on one's own ego. Better to consider that there IS NO HIGHEST AUTHORITY (I think). And stop creating all of these false hierarchies!
Jaded Sage wrote: • A mystic is an unorganized philosopher.
Again... this is too general to be meaningful. Some organization is required for thoughts and awareness. Whereas specific rules and certain education may not be required.
Jaded Sage wrote: • A mystic is someone whose understanding is bigger than their intellect.
This is the only one I can see some clarity and truth in. Being too wrapped up in one's intellect can definitely blind one from all that is beyond that... and there is quite a lot beyond that! A "mystic" (I'm guessing) would be willing to see beyond themselves... and see beyond boundaries... and accept that there are many realities... and (possibly) very few rules (if any). Whereas, most of us create with what we are aware of, and then give ourselves titles and claim it to be complete. It's all rather absurd... even if charmingly human. A "mystic" (I'm guessing) would be laughing a lot.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Dictionaries, mystics, universities and philosophers disagree with you. I don't even know where to begin. It's such a chore to deal with shit like this. Maybe later. My definitions are rockstar.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Jaded Sage wrote:Dictionaries, mystics, universities and philosophers disagree with you.
You're making all of this up to validate yourself.
Jaded Sage wrote:I don't even know where to begin.
Yes, that would be hard when it's beyond your structure.
Jaded Sage wrote:It's such a chore to deal with shit like this.

Your attitude is why you blow off discussion that is beyond your own limited ideas. This is why I typically don't respond to your posts. You seem to think that your thoughts are of unique meaning and value. You never answered the last round of meaningful discussion I tossed your way, so I didn't expect you to accept this either.
Jaded Sage wrote:Maybe later.
Don't bother.
Jaded Sage wrote:My definitions are rockstar.
In your own mind. I guess that makes you a mystic. :twisted:
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Anyone else wanna move forward for a change?

• A mystic is someone who has direct experience of God.

• A mystic is someone who considers personal firsthand experience to be the highest authority, especially regarding religious things, most especially God.

• A mystic is an unorganized philosopher.

So again, these are some definitions. Anyone have anything worthwhile to add?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

A mystic is someone to whom no single definition can be applied.

A mystics is...is...is, this or that is bogus and tells you nothing.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

That just seems mistaken. Why would no single defintion be capable of describing?

I don't even know what you're saying in the second part.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Jaded Sage wrote:Anyone else wanna move forward for a change?
I can't help having noticed that you inevitably arrive at this position at some point in all of your topics.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Sometimes you get a seriously worthwhile contribution here.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Jaded Sage wrote:Sometimes you get a seriously worthwhile contribution here.
When do you plan to do that? 8)