The Judicial Concepts of Entering a Plea and Making Bail Are Improper

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Obvious Leo

Re: The Judicial Concepts of Entering a Plea and Making Bail Are Improper

Post by Obvious Leo »

Bob. What you're saying is not in the least bit hard to understand but all you've done is present a statement of position without offering a reasoned argument to support it. No doubt this is good enough for a divinely inspired prophet but it's nowhere near good enough for a philosophy forum, where supporting one's views with reasoned argument is the entire point of the exercise.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Obvious Leo wrote:Bob. What you're saying is not in the least bit hard to understand but all you've done is present a statement of position without offering a reasoned argument to support it. No doubt this is good enough for a divinely inspired prophet but it's nowhere near good enough for a philosophy forum, where supporting one's views with reasoned argument is the entire point of the exercise.
Well, I won't bore you with the U.S. Declaration of Independence published on July 4th, 1776, that told King George to stick his British Empire up his butt, but one line of it is quite apropos: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Please focus on the word "Liberty," for that is the reason anybody charged with a crime who is eligible for pretrial bail should not be charged any bail at all. Liberty does not have a price tag unless you're fighting the British Empire or remnants thereof, present company not excluded!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

bobevenson wrote:Well, I won't bore you with the U.S. Declaration of Independence
Why such coyness, all of a sudden. You've never shown any reluctance to bore the shit out of people before. If bail conditions violate your anachronistic constitution then take your silly story to the US Supreme Court.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

The AEP position is divinely inspired and goes against the position of every government on Earth since the beginning of time.
BigWhit

Post by BigWhit »

How hard is it to divulge the underlying principle behind such a claim? This is philosophy, is it not? We're not inclined to look at a watch and see what time it reads but look at the gears and inner workings of it to find out how exactly it indicates what it does. So far, trying to figure out what your underlying philosophy is for this claim is like trying to understand the working of a clock that doesn't have any innards at all. Even a dead clock will tell you a time and manage to be right at least twice a day. So far you're a dead clock, bob.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

BigWhit wrote:How hard is it to divulge the underlying principle behind such a claim? This is philosophy, is it not? We're not inclined to look at a watch and see what time it reads but look at the gears and inner workings of it to find out how exactly it indicates what it does. So far, trying to figure out what your underlying philosophy is for this claim is like trying to understand the working of a clock that doesn't have any innards at all. Even a dead clock will tell you a time and manage to be right at least twice a day. So far you're a dead clock, bob.
I'm sorry, but you're just too dense to understand. I suggest you take that trip to Australia and drink yourself nuts with Mr. Oblivious.
BigWhit

Post by BigWhit »

I certainly won't be partaking of any of the punch you've been drinking
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

BigWhit wrote:I certainly won't be partaking of any of the punch you've been drinking.
But you might consider playing a few hands of Ouzo.
BigWhit

Post by BigWhit »

Idk what that is, but my deployments have made me pretty damn near an expert at spades
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

BigWhit wrote:Idk what that is, but my deployments have made me pretty damn near an expert at spades
But Ouzo, the ultimate game, is the only game that can offer you spiritual salvation (see http://church-of-ouzo.com/pdf/ouzo-prophecy.pdf).
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Back on topic...

If the act is sufficient to get you arrested, your keister ought to sit in jail till trial (which should be speedy). Broadly, all crime fits into three categories: theft, killing, hurting. If there's sufficient cause to arrest Joe (sufficient evidence that he killed, stole, hurt) then lock him up, try him fast. If found guilty, apply the penalty; if found not guilty, let him go.

It's not rocket science.
BigWhit

Post by BigWhit »

bobevenson wrote:
BigWhit wrote:Idk what that is, but my deployments have made me pretty damn near an expert at spades
But Ouzo, the ultimate game, is the only game that can offer you spiritual salvation (see http://church-of-ouzo.com/pdf/ouzo-prophecy.pdf).

No thanks. If I want to play card games based on fiction I'd get into magic the gathering or something.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

I guess you've never played the bar game of liar's poker, played with the serial number of a dollar bill, right?
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

henry quirk wrote:If the act is sufficient to get you arrested, your keister ought to sit in jail till trial
Surely this is not enough to be definable as justice, although detention without trial is commonplace in many parts of the world. In most civilised nations the role of the police is merely to charge a person with a crime and collect evidence in support of the charge as laid. It is up to the courts to then determine whether the weight of evidence is such that the detention of the accused is justified, and the nature of the crime must surely be a significant factor in this decision-making process.

You'd be happier with the Japanese system of jurisprudence, henry. A not-guilty verdict is almost unheard of in a Japanese court and the reason for this is very closely tied to the Japanese culture of obedience to authority. If the cops say you did it then you're fucked.
bobevenson

Re:

Post by bobevenson »

henry quirk wrote:If the act is sufficient to get you arrested, your keister ought to sit in jail.
Yes, everybody knows that anybody arrested for anything is automatically guilty, and that a trial is just an expensive waste of time.