ELENI, by Nicholas Gage

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RachelAnn

ELENI, by Nicholas Gage

Post by RachelAnn »

Eleni is Nicholas Gage’s testament to his mother’s life and a depiction of her execution by Communists during the Greek Civil War in the 40s. It’s an extraordinary book for many reasons, and its power is difficult to describe. It’s long and complex, with so many characters that, halfway through, I wished I’d kept a chart with all the names and familial relations graphed, because every now and then I got lost in the maze.
In the days after I read Eleni, I realized on reflection that Gage tells another story in addition to his gripping personal story. He attempts to describe the Greek Civil War itself. In this, by the way, he has drawn some fire from those who believe he hasn’t given the Communist guerrillas their due.
But when I read Gage’s book I actually thought his portrait of said Communists was somewhat sympathetic. It’s hard to forget his description of them; one in particular was the local schoolteacher, initially a gentle idealist. The book delineates, step by careful step, how over the course of time these people compromised and hardened until they were all but unrecognizable, their dreams soured and their cause utterly transformed into something they wouldn’t have recognized (or supported) at the outset. To me, that was a twin tragedy.
Such movements, such revolutions, tend not to be the wonderfully exciting, meaningful, free places that participants imagine, but cold-hearted, calculating monoliths of purpose unimagined by the individual participants caught up in the heady romance of the moment…But to be openly abused, jailed, even executed… Such a betrayal… yet, time and time again, you read of True Believers chewed up and spit out by the momentum of the movement, a mere commodity to be used to the movement’s own ends.
Most revolutions do tend to turn on their own in time–and often not all that much time. But there’s a further aspect of it I want to discuss here, and that is this: when revolutions change into something unforeseen by their original– sometimes starry-eyed, idealistic, and naive–proponents, those early advocates often turn into opponents of the very revolution they launched. Their efforts to undo what they’ve unleashed are usually futile. Anyway, in the book there are two brothers, Prokopi and Spiro Skevis, the locals who, in Gage’s words, “sowed the seeds of Communism” in Lia, his home village, both were killed in battle rather than at the hands of their own. But Gage writes that, after the execution of his mother and four other villagers:
Spiro Skevis’ success in bringing Communism to the Mourgana villages had turned to ashes in his mouth. The execution in Lia of his five fellow villagers tormented him. A captain in his battalion later told me how, shortly after the retreat from the Mourgana, Spiro went out of control and tried to kill one of the chief aides [to the judge in the trial that led to Gage’s mother’s execution], drawing a gun on him and screaming that the man was a criminal, a murderer of women. Other guerillas jumped Spiro before he could pull the trigger. He went to the grave tormented by the perversion of the movement that he and Prokopi had begun with such high intentions.
I don’t think Spiro would be alone among revolutionaries in having such regrets. Robespierre and Trotsky – what were they thinking in their last moments?
There is much about the message of Eleni. It tells the sobering tale of what can—and often does—-happen when political idealists meet up with the roadblocks of reality and yet remain stubbornly dedicated to their plans rather than abandoning them. Those mushy idealists can turn into manipulative, angry, ruthless, power-hungry tyrants quite easily, and do so with depressing regularity:
The book delineates, step by careful step, how over the course of time these people compromised and hardened until they were all but unrecognizable, their dreams soured and their cause utterly transformed into something they would not have recognized (or supported) at the outset.
Psychonaut

Re: ELENI, by Nicholas Gage

Post by Psychonaut »

The book delineates, step by careful step, how over the course of time these people compromised and hardened until they were all but unrecognizable, their dreams soured and their cause utterly transformed into something they would not have recognized (or supported) at the outset
You repeated yourself.

I am sure that those mushy idealists would rather anything than ceding control of Greece to a Quisling and, having so fought for control of their country, what sense would it make to let the USA and Britain march in and set up their own puppet government?

Would Britain have taken it lying down if the USA had decided that the people who fought to repel the Nazis were not fit to decide their own post-war government? Perhaps we would have, but it would have been a lasting humiliation.

Would the people who fought to quell the Communist revolution which had thrown out the Nazis really have wanted the Military Dictatorship which subsequently ruled Greece?
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Hi Psychonaut,
My point I attempted to make -- attempted -- was not so much about world politics; I had meant it to be about human character and its malleability.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

For sure, it is a terrifying thing and it extends to many quarters.

Take, for example, the american propoganda designed to dehumanise the japanese and the vietnamese, so that those dewy eyed young boys off fighting for mom and apple pie thought nothing of firebombing tokyo, nuking nagasaki, or dropping napalm on jungle villages.

What do you think the problem is?

Seemingly it is the willingness of people who have ideals to operate on orders rather than their own morals, to accept the appeal to greater efficacy in achieving those ideals in lieu of personally actualising them.

Would you agree?
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

I think the problem is fundamentally human character, human nature. And that is why historically, people act as badly now as they did 'whenever in the past' and where ever on the map; and, especially when they believe they are acting on behalf of good intentions.
"FYI" Last week I read a book that documents (first hand sources) why Truman dropped the atom bomb. One major reason: to show military strength to the USSR, to intimidate it.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I think the problem is fundamentally human character, human nature. And that is why historically, people act as badly now as they did 'whenever in the past' and where ever on the map; and, especially when they believe they are acting on behalf of good intentions.
I think its far from the case that people's behaviour is universally the same through time and space.

There is the problem of defining which behaviour is good and which is bad, but whatever definitions you go for, frequency of behaviours has certainly altered.

I think it would be difficult to argue that the pacifistic Quakers and Amish lead lives as blameworthy as the average inner city inhabitant.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

The Quakers and the Amish also rape, steal, murder, and so forth.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

They would be acting contrary to their belief system if they were to do so, but I'm not going to play the 'definitionally not a Quaker' card..

Instead I'll just say that the frequency of such behaviours varies from place to place and also over time. If you seriously contend this point then I suppose I could go delving for some statistical evidence of this.

I wouldn't like to say what factors contribute to this variance, because there are far too many to do a meaningful analysis. I do, though, suggest that there might be a little less murder-death-kill in rural Pennsylvania than in Inner City London, or the city of ancient Rome.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

No need for statistics - don't trust'em, anyhow - and of course, you are right about there being higher crime rates and lower crime rates, depending... Even so, human nature remains. That has not 'evolved' over time. Not at all. Nor has it "devolved," for that matter. Theophrastus' The Characters is as applicable today as when it was first written.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Never read it.

Human nature has evolved over time, it is different today than it was when we were emerging from the hominids. You speak of devolution though, so I assume you mean evolved in the sense of achieving a 'higher' form rather than just changing form. Since I wouldn't much like to make pronouncements on what is better or worse for human nature, I'll agree that it probably hasn't got much better over time.

There are some things that have changed other than our nature, such as our environment, our social arrangements, the relationships we bear to our tools and our work. These changes have have ups and downs. I earlier said how the average Quaker probably does fewer wrongs than the average inner city inhabitant, and I think this probably has more to do with the circumstances of their living than their belief system. However, it is their belief system which determines their circumstances of living.

I think that whether people commit good or bad actions is generally determined by their wellbeing, and their wellbeing is largely determined by their circumstances.
Despite circumstances, though, there are still people who lead relatively blameless lives.

There are still rogues abounding, but you cannot claim that human nature is homogenous. There are plenty of people who commit no serious wrongs in their life. I guess that if you think everyone is a murderous, thieving rapist the 'everyone' must include yourself?
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

I guess that if you think everyone is a murderous, thieving rapist the 'everyone' must include yourself?
I did not state anything about "everyone." It is simply that all human communities will have their (un)fair share of creepy criminal people... that is as far as my generalization extends -- all human communities. Your thoughts?
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I did not state anything about "everyone." It is simply that all human communities will have their (un)fair share of creepy criminal people... that is as far as my generalization extends -- all human communities. Your thoughts?
Twin Oaks, in its 40-odd year history, has resorted to calling the police twice. Once because someone had a mental breakdown and got violent, and another time because a bunch of their farm equipment went missing. It was the kids from a neighbouring town.

It also depends what you mean by (un)fair share. That phrase could be taken to imply a plentiful supply, but as I said earlier there is great variance in the frequency of all manner of behaviours.

Ofcourse, all human communities, given a long enough period of time, will at some point experience some form of 'criminal' behaviour. This says more about time than it does about human communities or human nature, a la monkeys on typewriters.

All manner of factors contribute to the increase or reduction of 'criminal' behaviour, and perpetual rates are not something we should embrace as an inevitability.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

All manner of factors contribute to the increase or reduction of 'criminal' behaviour...
Interesting thought, Psychonaut. (that kinda rhymes...)
I was reading a study on sociopaths, and it pointed out that in Japan, the pressure to conform is incredible, compared to, say, the USA. The sociopath sublimates their criminal (narcissistic) tendency to the work place, and so avoids criminal behavior... Gosh, I am not wording this well. Better drink more coffee and shut up.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

When someone who is sociopathic is incapable of succeeding without ethical behaviour then they do indeed adopt a simulacrum of ethical behaviour, as per the corporations engagement in green wash, often to disguise their unethical activities. I thought we were talking about criminality though, which is something that the majority of sociopaths seem to shy away from; there is plenty of scope for screwing people over within the system.

It is also the case that the efficacy of a measure in reducing a behaviour is not the only factor in considering whether to use the measure. Methods of prevention which address suffering which lead to criminality are to be favored over methods of prevention which keep those people in suffering, but limit their options to remove themselves from that suffering by criminality, which are themselves favorable to punitive measures (which are often not demonstrably even effective at reducing crime rates).