What really matters?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

What really matters?

Post by Skip »

What's important?
Most people will immediately think in personal terms and say - my family, my marriage, my security, my art, my state of mind - my something. And that's true; those personal issues do require the majority of our effort and concern.

But, look outside - farther. What really matters in the world?
What's important enough to spend a lot of time thinking about?
What's worth composing a lot of sentences, absorbing insults, repeating, explaining, to try to communicate?
What's worth a lot of effort trying to bring about, or to stop or to change?
The Inglorious One

Re: What really matters?

Post by The Inglorious One »

The One.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Not what I would call a great big effort at sentence-forming and idea-sequencing, but it's a start.
Green

Post by Green »

Thinking about what society can do to mold a better future is a bit redundant, considering the future isn't promised no matter how much of an effort we put forth to bring about a good one, don't you agree? The majority of people will always be controlled by a select few, this is why, when it comes to what really matters, I ONLY think of immediate family. Specifically my mother. She has horrible chronic back pain, and I would do anything to take that away from her. But short of some supernatural sigil I can channel the gods for help with, reality has something else in mind:

Skip

Post by Skip »

Those two lovely creatures could put their ... time to better use!
Thinking about what society can do to mold a better future is a bit redundant, considering the future isn't promised no matter how much of an effort we put forth to bring about a good one, don't you agree?
I would very much like to disagree, but my efforts are growing ever feebler.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Nothing really matters,
Nothing really matters,
Nothing really matters,
To meeeeeee....
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I think we're making up what-we-will as we go... and part of that includes choosing/defining what "matters"... and then perhaps struggling over that with other people. If we could take a step back from all of it, and just observe without any attachment or judgment... we would probably see that ALL is so much greater than our small stories. There is no big deal, really. Yet, here we are -- in this experience -- and while we're in the midst of it and believing in it and feeling it, we might as well do whatever we feel inclined to do with it. Which will vary for everyone of course.

Personally, I've always wanted to see what I could do with this life despite the obstacles that seemed to spring up in front of me... and I've been inclined to keep moving ahead of where I've been, rather than looking or hanging back. At the same time, I like to feel that each moment (or series of moments) is so full and rich in its experience... that it's like a mini life of its own. I want to savor each drop as fully as I can... and when it's a bitter taste, I want to spew it out with passion and make a face! And then smile and laugh and drink some more.

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter WHY I'm here experiencing this... I just am. And I'll do my best to appreciate and accept all of it, including myself. It is a magnificent dream, exploration, delusion, or whatever it is. I feel certain that there is no separation between this apparent "me" and the greater all-that-is.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Self-realization and exploration have certainly always been high on people's priorities.

My contemporaries, in youth, would choose outward concerns prevalent at the time: whales, reproductive choice, fair trade, space flight...
The more idealistic would place their preoccupation one collective category above: Justice, Art, Knowledge, Tolerance, Freedom...

I wondered whether anyone still thinks in those terms.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Skip wrote:I wondered whether anyone still thinks in those terms.
Children do until they get such vanities brainwashed out of them and become the next generation of factory fodder for the dark satanic mills. That's why I took mine off the treadmill.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Love and understanding. People, other animals, plants, nature, the cosmos, the arts, sports, etc. The more we love, the more we learn and understand. The more we learn and understand, the more we love.

Life and humans have evolved a tremendous amount in the past billion years and (barring stray comets) the possibilities of the distant future are exciting, although there will be some hard times along the way.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greta wrote:The more we love, the more we learn and understand. The more we learn and understand, the more we love.
I love this. :D Makes wonderful sense to me.

Yes, there is so much about the future (and our continual unfolding) that can be extraordinarily exciting and interesting. A brilliant creation!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote:
Greta wrote:The more we love, the more we learn and understand. The more we learn and understand, the more we love.
I love this. :D Makes wonderful sense to me.

Yes, there is so much about the future (and our continual unfolding) that can be extraordinarily exciting and interesting. A brilliant creation!
It may be exciting and all, but its still ridiculous, means nothing, and when the final curtain falls, accomplishes nothing. Romanticise it all you want as brilliant, but it's not. And way to go for dragging future generations into your absurdity. Know what else is exciting? Being chased by a mad dog with snapping jaws. Excitement can be shit, too.
JSS

Post by JSS »

Skip wrote:What's important?
Most people will immediately think in personal terms and say - my family, my marriage, my security, my art, my state of mind - my something. And that's true; those personal issues do require the majority of our effort and concern.

But, look outside - farther. What really matters in the world?
What's important enough to spend a lot of time thinking about?
What's worth composing a lot of sentences, absorbing insults, repeating, explaining, to try to communicate?
What's worth a lot of effort trying to bring about, or to stop or to change?
A global, distributed means of strengthening life while reducing suffering.

If it works for everyone, it is likely to work for yourself with the cooperation of everyone. And is much harder to lose in battle.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dalek Prime wrote: It may be exciting and all, but its still ridiculous, means nothing, and when the final curtain falls, accomplishes nothing. Romanticise it all you want as brilliant, but it's not. And way to go for dragging future generations into your absurdity.
Well, I agree with you that it's also ridiculous and means nothing ultimately... but isn't that kind of the brilliance of it? It doesn't NEED to accomplish anything. It's a freaking free-for-all of experience... profoundly creative... like intricate sand sculptures that use up so much energy, only to be washed away in moments by the sea. So we experience each moment... and there are all sorts of possibilities for doing so... and then it transforms into something else. What would be more brilliant?

(Oh, and way to go for dragging future generations into your limited cranky view. :) )
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: It may be exciting and all, but its still ridiculous, means nothing, and when the final curtain falls, accomplishes nothing. Romanticise it all you want as brilliant, but it's not. And way to go for dragging future generations into your absurdity.
Well, I agree with you that it's also ridiculous and means nothing ultimately... but isn't that kind of the brilliance of it? It doesn't NEED to accomplish anything. It's a freaking free-for-all of experience... profoundly creative... like intricate sand sculptures that use up so much energy, only to be washed away in moments by the sea. So we experience each moment... and there are all sorts of possibilities for doing so... and then it transforms into something else. What would be more brilliant?

(Oh, and way to go for dragging future generations into your limited cranky view. :) )
I don't have kids. How am I responsible for dragging future generations into it? Think before you write crap.