Religion not required

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Religion not required

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:44 pm

I think the main reasons for religion are fear of death, pain, looking old and incapacity, all other reasons would be secondary. So if we can overcome all those problems, why would we need religion then? Why would there be a desire to go to heaven? (note I'm aware of the other desires, let's focus on these four).

PhilX

kriswest
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Religion not required

Post by kriswest » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:28 pm

I think a huge part of those 4 are the affects that occur to the people surrounding the person dying or old. Grief and pain causes desperation. You would have to adjust social and family attachments.

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Religion not required

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Looking old?

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3386
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Religion not required

Post by attofishpi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:48 pm

You are all clueless.

kriswest
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Religion not required

Post by kriswest » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:20 am

No, religion is a necessary security blanket for a sentient young species.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4923
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Religion not required

Post by Dalek Prime » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:31 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think the main reasons for religion are fear of death, pain, looking old and incapacity, all other reasons would be secondary. So if we can overcome all those problems, why would we need religion then? Why would there be a desire to go to heaven? (note I'm aware of the other desires, let's focus on these four).

PhilX
You can't overcome those problems. This is existence. So either stop creating it, or suck it up. Why should fiction's Frankenstein's monster (really, the doctor is) be the only one that rants at his creation by his 'father', and not any other existent at it's creation?

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3386
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Religion not required

Post by attofishpi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:01 pm

kriswest wrote:No, religion is a necessary security blanket for a sentient young species.
Really? So lets blanket ourselves in the fiery furnace of 'hell'...how's that for a 'security blanket'?

duszek
Posts: 2263
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: Religion not required

Post by duszek » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:13 pm

Religions are mainly sets of moral values.

We are bound to (re-ligio) certains moral standards composed into a system.

The Inglorious One
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Religion not required

Post by The Inglorious One » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:12 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think the main reasons for religion are fear of death, pain, looking old and incapacity, all other reasons would be secondary. So if we can overcome all those problems, why would we need religion then? Why would there be a desire to go to heaven? (note I'm aware of the other desires, let's focus on these four).

PhilX
Think again.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Religion not required

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:18 pm

The Inglorious One wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think the main reasons for religion are fear of death, pain, looking old and incapacity, all other reasons would be secondary. So if we can overcome all those problems, why would we need religion then? Why would there be a desire to go to heaven? (note I'm aware of the other desires, let's focus on these four).

PhilX
Think again.
Why?

PhilX

kriswest
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Religion not required

Post by kriswest » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:28 pm

attofishpi wrote:
kriswest wrote:No, religion is a necessary security blanket for a sentient young species.
Really? So lets blanket ourselves in the fiery furnace of 'hell'...how's that for a 'security blanket'?
It's better then a blizzard.
Hell is reserved for those of that religion who follow when it is convenient. If the bible is actually read it clearly states that all reward and punishment is given to the followers. Well, in the oldest scriptures it does. Humans tend to fill in blanks or words they do not know with what they want.
Their God has no control over me. I don't know about you.

The Inglorious One
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Religion not required

Post by The Inglorious One » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
The Inglorious One wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think the main reasons for religion are fear of death, pain, looking old and incapacity, all other reasons would be secondary. So if we can overcome all those problems, why would we need religion then? Why would there be a desire to go to heaven? (note I'm aware of the other desires, let's focus on these four).

PhilX
Think again.
Why?

PhilX
Your understanding of what is "good" is too narrow, too simplistic.

Overcoming the problem of suffering can indeed be the main motivation behind a religion. It is, in fact, the primary function of Buddhism. But true religion is not as simple as all that. For instance, if we watch a cat playing with a ball of string or a dog savoring a bone, it is obvious that that they experience pleasure. There is no question that some people, perhaps even most, aspire to for nothing more. For them, "the good" is what brings pleasure and minimizes suffering. It's an animalistic understanding that misses the point of what it is to be human. To the truly human, Ultimate Reality is the Good for which they aspire.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3386
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Religion not required

Post by attofishpi » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:47 pm

The Inglorious One wrote:Overcoming the problem of suffering can indeed be the main motivation behind a religion. It is, in fact, the primary function of Buddhism. But true religion is not as simple as all that. For instance, if we watch a cat playing with a ball of string or a dog savoring a bone, it is obvious that that they experience pleasure. There is no question that some people, perhaps even most, aspire to for nothing more. For them, "the good" is what brings pleasure and minimizes suffering. It's an animalistic understanding that misses the point of what it is to be human. To the truly human, Ultimate Reality is the Good for which they aspire.
You appear religious IO. Why so? And what so? How does panentheism sit with you?

The Inglorious One
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Religion not required

Post by The Inglorious One » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:48 pm

attofishpi wrote:You appear religious IO. Why so?
If it's the only way to make sense of it all, why not?

And what so? How does panentheism sit with you?
Pretty well. I'm currently rereading Return to the One by Brian Hines

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest