Religion not required

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Religion not required

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I think the main reasons for religion are fear of death, pain, looking old and incapacity, all other reasons would be secondary. So if we can overcome all those problems, why would we need religion then? Why would there be a desire to go to heaven? (note I'm aware of the other desires, let's focus on these four).

PhilX
kriswest

Re: Religion not required

Post by kriswest »

I think a huge part of those 4 are the affects that occur to the people surrounding the person dying or old. Grief and pain causes desperation. You would have to adjust social and family attachments.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Looking old?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

You are all clueless.
kriswest

Post by kriswest »

No, religion is a necessary security blanket for a sentient young species.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think the main reasons for religion are fear of death, pain, looking old and incapacity, all other reasons would be secondary. So if we can overcome all those problems, why would we need religion then? Why would there be a desire to go to heaven? (note I'm aware of the other desires, let's focus on these four).

PhilX
You can't overcome those problems. This is existence. So either stop creating it, or suck it up. Why should fiction's Frankenstein's monster (really, the doctor is) be the only one that rants at his creation by his 'father', and not any other existent at it's creation?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

kriswest wrote:No, religion is a necessary security blanket for a sentient young species.
Really? So lets blanket ourselves in the fiery furnace of 'hell'...how's that for a 'security blanket'?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Religions are mainly sets of moral values.

We are bound to (re-ligio) certains moral standards composed into a system.
The Inglorious One

Post by The Inglorious One »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think the main reasons for religion are fear of death, pain, looking old and incapacity, all other reasons would be secondary. So if we can overcome all those problems, why would we need religion then? Why would there be a desire to go to heaven? (note I'm aware of the other desires, let's focus on these four).

PhilX
Think again.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

The Inglorious One wrote:

PhilX
Think again.
Why?

PhilX
kriswest

Post by kriswest »

attofishpi wrote:
kriswest wrote:No, religion is a necessary security blanket for a sentient young species.
Really? So lets blanket ourselves in the fiery furnace of 'hell'...how's that for a 'security blanket'?
It's better then a blizzard.
Hell is reserved for those of that religion who follow when it is convenient. If the bible is actually read it clearly states that all reward and punishment is given to the followers. Well, in the oldest scriptures it does. Humans tend to fill in blanks or words they do not know with what they want.
Their God has no control over me. I don't know about you.
The Inglorious One

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
The Inglorious One wrote:

PhilX
Think again.
Why?

PhilX
Your understanding of what is "good" is too narrow, too simplistic.

Overcoming the problem of suffering can indeed be the main motivation behind a religion. It is, in fact, the primary function of Buddhism. But true religion is not as simple as all that. For instance, if we watch a cat playing with a ball of string or a dog savoring a bone, it is obvious that that they experience pleasure. There is no question that some people, perhaps even most, aspire to for nothing more. For them, "the good" is what brings pleasure and minimizes suffering. It's an animalistic understanding that misses the point of what it is to be human. To the truly human, Ultimate Reality is the Good for which they aspire.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

The Inglorious One wrote:Overcoming the problem of suffering can indeed be the main motivation behind a religion. It is, in fact, the primary function of Buddhism. But true religion is not as simple as all that. For instance, if we watch a cat playing with a ball of string or a dog savoring a bone, it is obvious that that they experience pleasure. There is no question that some people, perhaps even most, aspire to for nothing more. For them, "the good" is what brings pleasure and minimizes suffering. It's an animalistic understanding that misses the point of what it is to be human. To the truly human, Ultimate Reality is the Good for which they aspire.
You appear religious IO. Why so? And what so? How does panentheism sit with you?
The Inglorious One

attofishpi wrote:You appear religious IO. Why so?
If it's the only way to make sense of it all, why not?

And what so? How does panentheism sit with you?
Pretty well. I'm currently rereading Return to the One by Brian Hines