The UNIQUE chance

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: The UNIQUE chance

Post by HexHammer »

Gary Childress wrote:Interesting video. So what happens if there is a Pope after Francis? How would that fit into revelation? Wouldn't that be one "king" too many?
Indeed, but let's see now. Shall we?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Is it not time to just ignore this Sauerkraut?

The only thing s/he has given us is chopped cabbage of which his/her brain seems to be composed.

I like good sauerkraut, especially the way my wife makes it, she uses just a little brown sugar to kill much of the sour, and leave the flavor of spoiled cabbage.
We had a discussion about sprouts before Xmas, I dislike cabbage for the same reason.
I will assume that you are referring to "Brussels Sprouts", and I would agree based on the way my mother used to make them, they were just about the worst thing I ever had to eat as a kid growing up. But a few years ago we were at a friends house for a celebration and the woman made Brussels Sprouts differently and they were really good, so we have made them a few times since then. The big trick to cook good Brussels Sprouts, is do not over cook them, that was my mothers problem she would boil them to death till they were like mush with only a very bad flavor.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

HexHammer wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:Interesting video. So what happens if there is a Pope after Francis? How would that fit into revelation? Wouldn't that be one "king" too many?
There doesn't seem to be much choice. Sort of reminds me of predictions that the year 2000 would be the end of the world. Time to break out the popcorn and watch the crazy Christians running around like chicken little...again.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

And of course the "abomination" is that the current Pope seems (at least on the surface) to be a bit more outspoken and humanitarian than previous ones.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I was present at an event that I could only explain as the doings of the Holy Spirit, and if the Holy Spirit exists, then God.
Without even knowing what you witnessed I can tell you that I have a box full of alternate explainations for you, all of them more reasonable and most of them respecting Ockham's razor.
And I'm sure that your explanations would be much more reasonable to someone who wasn't there.
Give it a try. I'll share a similar experience that I also thought was the Holy Spirit, but grew up and learned more about human psychology and the anthropology of trance states.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Gary Childress wrote:And of course the "abomination" is that the current Pope seems (at least on the surface) to be a bit more outspoken and humanitarian than previous ones.
Being the head of one of the richest organisation on earth he can afford to appear a bit humanitarian. Pity he won't allow condoms, and the Pill.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Without even knowing what you witnessed I can tell you that I have a box full of alternate explainations for you, all of them more reasonable and most of them respecting Ockham's razor.
And I'm sure that your explanations would be much more reasonable to someone who wasn't there.
Give it a try. I'll share a similar experience that I also thought was the Holy Spirit, but grew up and learned more about human psychology and the anthropology of trance states.
Many years ago, approximately 35, I attended a conference of charismatic ministers in Grantham Pa. and during the final service there was the occurrence that I was referring to. We were in a large hall and close to the end of the service there was a low disturbance in the crowd, all sitting down, but the sound was like a small group was murmuring to themselves, shuffling their feet, and rutching around in their seats which were folding chairs. The sound was very localized and moved all around the room till it settled on one girl who was part of one of the musical groups that had preformed. She stood up and started to sing in a language that I didn't recognize and even though I only speak English I can recognize several different languages when I hear them. When she finished singing in this unknown language she sang it again in English. When she finished she sat down and appeared to be visibly shaken and drained of energy. Those who were leading the service had stopped when the disturbance started, and then went on to finish the service, I don't recall if they commented on the singing or not, as I said it was a long time ago.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Gary Childress wrote:And of course the "abomination" is that the current Pope seems (at least on the surface) to be a bit more outspoken and humanitarian than previous ones.
Just because he's "humanitarian" doesn't mean everything is good and dandy.

Francis spoke about homo rights, which in the christian view is abominable.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Gary Childress wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
There doesn't seem to be much choice. Sort of reminds me of predictions that the year 2000 would be the end of the world. Time to break out the popcorn and watch the crazy Christians running around like chicken little...again.
Uhmm, not sure you actually know what you are talking about.

There was specifically written in the end times many false prophets will arise, which is very true, many false prophets has made false predictions about when judgement day will come.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

HexHammer wrote:Uhmm, not sure you actually know what you are talking about.
I'm sure I don't. Are you even old enough to remember 2000? I am. BTW 2000 wouldn't be the first time either.

Here, pick a date: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictio ... _of_Christ

Knock yourself out...
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Gary Childress wrote:
I'm sure I don't. Are you even old enough to remember 2000? I am. BTW 2000 wouldn't be the first time either.

Knock yourself out...
Uhmm ..lemme put it this way, it's been 16 years since I last worked, and that was in the quality department of a big newspaper, so I'm much older than you think.

My appearance may be childish, but that's what kept me afloat and I was very skilled at what I did.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

HexHammer wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:

Knock yourself out...
Uhmm ..lemme put it this way, it's been 16 years since I last worked, and that was in the quality department of a big newspaper, so I'm much older than you think.

My appearance may be childish, but that's what kept me afloat and I was very skilled at what I did.
Really. Then what makes you say I don't know what I'm talking about?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Gary Childress wrote:Are you even old enough to remember 2000?
Gary Childress wrote:Really. Then what makes you say I don't know what I'm talking about?
It seems you fail at your own game?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

HexHammer wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:Are you even old enough to remember 2000?
Gary Childress wrote:Really. Then what makes you say I don't know what I'm talking about?
It seems you fail at your own game?
Nice try but let's try to get back on point. Was there talk of 2000 being the "end of the world?" Was it the end of the world? Sounds like both of us were there in 2000 to potentially listen to it. maybe you weren't paying as much attention. As I say there really isn't much for sane people to do other than watch some crazy Christians running around talking about the end coming. It's not the first time. Maybe it won't be the last time. Or maybe it will be the end of the world. Who knows? I'll grab the popcorn. You can grab whatever you want as long as it's not attached to me. We'll see what happens.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Is it not time to just ignore this Sauerkraut?

The only thing s/he has given us is chopped cabbage of which his/her brain seems to be composed.

I like good sauerkraut, especially the way my wife makes it, she uses just a little brown sugar to kill much of the sour, and leave the flavor of spoiled cabbage.
Lol! Yuck!