Hi...

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Scott Mayers

Hi...

Post by Scott Mayers »

I'm Canadian-born and partially American raised but prefer non-National designations. I'm both partially educated and self-taught in almost every area to a never-ending degree. Philosophically, I'm non-theist, a "gnostic" atheist (meaning I now 'know' and can argue against traditional religious beliefs with certainty), and yet agnostic in my approach (a skeptic practice). I'm already familiar with a few forums, especially, skepticforum.com (Skeptic Magazine's forum), that uses the same phpBB software to which I am most comfortable with.

I love science and philosophy but am just as skeptical of aspects of both and hope that you appreciate the depths I go into. So, if you prefer succinctness, I always recommend Twitter to those who may complain of this.

I already tried to post on another subject to start but the site timed out on me and my whole post is lost. This is one thing I didn't expect since the skepticforum.com site keeps me online when I'm online posting. So this is my first post here.

I'm looking forward to discussing and debating here.

Scott.
Dalek Prime

Re: Hi...

Post by Dalek Prime »

For succinctness, I always recommend Hemingway.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Scott Mayers wrote:I'm Canadian-born and partially American raised but prefer non-National designations. I'm both partially educated and self-taught in almost every area to a never-ending degree. Philosophically, I'm non-theist, a "gnostic" atheist (meaning I now 'know' and can argue against traditional religious beliefs with certainty), and yet agnostic in my approach (a skeptic practice). I'm already familiar with a few forums, especially, skepticforum.com (Skeptic Magazine's forum), that uses the same phpBB software to which I am most comfortable with.

I love science and philosophy but am just as skeptical of aspects of both and hope that you appreciate the depths I go into. So, if you prefer succinctness, I always recommend Twitter to those who may complain of this.

I already tried to post on another subject to start but the site timed out on me and my whole post is lost. This is one thing I didn't expect since the skepticforum.com site keeps me online when I'm online posting. So this is my first post here.

I'm looking forward to discussing and debating here.

Scott.
Welcome.
Please don't be put off by the local Rottwieller called Bob Evenson. No one else takes him seriously so I doubt you will.
There are one or two other oddities, here, but I'm sure you will have fun finding out for yourself.

I can't remember ever being timed-out on this site, so you may want to consider a connection issue. Again even with a failing connection I find these days that simply hitting the "back" button always returns me to the text I've written. Is your OS and computer old?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I get connection issues around 1am, ET.

Are you calling me an oddity, Hobbes?...
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Thanks, guys. I'm glad to be here and look forward to some good discussions and debates.

That connection issue is becoming commonplace everywhere. My computer system is presumably better than most yet trying to ascertain where the problem lies is difficult even with the extent of learning I have so far put into computers. The learning is never-ending. It doesn't help that our governments and/or technology companies keep our systems open for problems since they always develop them to purposely be exposed to some backdoor. This is excused by governments for their concerns about things like terrorism and by the tech companies (like Intel) upon both this AND the concerns of some who may accidentally lock themselves out of access to their computer. [I relate on this last point as I've actually lost my password once and had to find software that enabled me to reset it.] These seemingly unrelated problems are what also enable hackers to eventually be able to discover how to break into one's systems and so we are stuck with ever-harder problems to solve.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I echo the welcome of the others, Scott, and offer a suggestion regarding getting timed out. Simply write your comment as a word document and paste it in when you're ready to post it. I haven't struck such a problem on this site but I've encountered it elsewhere and can fully understand your frustration. Having said that, long posts can also be a turn-off for many and often difficult to concisely respond to. If you've got a complex idea to put I've figured out that it's often more productive to break it up into digestible chunks and feed these in a bit at a time as you get some meaningful feedback to respond to. This often means that a thread might veer off into an unforeseen direction but my experience is that this is more often than not a good thing rather than a bad one.

Don't worry too much about the troglodytes you'll encounter here and try to ignore the ungentlemanly language which erupts from time to time. It's taken me a little while to get used to it but I now regard it as valuable comic relief and decided When in Rome I shall do as the Romans do. In honour of this principle I better warn you that Bob Evenson is a brainless fucking moron and sadly he's not the only one.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Scott,
Scott Mayers wrote:...
I already tried to post on another subject to start but the site timed out on me and my whole post is lost.
I assume you mean that when you click the preview or submit button it takes you to the login screen and if you then login you've lost your post. If so then before logging in hit the back button on your browser and this will return you to your reply, copy it, then hit preview or submit, login in and then you can paste the reply back in. Hope this helps as this used to drive me nuts as well.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Obvious Leo wrote:I echo the welcome of the others, Scott, and offer a suggestion regarding getting timed out. Simply write your comment as a word document and paste it in when you're ready to post it. I haven't struck such a problem on this site but I've encountered it elsewhere and can fully understand your frustration. Having said that, long posts can also be a turn-off for many and often difficult to concisely respond to. If you've got a complex idea to put I've figured out that it's often more productive to break it up into digestible chunks and feed these in a bit at a time as you get some meaningful feedback to respond to. This often means that a thread might veer off into an unforeseen direction but my experience is that this is more often than not a good thing rather than a bad one.

Don't worry too much about the troglodytes you'll encounter here and try to ignore the ungentlemanly language which erupts from time to time. It's taken me a little while to get used to it but I now regard it as valuable comic relief and decided When in Rome I shall do as the Romans do. In honour of this principle I better warn you that Bob Evenson is a brainless fucking moron and sadly he's not the only one.
Thank you for this advice. I've been slowly adapting this from my experiences elsewhere at times but haven't internally recognized it as the way you put it here best. The complaints I've received often spoke of 'succinctness' but this suggested to me that I had to find some means to summarize my whole development of thoughts of those posts into sound bites. The way you explain it is clearly an alternative that I can accept and try to improve upon.

I've also experienced the vulgarity of others elsewhere sometimes and often make successful strides in relating to most as well as to contribute to reducing the abuses through such relations overall. I should be fine.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Arising_uk wrote:Hi Scott,
Scott Mayers wrote:...
I already tried to post on another subject to start but the site timed out on me and my whole post is lost.
I assume you mean that when you click the preview or submit button it takes you to the login screen and if you then login you've lost your post. If so then before logging in hit the back button on your browser and this will return you to your reply, copy it, then hit preview or submit, login in and then you can paste the reply back in. Hope this helps as this used to drive me nuts as well.
Yeah, that's the error I made. Thank you too.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Obvious Leo wrote:
:lol:

Welcome to the forum, Scott (fresh meat...er.. I mean Scott) :twisted:
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

My dad was from Canada. His favorite joke was,
How did Canada get its name?
They put all the letters in a hat. The first letter drawn was a "C". Everyone said "eh" Then a "N" was drawn. Everyone said "eh" Then a "D" was drawn. Everyone said " eh"
Ironically, I used to post at a right wing site (theology forum) the name I chose was "agnostic_gnostic"!
JohnMcNeil

Post by JohnMcNeil »

Hello, my name is John from Arlington. Nice to meet you