How to respond to an insult on a forum ?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

How to respond to an insult on a forum ?

Post by duszek »

If you simply ignore it then other people may think that you are too weak to fight or that you deserve this insult.

They may.

But do they really ?

What are the options ?
cladking

Re: How to respond to an insult on a forum ?

Post by cladking »

Always try to ignore it and always ramp it down. You can't completely ignore direct insults but try to land one back that will stick. It should be ramped down. Insults that are accurate tend to stick so look for soft spots in their persona. Did I mention that you need to ramp it down.

Never let them know if they cut too close to the bone or they'll pile on it. This means you have to treat all insults equally even if they don't bother you equally.

The important thing though is to ramp it down. If the other party continues to ramp it up then just ignore them altogether. People will see them for what they are.

In my experience most percieved insults on the net are actually mere misunderstandings. Then they get ramped up out of ccontrol and someone is banned (not always the guiltier party).
Skip

Post by Skip »

Options:

Return the insult, amplified - escalate hostility. Advantage: adrenalin rush, which may help with digestion, redirect ire from targets in real life.
Disadvantage: hasten cirrhosis and heart attack.

Return insult, veiled - use sarcasm or speculation on the opponent's personal life and habits. Advantage: smug basking in own cleverness. Disadvantage: no foreseeable resolution.

Ignore specific insult, but attack insulter directly at every future encounter. Advantage: something to look forward to. Disadvantage: the possibility of having sometime to face the fact that, if insulting some idjit on the internet is what you look forward to, your life is falling short of its potential.

Place insulter in ignore list. Advantage: No need to read his stupid comments. Disadvantage: He's making stupid comments behind your back.

Ignore insult and stay on topic. Advantage: satisfaction of own maturity. Disadvantage: missing out on playground feuding.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I am not worried about what others might think of me if I do not respond in kind to any insults
directed at me. I think it far better to rise above any temptation to reply likewise. And in any
case I find no need to employ emotion on rational forums as one should be using logic instead
But I very rarely get ad hominem anyway and if I do I just ignore it or respond without malice
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Skip wrote:Options:

Return the insult, amplified - escalate hostility. Advantage: adrenalin rush, which may help with digestion, redirect ire from targets in real life.
Disadvantage: hasten cirrhosis and heart attack.

Return insult, veiled - use sarcasm or speculation on the opponent's personal life and habits. Advantage: smug basking in own cleverness. Disadvantage: no foreseeable resolution.

Ignore specific insult, but attack insulter directly at every future encounter. Advantage: something to look forward to. Disadvantage: the possibility of having sometime to face the fact that, if insulting some idjit on the internet is what you look forward to, your life is falling short of its potential.

Place insulter in ignore list. Advantage: No need to read his stupid comments. Disadvantage: He's making stupid comments behind your back.

Ignore insult and stay on topic. Advantage: satisfaction of own maturity. Disadvantage: missing out on playground feuding.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That should be in the rules of every forum. Terrific, Skip!

If something rings true or has value, it does not feel like an insult to me, even if it's harsh. Therefore, how I categorize insults are those bombardments that are so obviously idiotic (and made-up or projected) that I either call them out as such, or I'm guessing that other observers will recognize it for what it is, even if I decide not to respond at all. It does not matter to me one way or the other, to convince anybody of anything. On some level... I think we all know the truth about ourselves. I know what does and does not apply to me... and someone else (who is being insulting) knows if they are being an ass, even if they deny it and pretend otherwise. I think most people are pretty perceptive at deciphering subtle cues... so it's funny to watch us all go through the motions aloud.
duszek

Post by duszek »

It might be helpful to ask:

What would Jesus do ?
What would Socrates do ?
What would Inspector Barnaby do ?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

duszek wrote:It might be helpful to ask:

What would Jesus do ?
What would Socrates do ?
Or what would Bartleby do?

Who's Inspector Barnaby?

You might ask what would Tony Soprano do?
Skip

Post by Skip »

What would Jesus do ?
Pelt that fucker with bread. The staler the better.
What would Socrates do ?
Bore him to death with rhetoric.
(Or was that Gustav Bjornson? I get them mixed up.)
Which one? John Nettles would smirk sardonically and kick Jones on the ankle when nobody's looking. Neil Dudgeon would ask a few quizzical questions and sick Sykes on him once they're off camera.
(Or was that me?)
duszek

Post by duszek »

I don´t know Tony Soprano, but Inspector Barnaby is well known in the UK and also in some other countries.

For you who lives in the US:

What would Inspector Dereck do ?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Well this is what Hex Hammer and Philosopher Explorer do : call each
other retards as often as possible because they can not stop declaring
their undying mutual love when ever there is any opportunity to do so
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

What would Socrates do ?
Probably something like this: 'The examined response is not worth posting'
Skip

Post by Skip »

Just as well nobody listens to him - or what would we do between innings?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

do what Obama does... hit 'em with a drone

-Imp
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Forget about all those other guys... what would Captain Kirk do???

Hmm... Probably nothing because of the Prime Directive: he's not allowed to interfere with primitive species. He would instead smile with one corner of his mouth, and steal the guy's woman while a purple light illuminates half of Kirk's face, and seductive alien music plays.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I saw the incomplete heading, and thought this was "How to respond to an insu[rance agent]". :lol: