Is dumbing down a resume legitimate?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is dumbing down a resume legitimate?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "Truth in advertising." There are all sorts of reasons why people dumb down their resumes. I'm in favor as employers aren't interested in your life story.

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Re: Is dumbing down a resume legitimate?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Tailor your resume to the employer. They want to know if you can do a certain job, not run the company. Are you reliable? Will you be there to do it? Can they pay someone else less to do it?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Yes. There's no point giving employers reasons to cull your application. Same with age. If employers are less likely to hire you due to age discrimination then why not lie if you look young for your age?

Usually, no one ever looks as impressive as on their resume. I'm fan of testing for many positions, to see if employees have more going on than a good story on the resume and a silver tongue.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The 'resume' and 'recruitment' industry. Just more American bullshit that has poisoned the planet.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote:Yes. There's no point giving employers reasons to cull your application. Same with age. If employers are less likely to hire you due to age discrimination then why not lie if you look young for your age?

Usually, no one ever looks as impressive as on their resume. I'm fan of testing for many positions, to see if employees have more going on than a good story on the resume and a silver tongue.
I've heard of a job applicant who made it a point to include her age on her resume. Why? It effectively screens employers who wouldn't have a real interest in her and allows her to focus on the ones who would.

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Greta wrote:Yes. There's no point giving employers reasons to cull your application. Same with age. If employers are less likely to hire you due to age discrimination then why not lie if you look young for your age?

I've heard of a job applicant who made it a point to include her age on her resume. Why? It effectively screens employers who wouldn't have a real interest in her and allows her to focus on the ones who would.

PhilX
A very old friend lost his job after 29 years at the same graphics company. The new CEO wanted to waste money on new facilities, and "fill the place with millenials". Experience counts for nothing these days, it would seem. Ageism is on the rise.

Boomers clung to their jobs for too long, and passed over GenXer' saw them go to boomer's kids.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophy Explorer

Dalek Prime wrote:

PhilX
A very old friend lost his job after 29 years at the same graphics company. The new CEO wanted to waste money on new facilities, and "fill the place with millenials". Experience counts for nothing these days, it would seem. Ageism is on the rise.
Marry the boss's daughter/son.

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

He's probably older than the boss. Besides, he's married with grown kids.
Greta

Post by Greta »

PhilX
How'd she go?

A long term unemployed friend who looks young for his age apart from going prematurely grey always refused point blank to colour his hair and lie about his age to improve his work chances. He worried that he'd have to keep dying his hair and eventually an employer would find out that he lied and sack him, and maybe tell other prospective employers in the industry about him. Staying honest didn't help - he remains chronically unemployed and, at his age, not competitive for any job.

It's illegal to discriminate but employers still do it, so it would seem fair for job applicants to similarly play the game.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I've often had to recruit people to jobs in the past, both for a major corporation and for businesses of my own. I barely looked at resumes and any that were more than 2 pages long were immediately discarded. They're a moderately useful device for compiling a short list but that's about it. Of far more value is the assessment of previous employers and I NEVER spoke to the referees offered in the resume, preferring to chase up my own lines of enquiry. It's always a rather fraught process but in the final analysis it was always all about the interview and in the interview you simply trust your instincts. It's never about what the candidate can claim to do, or even about what the candidate can actually do, but rather about whether the candidate will fit into your organisation and learn to do what you want him to do without you having to look over his shoulder all the time. People who can't motivate themselves and can't think for themselves are a waste of space.
vegetariantaxidermy

Obvious Leo wrote:I've often had to recruit people to jobs in the past, both for a major corporation and for businesses of my own. I barely looked at resumes and any that were more than 2 pages long were immediately discarded. They're a moderately useful device for compiling a short list but that's about it. Of far more value is the assessment of previous employers and I NEVER spoke to the referees offered in the resume, preferring to chase up my own lines of enquiry. It's always a rather fraught process but in the final analysis it was always all about the interview and in the interview you simply trust your instincts. It's never about what the candidate can claim to do, or even about what the candidate can actually do, but rather about whether the candidate will fit into your organisation and learn to do what you want him to do without you having to look over his shoulder all the time. People who can't motivate themselves and can't think for themselves are a waste of space.
How bloody stupid. People might not want their boss to know they are looking for another job. Their boss might not like them (which doesn't make someone a bad worker). Their boss might not want them to leave. They might have left a job in less than favourable circumstances through no fault of their own. Phoning someone's past employers is a disgraceful invasion of a person's privacy. The 'recruitment' industry=more American trash garbage bullshit phoniness. You can even buy books that tell you the 'right' answers to give at interviews. Barf.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote:I've often had to recruit people to jobs in the past, both for a major corporation and for businesses of my own. I barely looked at resumes and any that were more than 2 pages long were immediately discarded. They're a moderately useful device for compiling a short list but that's about it. Of far more value is the assessment of previous employers and I NEVER spoke to the referees offered in the resume, preferring to chase up my own lines of enquiry. It's always a rather fraught process but in the final analysis it was always all about the interview and in the interview you simply trust your instincts. It's never about what the candidate can claim to do, or even about what the candidate can actually do, but rather about whether the candidate will fit into your organisation and learn to do what you want him to do without you having to look over his shoulder all the time. People who can't motivate themselves and can't think for themselves are a waste of space.
How bloody stupid. People might not want their boss to know they are looking for another job. Their boss might not like them (which doesn't make someone a bad worker). Their boss might not want them to leave. They might have left a job in less than favourable circumstances through no fault of their own. Phoning someone's past employers is a disgraceful invasion of a person's privacy. The 'recruitment' industry=more American trash garbage bullshit phoniness. You can even buy books that tell you the 'right' answers to give at interviews. Barf.
Clearly you've never run a business.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

You can even buy books that tell you the right answers to give at interviews
If you seen Batman and Superman having an argument how would you stop it
vegetariantaxidermy

Obvious Leo wrote:
Clearly you've never run a business.
You are obviously fully immersed in the bullshit industry, you have said so yourself, so you have a vested interest in it.
vegetariantaxidermy

surreptitious57 wrote:
You can even buy books that tell you the right answers to give at interviews
If you seen Batman and Superman having an argument how would you stop it
How would you tell your neighbour that your pet lion had just eaten his wife?
Your house is on fire. How would you use your corporate prioritizing skills to determine which child to save first? After saving said child, how would you determine whether it's exponentially financially feasible to save the remaining children taking into account the fact that they are liable to have a negative impact on the end of year revenue statement.