Welcome to our new forum!

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philofra

Re: Welcome to our new forum!

Post by philofra »

Rick,

With all due respect, why didn't you leave the 'new forum' the way it was? The only thing I like about the new, new one is the blue masthead, instead of the red.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

As I've said in the other threads, this is only temporary.

Actually, I think I quite like this format - it is growing on me! Still, I wouldn't foist it on everyone else here against their wishes.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

What's the, what's going on?
We won't lose all the old threads again will we?
I was just in the middle of copying and pasting them :?: :?:
:(
philofra

Post by philofra »

I really like the new look! Wow!!
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

The look is alright. It still doesn't motive me to post though I am sure I will get used to it. It's almost as if you all are strangers to me. There was a certain personality with the last forum. Odd.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Oo! That "you have 3 embedded quotes" and so cannot post is annoying :x "I Know!", as I use the quote function, thats why I'm trying to preview, so I can spot them! Or have I missed an XML debug funtion somewhere in the new functionality?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

One difference between the new forum software (phpBB 3) and the old version (phpBB 2) is that in this new version, links no longer open in a new window. I thought that was quite a handy feature of the old version. In the new version, once you click a link in somebody's post then you leave the forum and can only return to it by clicking the back button.

However, Bora has now implemented a modification which should mean that links once again open in a new window. The modification won't affect existing links, but should work for new posts with links created from now on.

To test this out, here is a link to Philosophy Now:

http://philosophynow.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Hey, it works! :D
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Thanks Rick, it works for me too and it is a very useful improvement. We now have two people who have found that it works, so that proves it will work for everyone.

But there might be a black swan lurking around the corner.

No, don't worry about that, because its working is not a mere coincidence. It is explained by deeper facts about how software works and about how computer hardware works.

But you cannot rely on assertions about software without a full theory to account for the causal efficacy of what are effectively computers' mental processes, and you cannot rely on assertions about hardware because at some level, perhaps sub-atomic, we will be down to mere regularities with no sign of causal necessity.

When I find that black swan, I shall enjoy it with roast potatoes and parsnips. I dine, I play a game of backgammon, I converse, and am merry with my friends; and when after three or four hours' amusement, I would return to these speculations, they appear so cold, and strained, and ridiculous, that I cannot find in my heart to enter into them any farther.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Do you enjoy Tavli (backgammon) too Richard? I would love to play you sometime if you are game?
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Psychonaut wrote:Do you enjoy Tavli (backgammon) too Richard? I would love to play you sometime if you are game?
I have not played for ages. The parsnips are my suggestion, but the backgammon is Hume's (Treatise, book 1, part 4, section 7; page 269 in the Selby-Bigge/Nidditch edition).
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

A shame. I love Tavli, and I pwn all teh n00bz.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Good Morning to you!! "Tavli." There - now I've written something pertinent to the conversation. Hello All You People!
effie

Post by effie »

Psychonaut wrote:Do you enjoy Tavli (backgammon) too Richard? I would love to play you sometime if you are game?
How on earth could an Englishman know this word (tavli)? Do we all have Greek roots as a semi-insane Greek book-seller insists on Greek Television? :P :lol:
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I know a half-Greek/half-French chick who I used to play against all the time.

She told me of her trips through Greece where all the old men would be sat playing, fingering their komboloy.