Why did God create so many idiots?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: Why did God create so many idiots?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Actually, it's humans that create idiots. Humans create them, in their inability to truly see them, as their selfishness decrees. It's all quite laughable, actually! :lol:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Actually, it's humans that create idiots. Humans create them, in their inability to truly see them, as their selfishness decrees. It's all quite laughable, actually! :lol:
Given that some will contend that man created God, the question still stands as written.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

At one time there was no hope, but thanks to advances in chemotherapy, anyone can now become Italian.
SpheresOfBalance

thedoc wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Actually, it's humans that create idiots. Humans create them, in their inability to truly see them, as their selfishness decrees. It's all quite laughable, actually! :lol:
Given that some will contend that man created God, the question still stands as written.
I have no problem with the question standing. It can stand wherever one wants to position it.
Still, in fact, humans create idiots, not gods. It's all a matter of perspective doc!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Ned wrote:God did it probably to aggravate me,
Well can you blame him? You sure as hell get on my nerves so I can easily understand why God would want to cause you aggravation.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Ned wrote:This a serious questions to true believers. We all have seen them. They are all over. In government, in military, in business, in the citizenry at large and even on forums.
Please define the word "idiot" in this context.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bobevenson wrote:Please define the word "idiot" in this context.
Everybody who doesn't see things the same way Ned does.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:If everyone understood the truth of human existence, the in and outs of their and all other psyches, there would no longer be any discernible differences between us, we'd just step knowledge up a notch to include a much higher level of understanding.
I think so too. Everywhere we look, we can see other potentials/reflections of ourselves. And the ones we don't like, we condemn... as if to prove that WE ARE ABOVE THAT. But any idea of being "ultimately separate" from anyone or anything is an illusion, I think. We are actually looking into our own faces and fighting with ourselves. I'm not saying that can't be fun! 8)

To respond to the OP's question of why there are so many "idiots"... we'll, first, we ALL are surely "idiots" in various ways... and, second, the way I explain it (or anything I don't like) to myself is: a universe of such VAST creative and evolving ability/nature WOULD explore and express itself in EVERY possible way and manifestation. What kind of universe would only create a limited, solid set of anything? It's actually FANTASTIC (even if annoying or perplexing to humans) that ALL possibilities are on the table, don't you think? And these possibilities continually evolve and morph in all directions... beyond what we can conceive. It's quite entertaining and challenging and inspiring! One minute shining brilliantly... the next minute dim. That's how I feel in my life, anyway. :D
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Lacewing wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:If everyone understood the truth of human existence, the in and outs of their and all other psyches, there would no longer be any discernible differences between us, we'd just step knowledge up a notch to include a much higher level of understanding.
I think so too. Everywhere we look, we can see other potentials/reflections of ourselves. And the ones we don't like, we condemn... as if to prove that WE ARE ABOVE THAT. But any idea of being "ultimately separate" from anyone or anything is an illusion, I think. We are actually looking into our own faces and fighting with ourselves. I'm not saying that can't be fun! 8)

To respond to the OP's question of why there are so many "idiots"... we'll, first, we ALL are surely "idiots" in various ways... and, second, the way I explain it (or anything I don't like) to myself is: a universe of such VAST creative and evolving ability/nature WOULD explore and express itself in EVERY possible way and manifestation. What kind of universe would only create a limited, solid set of anything? It's actually FANTASTIC (even if annoying or perplexing to humans) that ALL possibilities are on the table, don't you think? And these possibilities continually evolve and morph in all directions... beyond what we can conceive. It's quite entertaining and challenging and inspiring! One minute shining brilliantly... the next minute dim. That's how I feel in my life, anyway. :D
I think it is exactly this type of new age mumbo-jumbo that makes me think you would be well to hand yourself the task of unpacking a few unfounded beliefs and assumptions, rather than play lip-service to Leo's remarks on skepticism.

To me it's all about adopting the contrarian's stance and assuming that everything you see, read and hear is bullshit until you have persuasive evidence to the contrary. Question everything and believe nothing. Be a person of opinions by all means but ensure that all your opinions are infinitely malleable and subject to modification or change in the light of further information. To me this is what intelligence is but this is not a definition which is applicable to a theist, who has a ready-made suite of opinions handed to him on a plate which he is forbidden to question.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dalek Prime wrote:You should look into dystheism or misotheism, Ned. It helped me answer a lot of these questions, that atheism just can't reach. Assuming God exists, it doesnt automatically follow that he is beneficent. Or capable of creating perfection, either. Nor does it follow that one must agree with his design, or plans. And why would I worship that which I don't agree with? Out of fear at his power and possible condemnation? He may be able to use me as his whipping boy, but I'm not going to love him for it.

I consider him more a malignant demiurge.
I've intermittently had the same sort of views toward god and religion myself, although I generally try to remain agnostic. But it's hard not to get angry at the state of the world around us. One of my favorite literary quotes is from Stephen Crane regarding wanting to throw bricks at temples but coming to the realization that there are no bricks to throw and no temples to throw them at. In other words we're screwed. And there's nothing we can do.
SpheresOfBalance

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Lacewing wrote:

I think it is exactly this type of new age mumbo-jumbo
It's not new age mumbo-jumbo, because it's not a BMW. IT'S FACT! The earth is one planet, the biosphere is one life sphere (system), all life on the planet has one origin, thus all life is related. It's not new age mumbo-jumbo, it's been the absolute truth of planet earth, for billions of years, but we'll pardon you for not knowing your history!

that makes me think you would be well to hand yourself the task of unpacking a few unfounded beliefs and assumptions, rather than play lip-service to Leo's remarks on skepticism.

To me it's all about adopting the contrarian's stance and assuming that everything you see, read and hear is bullshit until you have persuasive evidence to the contrary. Question everything and believe nothing. Be a person of opinions by all means but ensure that all your opinions are infinitely malleable and subject to modification or change in the light of further information.

I agree, but I think anyone a fool that doesn't heed Science's understanding, especially the easier stuff, that would seem very apparent.

To me this is what intelligence is but this is not a definition which is applicable to a theist, who has a ready-made suite of opinions handed to him on a plate which he is forbidden to question.
But your bucking the religion of science not the religion of deities!