Meno's paradox

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: Meno's paradox

Post by HexHammer »

Wyman wrote:What a cop-out. You ask me a series of questions that go further and further off topic and I answer them, never claiming to be an expert. I wait for you to make a point - giving you the benefit of the doubt and thinking that your questions were perhaps leading somewhere (I was very patient and polite). Then you act like a child, stamp your feet, and say I'm superficial and you don't want to play any more.

You can only earn respect by stating your positions and laying out your reasoning. I have not earned yours, which is fine. But only a coward refuses to state his position for fear that his reasons will not stand up to scrutiny.
What good is giving irrelevant answers, then give none and go away!
You are like a communist, wanting to let the beauty of "equality" rule everything, and ruin society by that, you don't comprehend the terrible consequences nor do you care about how reality crumbles around you, just as long as you get your "equality".

Dude, you lack intellect in every way possible, you don't comprehend the concept of "relevance" and sit here to cozy chat, because that's your nature, to just saying irrelevant things, so when I ask you to say something intelligent, you are totally lost.

Just do the both of us a favor and be quiet and go away!
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

HexHammer wrote:
Wyman wrote:What a cop-out. You ask me a series of questions that go further and further off topic and I answer them, never claiming to be an expert. I wait for you to make a point - giving you the benefit of the doubt and thinking that your questions were perhaps leading somewhere (I was very patient and polite). Then you act like a child, stamp your feet, and say I'm superficial and you don't want to play any more.

You can only earn respect by stating your positions and laying out your reasoning. I have not earned yours, which is fine. But only a coward refuses to state his position for fear that his reasons will not stand up to scrutiny.
What good is giving irrelevant answers, then give none and go away!
You are like a communist, wanting to let the beauty of "equality" rule everything, and ruin society by that, you don't comprehend the terrible consequences nor do you care about how reality crumbles around you, just as long as you get your "equality".

Dude, you lack intellect in every way possible, you don't comprehend the concept of "relevance" and sit here to cozy chat, because that's your nature, to just saying irrelevant things, so when I ask you to say something intelligent, you are totally lost.

Just do the both of us a favor and be quiet and go away!
You don't even know who you're talking to. I'm the one who routinely questions egalitarianism on this forum. I have several times expressed my admiration for Nietzsche for his attack on the idea of equality as an ideal.

Get this: this is a forum - forums are for discussions. It is a philosophy forum. Why would someone who obviously cannot or will not participate in a discussion and who will not read any of the literature come on a philosophy forum? I and a few others here have actually read some philosophy (and studied logic) and enjoy discussing our common interest. What kind of person inserts himself into a discussion for the purpose of attacking the people and subject matter? I would never go to a physics forum or computer engineering forum (if they exist) and tell everybody their favorite subject is stupid and they all know nothing about it. Only a fool would do something like that.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

...sigh! ..not even a metaphor do you understand, see you don't know when to taking literally and when to see beyond the wording.

NOW JUST SHUT YOUR RETARDED MOUTH!!!!
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

HexHammer wrote:...sigh! ..not even a metaphor do you understand, see you don't know when to taking literally and when to see beyond the wording.

NOW JUST SHUT YOUR RETARDED MOUTH!!!!
You mean the law of unintended consequences - Karl Popper. Why don't you read some of his works and we can have discussion.
van Keister

Post by van Keister »

I agree that the Meno seems outdated, but I had a professor once who said, "All of you have the Truth inside of you, my job is to just let it out." That makes sense if we believe intuition and revelation are part of knowledge. Pascal without reading Euclid was able as a child to deduce all of Euclid's theorums. I think this is in line of the true meaning of the Meno. There is some knowledge beyond experience that comes only through intuition. We remember the truth.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

van Keister wrote:"All of you have the Truth inside of you, my job is to just let it out." That makes sense if we believe intuition and revelation are part of knowledge.
Do you know why there's admission to university, to high educations and high pay jobs? ..because so many lacks intuition which is neurological terms, means lack of cognitive abilities, if you take a look around in various philosophy forums, you'll see people cozy chatting for decades without getting anywhere. They delude themselves by asking the same questions over and over, then maybe they'll magically find truth.

What your professor said was very politically correct and motivating, but very limited true.
van Keister

Post by van Keister »

You are right. Actually he was a literature professor and a very inspiring one...
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

If you know what you are inquiring about you must already have the answer. If you don't know what you are inquiring about you must not be able to recognize it when you find it.

I think the first guy missed the point. As far as I can tell, the point is to wrestle with it. It is a puzzle to be solved that stretches the mind.