Is global warming pseudoscience?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is global warming pseudoscience?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I believe it is. For at least two reasons:

a) New discoveries keep coming up in science (has anyone proven the implications of global warming?)

b) We can't even get reliable weather forecasts.

PhilX
henry quirk

Re: Is global warming pseudoscience?

Post by henry quirk »

Yes, it is.

More accurately: human-driven climate change is manure (a particularly stinky grade of manure).

Follow the money.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The temperatures don't lie, or is that a big conspiracy too? Don't you think the powerful fossil fuel companies would be campaigning against it if they thought it was just 'pseudo-science'? The melting ice doesn't lie. Day to day weather is different from global weather. You might get one freezing cold day in a winter, with the temperate over several months averaging out at higher than the year before. It's a lot easier to predict long-term weather than day to day, and they get day-to-day right most of the time, you just don't notice those times. It's a lot more fun to grumble when they get it wrong.
I don't understand what motivates you deniers. The only thing I can think of is that you are all suicidal and homicidal, and therefore looking forward to the end of humanity. I've already explained the difference between science and pseudo-science on another thread, so no, global warming does not qualify as pseudo-science.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The temperatures don't lie, or is that a big conspiracy too? Don't you think the powerful fossil fuel companies would be campaigning against it if they thought it was just 'pseudo-science'? The melting ice doesn't lie. Day to day weather is different from global weather. You might get one freezing cold day in a winter, with the temperate over several months averaging out at higher than the year before. It's a lot easier to predict long-term weather than day to day, and they get day-to-day right most of the time, you just don't notice those times. It's a lot more fun to grumble when they get it wrong.
I don't understand what motivates you deniers. The only thing I can think of is that you are all suicidal and homicidal, and therefore looking forward to the end of humanity. I've already explained the difference between science and pseudo-science on another thread, so no, global warming does not qualify as pseudo-science.
The unreliable weather forecasts don't lie either.

Here is an article from NOAA: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/mtsparker.htm

PhilX
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Veg,

I don't deny climate change; I question human-driven climate change.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote:Veg,

I don't deny climate change; I question human-driven climate change.
Why? Do you think the planet can sustain an infinite number of resource-hungry humans?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Since when is 7 billion an infinite number?

And: yeah, resources are finite, so why not expand and mobilize space programs?

We shoulda been on Mars twenty years ago; shoulda been mining near-Earth objects twenty years ago.

As for a changing climate: if indeed man is driving it in crappy directions, then the best solution is to reduce the industrial burden, yes?

You can do that by crippling industry through regulation, or, you a export industry into space, into orbit, onto the moon.

The tech has been avaiable for at least two decades. The ISS (and all the support vehicles that service it) are your proof of concept.

But, no...it's apparently better to piss away money on hand-wringing and industry castration.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

I agree that the climate is warming,

I agree that human activity is at least partly to cause.

I disagree that it will be a disaster, coastal cities will grow up, and more will become coastal, if mankind is as intelligent as it claims.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"It's usually when man upsets the balance, that things go wrong."

That's the thing, Doc: I've yet to see the evidence that man has screwed the pooch.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Global Cooling?

Adapt 2030: https://www.youtube.com/user/MyanmarLiving/videos

This channel shows a ton of studies pointing towards a mini ice age, from 2015-2035.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

And especially watch this recent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ks2iSJ5Cp0

Weather news reports which the mainstream media is obviously omitting.
Philosophy Explorer

Here's the latest update about global warming:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/4/872745 ... ened-study

In particular, it says the UN study is flawed.

PhilX