Why did God create so many idiots?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: Why did God create so many idiots?

Post by Dubious »

As modern media proves, a plethora of idiots is the best way to gain credibility and wealth. God of course knew this and decided to make only a few exceptions.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

ReliStuPhD wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Personally, I've never said there was no creator, just that there is no god. Because the god that everyone harps about, is so obviously mankind's creation, surely not a god. The reason I see this as true is because mankind is largely petty, and in this image, how could a creator of all the universe be that?
There's a lot to be said for this. For my part, when I refer to "God" I'm not necessarily speaking of the Christian one (or the Islamic one, etc). I think on the most basic of terms, "God" would be the "non-contingent ground of being." On that definition, nearly all religions believe in "God" since they hold to a supreme ground of being beyond which there is no greater. Whether that "God" is personal, etc is up to the various traditions to debate.
And that's why I have no problem accepting us all out of the staring gates, until one shits on another/me because of their blindness. Though I'll always give them the opportunity, to wipe their shit out of their own eyes, so as to finally see clearly, accepting all men as the same in their, so called, needs. Because we are all basically the same, the differences are irrelevant. In just that, we can come together, if no where else.

Everyone needs something to believe in. For me, for now, it's the universe, whatever it may really be in it's totality, because I'm a part of it, 'we are of star stuff.' Somehow I find it comforting that I'm the result of, probably several, super novas. I just wish that when I died my consciousness could travel the entirety of the universe, for eternity, so I can witness her secrets first hand. Of course I'd prefer my wife's consciousness to accompany me. That would be the ultimate trip, I'm sure. Of course for it to really be interesting, We'd have to start at the beginning, seeing all the truth of its origin as well; if only... ;)
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Take an 'honest' look, if you can...
An honest look is close to impossible when you yourself are the subject of your gaze, for you are too immersed in it all.
SpheresOfBalance

Pluto wrote:
Take an 'honest' look, if you can...
An honest look is close to impossible when you yourself are the subject of your gaze, for you are too immersed in it all.
Maybe for some, though I'm making "incremental" headway. ;) Actually I have been for some time now, though I don't know how far I'll get before d-day. :( Some are just lucky to have, not as much ground to cover, as I do. Luck of the draw, tumble of the dice.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Others can define you, though they play tune to human conventions and are themselves defined. I asked my computer, what am I, it gave me an answer but not one I could decipher.
SpheresOfBalance

Pluto wrote:Others can define you, though they play tune to human conventions and are themselves defined. I asked my computer, what am I, it gave me an answer but not one I could decipher.
I hear you with the computer bit. As to computers and their reliance on their programmers, someone coined, "garbage in, garbage out." So no one can account for what one returns unless they account for how they were programmed.

But what I'm really referring to is psychology. With psychology, history, philosophy and the observation of others, including body language, especially with accompanying verbal dialog, one can sort out human motivations. And since one is a human, they, if completely honest, and spend enough time analyzing their own feelings, actions, and reactions, can see themselves more clearly, more accurately, than those that don't try at all. Often those types are instead, 'caught up' in their, feelings, actions, and reactions. Of course ones epiphanies are always after the fact, as hindsight is always 20/20, well if one takes enough time that is.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Pluto wrote:
It is the power elite in politics, business and the church that create idiots by the well executed dumbing-down process that works on every level from the cradle to the grave. By not teaching critical thinking in the schools and idiotic propaganda and advertising in the media, they confuse people to the point of giving up trying to understand anything. Instead of the much needed scientific education they promote reality shows and celebrity worship, sprinkled generously with religious eye-rolling and bible-thumping.
The above is a definition of society for me
A kindred spirit!!!

Some have their eyes open. :)
SpheresOfBalance

Yes, some are blind to the totality of it 'all,' the history of 'all' mankind, though in fact it has 'all' served to enlighten.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Pluto wrote:I asked my computer, what am I, it gave me an answer but not one I could decipher.
Was it the same computer that said: "the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42" :lol:
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

No.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

...so that evolution would have a purpose.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote:
attofishpi wrote: I thought it more likely he wanted to have a bunch of atheists aboard the ship.
Are you saying that because there are Atheists, that is proof of God's existence. The belief is that God gave man free will, that there are those who choose not to believe, is proof of this free will. If man did not have free will, God could have just made man to believe, and there would be no choice. If believing in God were automatic and not freely chosen, it wouldn't be worth anything at all.
Hi Doc,
You jump to presumptions quick. The question was 'why did god create so many idiots?' I dont understand why you think that my reasoning for God's existence would be upon there being atheists upon our spaceship Earth. Seems very irrational at the least...aside from that i'm almost in full agreement with the rest.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

attofishpi wrote:
thedoc wrote:
attofishpi wrote: I thought it more likely he wanted to have a bunch of atheists aboard the ship.
Are you saying that because there are Atheists, that is proof of God's existence. The belief is that God gave man free will, that there are those who choose not to believe, is proof of this free will. If man did not have free will, God could have just made man to believe, and there would be no choice. If believing in God were automatic and not freely chosen, it wouldn't be worth anything at all.
Hi Doc,
You jump to presumptions quick. The question was 'why did god create so many idiots?' I dont understand why you think that my reasoning for God's existence would be upon there being atheists upon our spaceship Earth. Seems very irrational at the least...aside from that i'm almost in full agreement with the rest.
I forgot the question marks, I was really asking if this was your intention.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dubious wrote:...so that evolution would have a purpose.
So that smart people would have something to measure their intelligence against?
Ned

Post by Ned »

My favourite reply to the question posed in this thread, posted somewhere above (by Bill Wiltrack) is:

"Why did so many idiots create a god?"

...and why do so many still believe in that fantasy? :roll: