Superior future AI

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Superior future AI

Post by HexHammer »

I don't understand why we portray future AI as severely lacking in understanding human behavior, in various series and movies. Like Lt Data in StarTrek and the Terminator in T2.

It should be easy to upload anthropological, psychological and every day casual behavior data ..etc, so they gain superiority.

/rant
Dalek Prime

Re: Superior future AI

Post by Dalek Prime »

HexHammer wrote:I don't understand why we portray future AI as severely lacking in understanding human behavior, in various series and movies. Like Lt Data in StarTrek and the Terminator in T2.

It should be easy to upload anthropological, psychological and every day casual behavior data ..etc, so they gain superiority.

/rant
I'm not buying that you can upload human behaviour traits to machines for them understand us. Just look at this board. We often don't understand each other, and we are vastly more flexible.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Dalek Prime wrote:I'm not buying that you can upload human behaviour traits to machines for them understand us. Just look at this board. We often don't understand each other, and we are vastly more flexible.
That's because the people here really lacks in basic intellect and knowledge.

If you understand human behavior you can be a good spin doctor, marketing guru, salesman, business man, shrink, etc.

Very simple.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

HexHammer wrote:That's because the people here really lacks in basic intellect and knowledge.

If you understand human behavior you can be a good spin doctor, marketing guru, salesman, business man, shrink, etc.

Very simple.
But you can't quantify human genuity and freedom onto an equation to make so-called 'Artificial Intelligence' as truly alive and independent as natural human beings. The only 'intelligence' a robot or a computer would have would be that originated from us, as we have the will to do so.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

WanderingLands wrote:
HexHammer wrote:That's because the people here really lacks in basic intellect and knowledge.

Very simple.
But you can't quantify human genuity and freedom onto an equation to make so-called 'Artificial Intelligence' as truly alive and independent as natural human beings. The only 'intelligence' a robot or a computer would have would be that originated from us, as we have the will to do so.
This is true, provided human cognition has a non-computational aspect that cannot be captured by bits and bytes. I am one of the skeptics of AI in this respect. The other big challenge to proponents of AI is how to overcome the problem of embodied cognition. Our thinking is inextricably linked to our physical make-up.

www.wikipedia.org./wiki/Embodied_cognition
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:This is true, provided human cognition has a non-computational aspect that cannot be captured by bits and bytes. I am one of the skeptics of AI in this respect. The other big challenge to proponents of AI is how to overcome the problem of embodied cognition. Our thinking is inextricably linked to our physical make-up.

http://www.wikipedia.org./wiki/Embodied_cognition
It's highly irrelevant for a superior AI to use EC directly like humans, it can be simulated.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

HexHammer wrote:
Ginkgo wrote:This is true, provided human cognition has a non-computational aspect that cannot be captured by bits and bytes. I am one of the skeptics of AI in this respect. The other big challenge to proponents of AI is how to overcome the problem of embodied cognition. Our thinking is inextricably linked to our physical make-up.

http://www.wikipedia.org./wiki/Embodied_cognition
It's highly irrelevant for a superior AI to use EC directly like humans, it can be simulated.
How would you suggest it be simulated?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:How would you suggest it be simulated?
When saying "can" be simulated doesn't mean it have to, since I believe it's largely irrelevant.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

HexHammer wrote:
Ginkgo wrote:How would you suggest it be simulated?
When saying "can" be simulated doesn't mean it have to, since I believe it's largely irrelevant.
'

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you and it may well be the case that embodied cognition is irrelevant when it comes to AI. However, I was interested in your comment in relation to how it can be simulated. Can you give me an outline or a reference?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:I was interested in your comment in relation to how it can be simulated. Can you give me an outline or a reference?
Nope! Honestly I don't know, because I don't care about it.

However, I know it it's part of our compulsions, that will affect our consciousness, it can be so strong that it can almost be considered OCD.
There are countless of stories about organ transplant people who have waken up with new desires of food, cigarettes, alcohol, etc and visual memories.

Since my knowledge is so limited I would make a lvl 1 prototype where dependent on simulated dopamine lvl, the urge should be decided from that.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

This represents my contribution to this subject (soon my free Talking Girlfriend app will have its second major upgrade):

http://m.phys.org/news/2015-07-future-a ... gence.html

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Another possible advance in neural computing:

http://m.phys.org/news/2015-07-straintr ... eural.html

PhilX