Go back to the void from whence you came!

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Go back to the void from whence you came!

Post by Blaggard »

I genuinely think light prose and I Think you know what I mean by that, or film, or x has a lot to teach us about ethics, and how hence we should live a moral life.

I think sadly though those who care for philosophy care little for the tales of morality in any of those forms, it seems to be my impression at least. They probably don't even know what Aesops Fables are, and care less for the prose than a rat cares for a space to grind in.

But if I can ask a question to those who discuss and debate this issue, why do you shun any sort of story but your own? what is it about the good life that makes you shun others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekx3unEYYWg

As the green clarinet shows...

Or should I say a parody of the Pied Piper of Hamlyn. :P

... like those who dine well off the plainest dishes, he made use of humble incidents to teach great truths, and after serving up a story he adds to it the advice to do a thing or not to do it. Then, too, he was really more attached to truth than the poets are; for the latter do violence to their own stories in order to make them probable; but he by announcing a story which everyone knows not to be true, told the truth by the very fact that he did not claim to be relating real events.
—Philostratus, Life of Apollonius of Tyana, Book V:14

On Aesop.

I am well aware most if not all will say: I have not seen this, I will not see this, I will not watch this, I can not watch this, I can not read this I can not see this. But such ignorance should not go unchallenged, such a thing is not philosophy at all: you are only a blind man in a dark room, looking for a light switch even if you could find it. it would not hence and could not enlighten you. How so?
Buddhist guy

Re: Go back to the void from whence you came!

Post by Buddhist guy »

Absolutely! The figure of Golum in lord of the rings is an obvious allegory of the human being in a state of war with his own being, enslaved to his own deluded greed for example. It's amazing how mythology and popular fiction can live in our psyches. I've had the figure of the gingerbread man pop into my mind as an image that aptly captured a complex emotional dynamic.
But if I can ask a question to those who discuss and debate this issue, why do you shun any sort of story but your own? what is it about the good life that makes you shun others?
Just another example of self/other ingroup/outgroup i'd say.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Blaggard can't reply as he's gone back to the void from whence he came.
Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

Haven't we all! :lol:
bergie15

Post by bergie15 »

Buddhist guy wrote:Absolutely! The figure of Golum in lord of the rings is an obvious allegory of the human being in a state of war with his own being, enslaved to his own deluded greed for example. It's amazing how mythology and popular fiction can live in our psyches. I've had the figure of the gingerbread man pop into my mind as an image that aptly captured a complex emotional dynamic.

Just another example of self/other ingroup/outgroup i'd say.
That is a good point about Gollum. He is at war with himself because of his obsession with the ring. The part of him that is Smeagol argues with the the part that is Gollum. His greed for the ring consumes him.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:Blaggard can't reply as he's gone back to the void from whence he came.
Has Blaggard gotten into your head, Arising?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Has Blaggard gotten into your head, Arising?
Nope but he was obviously slightly out of his at times.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Has Blaggard gotten into your head, Arising?
Nope but he was obviously slightly out of his at times.
You didn't get the joke... Sigh....
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:You didn't get the joke... Sigh....
Nope, was it concerned with the thread? If so I haven't closely read it as I was just replying to someone who thought Blaggard might respond and did not know that he'd been banned.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:Blaggard can't reply as he's gone back to the void from whence he came.
Has Blaggard gotten into your head, Arising?
I was joking that you're headspace and the void Blaggard went back to were one and the same.... At first I thought you were just being bull-headed on other threads. I'm now suspecting you genuinely don't understand or see subtleties in others' arguments. Either way, it's no fun when a joke has to be explained. :|
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Buddhist guy wrote:Haven't we all! :lol:
If you're still on the dharmic wheel, I'd say not... I realize you were kidding, but the irony of a self-identifying Buddhist saying that was not lost on me. :wink:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:I was joking that you're headspace and the void Blaggard went back to were one and the same....
Oh! You were saying my head is a void. Har! Har!
At first I thought you were just being bull-headed on other threads.
Because I didn't agree with you?
I'm now suspecting you genuinely don't understand or see subtleties in others' arguments.
Probably not as I prefer clear points.
Either way, it's no fun when a joke has to be explained. :|
You think good comedians blame their audience for a bad joke?
Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Buddhist guy wrote:Haven't we all! :lol:
If you're still on the dharmic wheel, I'd say not... I realize you were kidding, but the irony of a self-identifying Buddhist saying that was not lost on me. :wink:
Good point :lol: I was thinking more in terms of Buddhist mind stream/karma, "I" am not the "me" I was yesterday etc.