~ Chickens Are Human Too ~

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ Chickens Are Human Too ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

It's Time We Treat Chickens as Animals and Not Products

"The day may come, when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those rights which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of tyranny...The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but, 'Can they suffer?'"
Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation

Have you ever considered a chicken? Not as a nugget, kebab or omelet, but as a creature that has needs, feels pain and suffers.

John K

Re: ~ Chickens Are Human Too ~

Post by John K »

The ancient Greeks figured this out Bill.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
It's Time We Treat Chickens as Animals and Not Products

"The day may come, when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those rights which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of tyranny...The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but, 'Can they suffer?'"
Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation
Have you ever considered a chicken? Not as a nugget, kebab or omelet, but as a creature that has needs, feels pain and suffers.

But they taste so good.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

The world imposes on all things. Animals are imposed on to provide for our sustenance, work, and as playthings. Adults are imposed on to labour for society. Children, both animal and human, are imposed on to replace the former, and provide for the humans they replace.

Imposition is the default state. Only if we stop imposing, and accepting imposition as the norm, will this end.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I like the way you think and the way that you express your thoughts.

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Thank you Bill. I've given the problem of suffering and its causes considerable thought. Life's impositions are so ubiquitous, we tend to overlook them entirely, and just accept this state of affairs. But imposition, by definition, ignores issues of consent and free will. And where these are ignored, suffering will follow.

And, just to mention, I have been following what you have been going through of late. I would have commented, but I was concerned my ingrained pessimism would only exacerbate the situation, and not help, so I didn't. But I want you to know that I wish you the best.

------------------------------
"We cannot live in a world that is not our own, in a world that is
interpreted for us by others. An interpreted world is not a home.
Part of the terror is to take back our own listening, to use our own
voice, to see our own light."

- Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

One solution, though I don't really see it as a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCLZwo3TZ3A
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:One solution, though I don't really see it as a problem.

Hey, that's unfair! Breeding the cow with a preference to be eaten has taken its free will away, as it can no longer reasonably consent NOT to be eaten. So we cannot take it's entreaties to eat it seriously. It's become a parody of consent.... (Oh my, did I actually make a serious attempt to refute that cow? :shock: )

One of my favorite series, btw.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:

Hey, that's unfair! Breeding the cow with a preference to be eaten has taken its free will away, as it can no longer reasonably consent NOT to be eaten. So we cannot take it's entreaties to eat it seriously. It's become a parody of consent.... (Oh my, did I actually make a serious attempt to refute that cow? :shock: )

That is another BBC production that I had on video tape, but lost. My older daughter talked me into going to see the recent production and my constant question, (often out loud and she would shhhh, me) "Where did that come from", to all the extra stuff that was not part of the original, and certainly not anywhere as good as Douglas Adams original material. I have considered buying the original again on DVD, but there is no way I would have the later version in my house, except to throw it like a frisbee.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

The Modern Nazi is effecient at what it does. It (the panopticon) makes the populace so dumb (by means of xeno-toxicity, brainwashing and foodborne chemicals) that populace cannot comprehend the question "Does a Jew (the chicken) have feelings." And if it does avoid the brainwashing, the human animal is too numb to care, even about itself or the presence of the panopticon.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:

Are you a mind reader, how do you know that the cow didn't really want to be eaten, or are you just projecting your own sensibilities onto this poor animal? That's called projection, and it's not very realistic. The cow freely claimed that it wanted to be eaten, to provide nourishment and pleasure to others.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:

Are you a mind reader, how do you know that the cow didn't really want to be eaten, or are you just projecting your own sensibilities onto this poor animal? That's called projection, and it's not very realistic. The cow freely claimed that it wanted to be eaten, to provide nourishment and pleasure to others.
Doc, you're not taking my humour seriously, are you?

Since you are, I believe that the cow or the waiter says something to the effect that the cow was specifically bred to want to be eaten. And since it was bred that way, it no longer has free will to wish otherwise. Thus again, it becomes a parody of consent, where free will is illusion.

Btw, I just noticed you called it a "poor" animal. Why would you consider it to be "poor", if it freely consented? Wouldnt it then be "rich", and fulfilled? Unless you really agreed with me... Is this a contrarian moment, Doc?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Best thread title I've seen on here.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Best thread title I've seen on here.
Yeah. Bill certainly knows how to market. 8)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Yeah. Bill certainly knows how to market. 8)
No, plagiarise or at best retwit.