Different types of beauty

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Different types of beauty

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote:So if there is a beautiful rose on the moon and nobody to see it then the rose´s beauty does not exist.

How about a beautiful jewel which sank to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean when the ship Titanic collided with an iceberg.

Has the jewel stopped being beautiful because no conscious human being is there to notice it ?

Now you are asking "Does beauty have to be perceived to exist?". The appreciation of beauty certainly requires perception, but the intrinsic existence of beauty, possibly not. Your two examples also bring up the question "Does beauty exist in nature, man's creation, or both. I've seen many beautiful things and scenes in nature, I have also seen many man made objects that are beautiful. Many man made objects that were ugly, but fewer natural things that were not beautiful in some way. One thing I would like to see someday is a polished, uncut diamond. Would it's natural form be as beautiful as the cut diamond?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

tbieter wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Would you agree there are different kinds of beauty, each to be appreciated in their own individual way? And would you also agree that beauty is subjective in nature?

PhilX
No and No.
Sorry for necroposting to this thread, but I have to reply that this opinion (tbieter's opinion) is so stupid, I don't even know what to say.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: I don't even know what to say.

Quite understandable, given who the poster is.
amplified cactus

Post by amplified cactus »

In general, I don't have single ideals. For me, many things are equally beautiful, and things can be beautiful in all sorts of different ways.

Yes, it's completely subjective.