A philosophical treatise on mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

A philosophical treatise on mind

Post by Blaggard »

I have I am sure you will agree been a human for some decades, but I still don't understand mankind. Can someone explain our minds or if not that: mankind..?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: A philosophical treatise on mind

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote:I have I am sure you will agree been a human for some decades, but I still don't understand mankind. Can someone explain our minds or if not that: mankind..?
The following presentation describes the inner machinations of a certain kind of mind. Viewer discretion advised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQnolt_hqBA

Your brain on marijuana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmn3X4sZPgM
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote:I have I am sure you will agree been a human for some decades, but I still don't understand mankind. Can someone explain our minds or if not that: mankind..?

"I think, therefore I am." or some such nonsense like that. Humans are 1% different than Chimpanzees, but humans do a lot of things differently than a Chimp. Is that 1% all that accounts for our humanity? So it would seem, so don't sweat that 1%, look at the 99% that we share. So humans are 99% animal and only 1% human, small difference.

Almost forgot, to explain most of mankind, examine the animals and you'll understand 99% of being human, and that would include the mind.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Lazy answer doc: humans are 50% the same as tomatoes by your reasoning does that make us half tomato?

1% yes (not actually true it's closer to .5% at most) but the Devil is in the details doc as always. ;)

One thing we can be sure of perhaps is to hope their is intelligence somewhere.

Fuck all on Earth. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

Now you put it like that...
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote:Lazy answer doc: humans are 50% the same as tomatoes by your reasoning does that make us half tomato?

1% yes (not actually true it's closer to .5% at most) but the Devil is in the details doc as always. ;)

One thing we can be sure of perhaps is to hope their is intelligence somewhere.

Fuck all on Earth. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

Now you put it like that...
Though doc is a stupid ****, I'll say he's at least right about this. Humans really are nothing but mammals.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Blaggard,

I've already done that. Getting those who say that they want to understand the mind, but who have been programmed with the scientifically acceptable premises leading to its misunderstanding, to critically examine those premises, so as to open up a space for ideas that actually fit the data but are contrary to the scientist belief system, is no more possible than convincing the Rastafarian who appears unbidden on your Sunday doorstep to give up his religion and devote his life to the study of theoretical physics.

Greylorn
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote: Lazy answer doc: humans are 50% the same as tomatoes by your reasoning does that make us half tomato?
Yes, but in your case, that 50% is rotten.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Sure, but you're either too cheap to buy my book, or not yet prepared to understand it. And I got it that you do not like me much, which does not further an exchange of ideas. That can change.

All okay, but why complain about missing understanding until you've checked out non-conventional ideas that explain it in ways you have not yet considered?

Greylorn
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

You might have to be more specific.

On the whole, we are born with a sponge for a brain. In this way a baby born into a Australian aborignine family; and Eskimo family, or into the family of an "American elite capitalist" can adapt, take on the ideologies, practices and beliefs of their early experience.
The worlds we create within us are complex narrative that anticipate the reception of new informations and build the context within which we understand new experiences. We become the thing that our culture determines us to be, and this limits our conceptual horizons.
If you were to have swopped Osama Bin Laden as a child and brought him up in the family of the "rich American elite capitalist", he would not have been a Moslem but probably would be baying for the blood of Muslims due to the atrocity of 9/11.

Mankind adopts his kin, tribe, religion, ideas, absorbs them like a sponge. We think we are objective, reasonable and have choices. To a limited extent we do, but we protect ourselves from reason, to cope with life with our family, friends and society.

This is mankind's problem. What he believes is what constructs his world.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Mankind adopts his kin, tribe, religion, ideas, absorbs them like a sponge. We think we are objective, reasonable and have choices. To a limited extent we do, but we protect ourselves from reason, to cope with life with our family, friends and society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSkjBwfbGVI
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
You might have to be more specific.

On the whole, we are born with a sponge for a brain. In this way a baby born into a Australian aborignine family; and Eskimo family, or into the family of an "American elite capitalist" can adapt, take on the ideologies, practices and beliefs of their early experience.
The worlds we create within us are complex narrative that anticipate the reception of new informations and build the context within which we understand new experiences. We become the thing that our culture determines us to be, and this limits our conceptual horizons.
If you were to have swopped Osama Bin Laden as a child and brought him up in the family of the "rich American elite capitalist", he would not have been a Moslem but probably would be baying for the blood of Muslims due to the atrocity of 9/11.

Mankind adopts his kin, tribe, religion, ideas, absorbs them like a sponge. We think we are objective, reasonable and have choices. To a limited extent we do, but we protect ourselves from reason, to cope with life with our family, friends and society.

This is mankind's problem. What he believes is what constructs his world.
H.C.
Bin Laden was the offspring of filthy rich parents. He had all the perks.

Greylorn
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Greylorn Ell wrote:H.C.

Greylorn
How does this affect HC's point?
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Arising_uk wrote:
Greylorn Ell wrote:H.C.

Greylorn
How does this affect HC's point?
Read HC's post and figure this out for yourself. You'll just bitch about any explanation I might propose.

Greylorn
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Greylorn Ell wrote:Read HC's post and figure this out for yourself. You'll just bitch about any explanation I might propose.

Greylorn
I did read it, that's why I asked you as all he said was if he was born in a rich western capitalist system he'd not likely to have been a Muslim and more likely to have opposed Muslims due to 9/11 rather than, I assume, causing it. Where does your comment make any difference to this point?