what is normality?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

David Handeye

what is normality?

Post by David Handeye »

I don't consider the concept of normality would be arbitrary at all, and so being linked to altering elements like social contests, personal education, common sense, etc. There should be a thread along with things and persons could be considered as normal despite historical variances and personal assumptions. What is this thread? What are the elements never to be excluded by the concept of normality? Or else, what are those elements always recognized to be normal and that could never be questioned?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: what is normality?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Normality is the human DNA. Human DNA evolves over time. Current trend is "ape want money, ape want family, ape want sex, ape want house and fancy car, ape want be like other apes." This is heralded as something to strive for and popular.

The same culture that perpetuates this idea takes a little time out of their day every now and then to say "ape must be different, ape must think for themself, ape must give to others and not cherish material things."
Then two seconds later after they preach this new concept, they will then revert to showing them sitting at the dinner table with a nice house, family, fancy car and eating steaks which were tortured and murdered animals.

Later they will then preach "the ape's government is bad...they evil, they rape planet, kill people, tell you want to do, government = bad. Then 2 seconds later they will turn around, put their hands on their heart, and pledge allegiance to their God, America.

Then the next day they will watch a movie about how apes bullying and ridiculing other apes is bad. They will cry and say "oh how bad!" then 2 seconds later their kid will come out of the closet revealing themselves to be socially deviant, such as transgender or homosexual. The parents will then bully and ridicule their young.

This is considered normal human ape behavoir.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

What incredible apes you have got over there! Here in Europe they can't do all those things yet
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

David Handeye wrote:What incredible apes you have got over there! Here in Europe they can't do all those things yet
Keep trying and you will soon descend to our level.
GreatandWiseTrixie

David Handeye wrote:What incredible apes you have got over there! Here in Europe they can't do all those things yet
So only Americans go gaga over the Royal Family?
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Who cares? I'm Italian
GreatandWiseTrixie

David Handeye wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Who cares? I'm Italian
this isn't about what race you are, we are talking about all humanapes. Not great apes, not monkeys, humanapes.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

It's a good question. In the back of my mind I don't want to be normal. Then I see a new Mini advert with the slogan Not Normal. Just look how completely empty and ridiculous the ad is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lPuun7ODu8
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Pluto wrote:It's a good question. In the back of my mind I don't want to be normal. Then I see a new Mini advert with the slogan Not Normal. Just look how completely empty and ridiculous the ad is:
That spot could never be broadcasted in Italy. I know why, because at once any humanape, as Trixie says, will get hanged to car doors just skiing on the road with only their shoes. They say, not normal is amazing, they understand homosexual is amazing.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

David Handeye wrote:I don't consider the concept of normality would be arbitrary at all, and so being linked to altering elements like social contests, personal education, common sense, etc. There should be a thread along with things and persons could be considered as normal despite historical variances and personal assumptions. What is this thread? What are the elements never to be excluded by the concept of normality? Or else, what are those elements always recognized to be normal and that could never be questioned?
It will greatly variate from person to person you ask, it's often relies on social structure that high society will precieve it one way, ghetto and slums will precieve it another way.

It will variate from region to region and country to country.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Pluto wrote:It's a good question. In the back of my mind I don't want to be normal. Then I see a new Mini advert with the slogan Not Normal. Just look how completely empty and ridiculous the ad is:
Yeah I have to say that ad was incredibly mainstream despite being an ad preaching about "not normal." Their definition of "not normal" is still "normal" otherwise who would they get any sales$$?
normal is amazing, they understand homosexual is amazing.
Oh there's always the hippies that think their pushing the envelope because they speak for gay rights on facebook every now and then. Or the hipsters who are "down with it." Or even lower, the tokeners who are like "Well one of my friends is gay and so this makes me accepting of LGTB persons, even though my actions imply I am totally ignorant and rude towards lesbians, gays and transsexuals." All of the groups I mentioned are typically shallow and monotonous, spoiled brats who's minds demonstrate the logical equivalent of 2+?=? Minds should not be judged by computational power alone, but their lifestyle, treatment of others and philosophy status is usually the equivalent of a 4th grade hipster brat.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Here is a brief article comparing the norm to the ideal. http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Blog ... _norm.aspx from a Catholic perspective.
Norms are obligatory.
GreatandWiseTrixie

tbieter wrote:Here is a brief article comparing the norm to the ideal. http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Blog ... _norm.aspx from a Catholic perspective.
Norms are obligatory.
Catholic dress code is both an ideal and a norm. Catholic dress codes are norms, and they are obligatory. Your link defines norms as "“a standard, model, or pattern considered to be as typical for a specific group.” Groups tend to enforce their own norms, which makes it obligatory to abide by to avoid punishment.
This makes norms no better than ideals, and no different. Their are good ideals, and bad ideals, and just mostly bad norms.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

HexHammer wrote:It will greatly variate from person to person.
I know. Let's try to put away personal variations, what remains? Nothing else?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

David Handeye wrote:
HexHammer wrote:It will greatly variate from person to person.
I know. Let's try to put away personal variations, what remains? Nothing else?
Now you apply stupidity to the equation when you analyze it.