does the universe exist with out the brain

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: does the universe exist with out the brain

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

jackles wrote:Well David the thinking here is that the consciouness of the brain is independent of this universe as in 3 dimension. It consciouness being a different nonmoving dimension. Thus it would not die as the moving brain construct dies. So as most of the worlds religions say if you search to find your true identity which is not the identity that you source from the event you will get eternal life. Your conscience in the event being the real you in the event.
i don't want eternal life never asked for it i want out

dont wanna go through 9 months of being in the womb again
jackles

Post by jackles »

Well to my knowledge trixie we as individuals go on no matter what . There is no death for consciousness its self and that means consciousness is god. Hence the belief in god through conscience. We are our bothers keeper by kindness in conscience. If we are not our brothers keeper then the event owns are arse.
GreatandWiseTrixie

jackles wrote:Well to my knowledge trixie we as individuals go on no matter what . There is no death for consciousness its self and that means consciousness is god.
yeah thats how it is now but im looking to end this
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:i don't want eternal life never asked for it i want out
Don't worry, you haven't got it.
Er? Pretty much the most peaceful time of your life.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:i don't want eternal life never asked for it i want out
Don't worry, you haven't got it.
I used to believe as you do. Question, have you ever believed as I do?
Er? Pretty much the most peaceful time of your life.
Assuming that my second theory is false. My theory being that we retain our memories of the past life, and in the womb we get so frustrated we just forget it all.

To test this theory would be rather simple science. Simply clone someone, and kill the original at the right exact moment. The subjects would have to be iron willed to make sure they can retain the memory.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:I used to believe as you do. Question, have you ever believed as I do?
Sort of as I had a Burmese mother but like most in the West you pick-n-mix.
Assuming that my second theory is false. My theory being that we retain our memories of the past life, and in the womb we get so frustrated we just forget it all.
Handy for you. Given that the CNS is not fully developed and memory is stored in it I think your just a kludge to fit your metaphysic.
To test this theory would be rather simple science. Simply clone someone, and kill the original at the right exact moment. The subjects would have to be iron willed to make sure they can retain the memory.
And when would this moment be?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: To test this theory would be rather simple science. Simply clone someone, and kill the original at the right exact moment. The subjects would have to be iron willed to make sure they can retain the memory.
And when would this moment be?

Is Trixie volunteering? With any luck the clone would be Tabula Rasa.
hammock

Post by hammock »

jackles wrote:Yeah would the universe exist with out your brain. I reckon it would and would not.what do you reckon?
The "brain" itself is just another material phenomenon / anatomical distinction expressed in experience, depicted as residing in a similarly exhibited / studied world. The natural system abstracted from the empirical latter espouses a circular inter-dependence, of explaining those macro / micro contents and events of extrospective consciousness with each other. So curiously [yet properly within the natural approach], the brain will indeed be championed as producing its fellow manifestations and understandings (collectively known as the cosmos represented as surrounding a brain/body) from inputted information. Yet as part of the loop and straddling the fence, those outer affairs are also granted independent status from the organ and serve as the current and deep historical causes of the brain and the sensory data it receives.

If you're instead referring to the universe of your dreams, then it might safely be taken to be fully produced by the brain. Neither a faithful imitation of neural structure / activity nor sporting qualitative symbols of an alternative existence beyond the waking world. Such might arguably even be "infinite", if you were in a perpetual dreaming coma traveling in an ceaselessly powered spaceship, your brain / body never died, and there was adherence all the time to the same virtual reality being explored. Since your brain could continuously generate new territory to be "seen". Of course, the aforementioned "adherence" includes sticking to a better plan of regulation for that reality than the goofy arbitrariness often exhibited by dream-worlds.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:I used to believe as you do. Question, have you ever believed as I do?
Sort of as I had a Burmese mother but like most in the West you pick-n-mix.
Seems to me you just "sort of" believed, as in not really believed but just nodded your head to whatever your mother had to tell you.

I believed you, but did you believe me?
If you're instead referring to the universe of your dreams, then it might safely be taken to be fully produced by the brain. Neither a faithful imitation of neural structure / activity nor sporting qualitative symbols of an alternative existence beyond the waking world. Such might arguably even be "infinite", if you were in a perpetual dreaming coma traveling in an ceaselessly powered spaceship, your brain / body never died, and there was adherence all the time to the same virtual reality being explored. Since your brain could continuously generate new territory to be "seen". Of course, the aforementioned "adherence" includes sticking to a better plan of regulation for that reality than the goofy arbitrariness often exhibited by dream-worlds.
That's actually an interesting idea, nothing goofy about it. For all we know, it could however be happening
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Seems to me you just "sort of" believed, as in not really believed but just nodded your head to whatever your mother had to tell you.
Nope, I was given the beliefs but allowed to decide for myself and I decided that dead is dead as there's bugger-all evidence to the contrary.
I believed you, but did you believe me?
Believed you about what?