A woman's reputation

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

A woman's reputation

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

In a relationship, why would a woman have more to fear about her reputation than a man about his (is it because women are more sensitive?)

PhilX
mickthinks

Re: A woman's reputation

Post by mickthinks »

There's some confusion in your question, Phil. Are you asking why women feel more fear than men, or why women are more vulnerable than men?
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

No it's because double standards exist.

Women have all the same emotions men do. It's not like one of the sexes are emotionally retarded. It's just social convention has defined roles for each sex, and it is hard to break them.
Philosophy Explorer

Blaggard wrote:No it's because double standards exist.

Women have all the same emotions men do. It's not like one of the sexes are emotionally retarded. It's just social convention has defined roles for each sex, and it is hard to break them.
Hi Blag,

Any thoughts as to how this particular double standard came to be? I would try to research it on the internet, but I wouldn't know where to start.

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Hi Blag,
Any thoughts as to how this particular double standard came to be? I would try to research it on the internet, but I wouldn't know where to start.
PhilX
You could start with the earliest societies on Earth, there has been a double standard throughout history, females have always had different roles in society, read a little history. For example I believe that in England a King could marry and his wife would be the Queen, but if a Queen ascends the throne and marries her husband is not the King. So HE can promote a woman to be Queen but SHE cannot promote a man to be King.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Probably because women are on the receiving end of misogyny from both men and women. Society hates women.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Hi Blag,

PhilX
Yeah look up anthropological roles in history men and women, and the reasons such things exits. Also look up animal sex roles, particularly in apes, and also in Wolves.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Probably because women are on the receiving end of misogyny from both men and women. Society hates women.
Society doesn't hate anything per se. Evolution on the other hand is blind hatred. ;)
duszek

Post by duszek »

Powerful women can enjoy different standards though.

The zarine Catherine the Great or Cleopatra or even the English Queen Elisabeth I had many lovers and their reputation did not suffer.

Men worry about raising children who are not theirs and possibly that is why they prefer women who are faithful.

A man can have bad reputation too.
If he is a gambler, an alcoholic, a cheater, a syphilitic etc.
There are aspects of a man that women avoid. What would they be exactly ?

In conservative terms: women should be pretty and faithful, men should be rich and strong and intelligent and provide security.

Would you agree ?
vegetariantaxidermy

duszek wrote:Powerful women can enjoy different standards though.

The zarine Catherine the Great or Cleopatra or even the English Queen Elisabeth I had many lovers and their reputation did not suffer.

Men worry about raising children who are not theirs and possibly that is why they prefer women who are faithful.

A man can have bad reputation too.
If he is a gambler, an alcoholic, a cheater, a syphilitic etc.
There are aspects of a man that women avoid. What would they be exactly ?

In conservative terms: women should be pretty and faithful, men should be rich and strong and intelligent and provide security.

Would you agree ?
Then why are there so many ugly married people, with children?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Perhaps because they compromise.

Perhaps because they develop there own standards, that are different.
vegetariantaxidermy

duszek wrote:Perhaps because they compromise.

Perhaps because they develop there own standards, that are different.
Perhaps because who we fall in love with usually has little to do with the stereotypical supposedly 'desirable' mates. Perhaps this is one of the reasons there are so damn many of us.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Then why are there so many ugly married people, with children?
mostly because the english speaking peoples are a bunch of lard asses and this gets worse with age

so people who look ok at 18 become ugly fatsos by 30
Mic84

Post by Mic84 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:In a relationship, why would a woman have more to fear about her reputation than a man about his (is it because women are more sensitive?)

PhilX
Maybe because they are more sensitive, as you said.
Philosophy Explorer

Kayla wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Then why are there so many ugly married people, with children?
mostly because the english speaking peoples are a bunch of lard asses and this gets worse with age

Not true with me as several women like to rub my pot belly.

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Kayla wrote:

Not true with me as several women like to rub my pot belly.

PhilX

Perhaps they just can't find what they really want to rub.

Or perhaps they've mistaken you for a lamp.