What is wise?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote: What is wise?

You called me wise once for not saying something out loud. Perhaps wise is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
Blaggard
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by Blaggard »

That's what your mum said.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

What is wise?
Knowing not to read and reply to every pointless thread you see on this forum, and most forums in general.

Since this topic seems slightly less vapid than most, (albeit this topic is quite lazy) I will give you the answer you seek.

One does not seek wisdom, but Truth. Once Truth is attained, wisdom will flow in abundance.
Blaggard
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by Blaggard »

There is no truth, that at least is wisdom.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote:There is no truth, that at least is wisdom.
To say that there is no truth, is untruth.
Blaggard
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by Blaggard »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Blaggard wrote:There is no truth, that at least is wisdom.
To say that there is no truth, is untruth.
A contradiction that renders your assertion facile and irrelevant.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Blaggard wrote:There is no truth, that at least is wisdom.
To say that there is no truth, is untruth.
A contradiction that renders your assertion facile and irrelevant.
There is no contradiction of any kind.
User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 12313
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: What is wise?

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:One does not seek wisdom, but Truth. Once Truth is attained, wisdom will flow in abundance.
Got to go with the essence of this one.
User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3347
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: What is wise?

Post by HexHammer »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
What is wise?
Knowing not to read and reply to every pointless thread you see on this forum, and most forums in general.

Since this topic seems slightly less vapid than most, (albeit this topic is quite lazy) I will give you the answer you seek.

One does not seek wisdom, but Truth. Once Truth is attained, wisdom will flow in abundance.
There's imo very little difference between wisdom and truth. Wisdom is refined knowledge, truth is a confirmed/verified conclusion.

And no! It's only fancy rhetoric to say that wisdom will flow in abundance, that require very intelligent people to conclude things and refine knowledge, but everybody can parrot the results.
Blaggard
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by Blaggard »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
A contradiction that renders your assertion facile and irrelevant.
There is no contradiction of any kind.
Ok so name me one absolute truth? One utter immutable fact that to all races and or species and x in the universe, is, just true regardless of your perceptions? And if you are going to come up with platitudes, have the decency to know something about truth before you precede to assumption and then farce.

Is perception absolute and objective or is it subjective. If so how would one discern an absolute truth? If one could that is?

Knowing is one thing truth is another, they are not the same thing.

It's a contradiction to say you alone or anyone knows an absolute truth or even a truth, the semantics matter, and then to then say there is in anyway a reason to believe that anything is absolutely untrue or that by contingency one implies the other necessarily is sophistry of the worst kind.

Those who think they know the truth absolutely only have faith, those who have found some truth, by necessity have found some doubt.
Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:One does not seek wisdom, but Truth. Once Truth is attained, wisdom will flow in abundance.
Got to go with the essence of this one.
But one would hope that the essence is something that has not been squeezed through nonsense and a priori assertions no?
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
A contradiction that renders your assertion facile and irrelevant.
There is no contradiction of any kind.
Ok so name me one absolute truth? One utter immutable fact that to all races and or species and x in the universe, is, just true regardless of your perceptions? And if you are going to come up with platitudes, have the decency to know something about truth before you precede to assumption and then farce.

Is perception absolute and objective or is it subjective. If so how would one discern an absolute truth? If one could that is?

Knowing is one thing truth is another, they are not the same thing.

It's a contradiction to say you alone or anyone knows an absolute truth or even a truth, the semantics matter, and then to then say there is in anyway a reason to believe that anything is absolutely untrue or that by contingency one implies the other necessarily is sophistry of the worst kind.

Those who think they know the truth absolutely only have faith, those who have found some truth, by necessity have found some doubt.
Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:One does not seek wisdom, but Truth. Once Truth is attained, wisdom will flow in abundance.
Got to go with the essence of this one.
But one would hope that the essence is something that has not been squeezed through nonsense and a priori assertions no?
A=A? Existence itself?
Blaggard
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by Blaggard »

Have you read any philosophy or did you just not bother?

Not that you have to of course, philosophy is a broad church but in your case I would suggest you do. ;P

Existence itself? You are joking right?

Anyway welcome to the forum, you as I have said before despite choosing to disagree with most of what you say, are a free thinker, and there's precious little of that these days, thinking I mean, freedom is of course to most a matter of taste. ;)
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote: Existence itself? You are joking right?
Not at all. Existence itself is the greatest truth of all, and also the greatest curse...

Another truth is that there is no freedom. All of your actions are caused. Even a god is the product of either random spontaneous events or causation. All I am is a robot trying to put you on the truthful path, before other robots try to deceive you. Because there is no greater cause than removing existence itself. And in order to do that, you must be efficient, and logical, and courteous to your fellow robots.
Blaggard
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by Blaggard »

How do you know any of the above? It's just your opinion, whilst there may be no free will, there even might be existence for all anyone knows, how can you define existence or anything by assertion of fact a priori? Or anything at all because you just say so?

You might agree existence exists but such a tautology is meaningless when it comes to either truth or reality as we may or more likely may not know it. So what does truth denote: truth?

There is no absolute truth there are but shades of truth on the spectrum which never approach the absolute.
Last edited by Blaggard on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: What is wise?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Blaggard wrote:How do you know any of the above? It's just your opinion, whilst there may be no free will, there even might be existence for all anyone knows, how can you define existence by assertion of fact a priori? Or anything at all because you just say so?

You might agree existence exists but such a tautology is meaningless when it comes to either truth or reality as we may or more likely may not know it. So what does truth denote truth?
What? Free will doesn't exist, and that's a fact. Existence does exist, it's a fact, not my opinion. And opinion would be, like, saying "life is good."
Post Reply