Good day all

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ararapina

Good day all

Post by ararapina »

Hello there, I am a Portuguese PhD candidate in Biology but I am specially interested in philosophy of science (specially biology) and mathematics. I also like philosophy of religion and questions about morality.

Hope to learn a lot in this forum.
Blaggard

Re: Good day all

Post by Blaggard »

Welcome, you'll learn a lot I hope.

If you don't then apparently there is a money back guarantee... :)
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

ararapina wrote:Hello there, I am a Portuguese PhD candidate in Biology but I am specially interested in philosophy of science (specially biology) and mathematics. I also like philosophy of religion and questions about morality.

I guess because you have a certificate, this makes you a certificate?
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
ararapina wrote:Hello there, I am a Portuguese PhD candidate in Biology but I am specially interested in philosophy of science (specially biology) and mathematics. I also like philosophy of religion and questions about morality.

No that just makes him a Doctorate of Philosophy or (PhD) Doctorate de Philosophe... if you'll pardon my Fench...

What that makes him is anyone's guess. ;)

He's in the right place though I have a BSc in both physics and Biology, and a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge chufty badge. :P
GreatandWiseTrixie

Blaggard wrote:

No that just makes him a Doctorate of Philosophy or (PhD) Doctorate de Philosophe... if you'll pardon my Fench...

What that makes him is anyone's guess. ;)

He's in the right place though I have a BSc in both physics and Biology, and a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge chufty badge. :P
Seeing as how many cops do not obey their own laws, does a badge give any worth? You know this to be true, I can sense your sarcasm overflowing.

A badge is only a sticker, given to those who obey. Merely a product of the times and culture, it is hollow and without worth. Perhaps if one reads what they are told to read, and one answers the way one is told to answer, and lives a life of indentured servitude for 7 years, then one should receive a badge representing the courage to go through pain and agony, above all else. Perhaps such a sticker would benefit a surgeon, but one not needs a sticker to be qualified to think. Yes, indeed, even they do not teach the art of thought itself, and their ways mostly bring conflict.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

I think that it makes him a brainwashed ninny. I took some philosophy classes; they were about as rational as the mud is clear.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Systematic wrote: I think that it makes him a brainwashed ninny. I took some philosophy classes; they were about as rational as the mud is clear.
It's not just about rational, it's about how relaxing they are. Are the classes day-dream fodder? If so, perhaps they have some value after all, helping to soothe and rejuvenate the mind. In this case, it's not so much what they say, but how they say it. Example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG_sYgw8rUo
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

Systematic wrote: I think that it makes him a brainwashed ninny. I took some philosophy classes; they were about as rational as the mud is clear.
It's not just about rational, it's about how relaxing they are. Are the classes day-dream fodder? If so, perhaps they have some value after all, helping to soothe and rejuvenate the mind. In this case, it's not so much what they say, but how they say it. Example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG_sYgw8rUo
No, they were just trying to prove the existence of God based on physics. And they had an obsession with Hume. "We can't prove that we know anything, so we must know absolutely nothing." And no, they weren't daydream fodder. They were memorize what we tell you and then repeat it back to us brain-washers.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Systematic wrote:No, they were just trying to prove the existence of God based on physics. And they had an obsession with Hume. "We can't prove that we know anything, so we must know absolutely nothing." And no, they weren't daydream fodder. They were memorize what we tell you and then repeat it back to us brain-washers.
Yuck.