Where does value lie?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Where does value lie?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Say you have a diamond. A very well-cut diamond. What would determine its value?

Maybe a person or group of people would give it its value. Maybe all of the people in the world gives it its value, whether or not they're aware of its existence. Maybe the diamond would still have value, even if there were no people around (intrinsic value).

Maybe a diamond's value would take a nosedive if diamonds were plentiful. Again, do you think that value is intrinsic, extrinsic or a combination?

PhilX
Blaggard

Re: Where does value lie?

Post by Blaggard »

Value is determined by who wants something and why. Supply and demand, whether it actually has any value. Who knows?

"would a tree falling in the woods still make a sound if no one was around to hear it?"

Who the hell cares. :P
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Blaggard wrote:Value is determined by who wants something and why. Supply and demand, whether it actually has any value. Who knows?

"would a tree falling in the woods still make a sound if no one was around to hear it?"

Does a bear shit in the woods?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Where does value lie?"

Solely with the one who values (places value, assesses value).
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Say you have a diamond. A very well-cut diamond. What would determine its value?

Maybe a person or group of people would give it its value. Maybe all of the people in the world gives it its value, whether or not they're aware of its existence. Maybe the diamond would still have value, even if there were no people around (intrinsic value).

Maybe a diamond's value would take a nosedive if diamonds were plentiful. Again, do you think that value is intrinsic, extrinsic or a combination?

PhilX

You seem to be equating value and price and they are not always the same. A cosmetic diamond might have value in its ability to impress others, an industrial diamond has value in its ability to cut through other materials. Price is determined by what the seller is asking and what the buyer is willing to pay. One thing that determines the price of a cut diamond is the skill of the craftsman who cuts it.
bergie15

Post by bergie15 »

I think that certain things can have intrinsic value to a person. Some objects may not have any monetary value, but they can still have worth to a person.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

tbieter wrote:
Blaggard wrote:Value is determined by who wants something and why. Supply and demand, whether it actually has any value. Who knows?

Does your mum?
henry quirk wrote:"Where does value lie?"

Trite Henry, you can do better than that I hope...
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bergie15 wrote:I think that certain things can have intrinsic value to a person. Some objects may not have any monetary value, but they can still have worth to a person.

I buy and sell on EBay and I am constantly surprised at the prices of some of the things I don't value, that bring high prices (in my opinion) when they sell.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote:
tbieter wrote:

Does your mum?

Since when is "Trite" of little value or meaning?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote:
tbieter wrote:

Does your mum?

My house is in the woods, so technically I shit in the woods, So what?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Trite Henry, you can do better than that I hope...'

What I post may be trite, but it's also true: value lies 'solely with the one who values (places value, assesses value)'.

Name any precious 'thing' and you'll find that 'thing' is only precious (valuable) cuz some-one or -ones assesses 'it' as such.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Say you have a diamond. A very well-cut diamond. What would determine its value?

PhilX
5 dollars. No more, no less. Thus, it is written.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

thedoc wrote:
Since when is "Trite" of little value or meaning?

The banal well that is up to you to decide its value, which is kind of the point doc.
Blaggard

Re:

Post by Blaggard »

henry quirk wrote:"Trite Henry, you can do better than that I hope...'

What I post may be trite, but it's also true: value lies 'solely with the one who values (places value, assesses value)'.

Name any precious 'thing' and you'll find that 'thing' is only precious (valuable) cuz some-one or -ones assesses 'it' as such.
There's little or no value in iterating things everyone knows, I think.

Cuz your mum was a whore? Please...

Is your mum precious?

Are you?
thedoc

Re: Re:

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote: Cuz your mum was a whore? Please...
Is your mum precious?
Are you?
Blag, what is this Mum fixation of your's lately, are you a Necrophiliac?