Please delete this

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Are we eternal? (Eternal Recurrence)

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote:Agreed again. That's a good thought.

The thinking Theist and the thinking Atheist have lots to talk about, and lots about which they can agree. Truth is a destination; and the pursuit of it produces natural convergence, regardless of where a person happens to start.

What I like about Henry in particular is that he "is what he is," so to speak; he says what he believes, and seems perfectly ready to stand by what he says. Who can't respect that?

I agree, I've known Henry (on forums) for a many years. And he is one of the few I consider as a friend and would trust to tell him things I do not tell others.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Doc, Mannie,

I think a lot of the strong, clear, signal of alignment gets lost in all the noise of non-alignment mostly cuz the folks bashing up against one another would rather disagree, would rather never agree.

That is: the fight is the goal (and perhaps utter and complete submission by one to the other).

There's a certain appeal to the fight but age degrades that appeal (and impulse), especially when there's no real profit to be had.

Now, I'll easily take a razor to a body if there's a need, but largely, in this place, there isn't.

As for me being what I am: nuthin' that admirable about it (or me)...I'm just too friggin' lazy to be anything else.

Now, both of you stop it: all this love is makin' me diabetic.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Think this GIF pretty-much proves it -
...................Image

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

OK, I like the way you think, but if there are infinite number of ways things to be, and infinite number of possibilities, then it also means that there will always be infinite numbers of same stuff that made ''me'', wouldnt it?
No. It would mean there was an infinite amount of stuff that is NOT you, arranged in an infinite number of combinations. It means that the universe would never run out of alternatives to producing you. In fact, after a billion years it would still have infinite alternatives rather than you.
Another problem.. what are the chance of my existing now?
By sheer accident? Very, very slim indeed. But what you're asking about is the chance of you "re-existing," which is far more complex.
And why would it be my first time and last to exist? We know that if one thing can happen or happened , then it means that it breaks the law of time and space.
I'm unclear on your point. Your wording seems to suggest for some reason you find it more probable to think you would live two, three or a thousand lives than one. But I think that just looks two, three or a thousand times less likely, especially given the possibility of infinite alternatives.

And...something "breaks the law of time and space?" Which "law"?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

henry quirk wrote:Doc, Mannie,
Now, both of you stop it: all this love is makin' me diabetic.

I'll work up a dose of insulin, you grumpy old stinker.

BTW, give your nephew a hug for me.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"you grumpy old stinker"

HA!

You got me pegged.

#

"give your nephew a hug for me"

Consider it done.
thedoc

Re:

Post by thedoc »

henry quirk wrote:"you grumpy old stinker"

HA!

You got me pegged.

#

"give your nephew a hug for me"

Consider it done.

I should, my grandkids call me Grumpa.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Grumpa"

HA!

Me and mine started watching this cartoon called 'Gravity Falls'. One of the characters is Stan, the great-uncle of two other characters. Great-uncle gets truncated into 'grunkle' by Stan's nephew and niece. Before mine knew what 'grunkle' meant in the show, he started calling me that, reasoning that 'grunkle' meant 'grumpy uncle'.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:Nietzsche's idea is based on a very basic error in logic that will be apparent if we think carefully at all.

An "Eternal Return" can only happen if two conditions apply:

1. An infinite span of time in which for events to recur, and

2. A finite number of variables capable of recurring. ...
Can't remember, did Nietzsche give an explanation of the conditions for ER? My take was that it was his way of trying to introduce a kind of anti-kantian 'categorical imperative' to his individualistic morality.

Re: 1 & 2.

Couldn't it just be that a halting-state is reached and the whole thing is reset with the initial variables and re-run, needs a strictly deterministic viewpoint so that everything happens as it did before. So a finite time and a finite number of variables.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Couldn't it just be that a halting-state is reached and the whole thing is reset with the initial variables and re-run, needs a strictly deterministic viewpoint so that everything happens as it did before. So a finite time and a finite number of variables.
Well, this is an interesting point: and if true, it makes the length of time in question even less useful as an explanatory element. For it's only the element of a time of infinite length that makes (at first blush) the idea of an Eternal Return even *look* plausible.

I see the problem you're implying. Without infinity being posited, there's no reason to think that a definite amount of time would be be necessary or sufficient to produce an inevitable, exact Return to the original state as required by Nietzsche's idea. In other words, the "Eternal" bit is non-negotiable in making the whole thing plausible. Yet if both the variables within the system have to be finite and the time allowed within the system has to be finite, just as you suggest, then there's *less* time for the "miracle" of recycling to take place! The whole thing just looks absurdly highly improbable (a recycling of exact events, an inevitable and eternally reproducing one, yet within a necessarily limited timespan, and with necessarily limited variables in play?), and then nothing any longer provides it with even the illusion of necessity! Wow. :shock:

And yes, I agree that to posit strict determinism would seem necessary as one component of that. It seems to me that otherwise "radical" elements could enter the cycle and prevent Return happening within the anticipated span at all, and that Nietzsche would surely have to rule out in order to advance his ER.

A very interesting advance on the mathematical problem with his idea. I hadn't considered that, but it's good. Thanks for it.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

it's an ethical proposition...

amor fati

-Imp
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I am the same as henry in that I am not interested in superfluous arguing. My thing is knowledge and so I want to learn as much as I can. And philosophy is one of the subject I am specifically interested in though I will consider anything which is serious. Now I will never be an expert in anything nor am I trying to be. But just to accumulate as much as I can is an entirely practical goal. So I come to debate in order to advance my understanding. I try not to hold fixed opinions on anything outside of mathematics for that is the one discipline that references proof and proof is absolute by default. And so less some thing is either demonstrably true or false I retain an open mind. And I never engage with out the most basic of respect for my opponents. And I think it is perfectly acceptable to take all ideas to pieces for that is the only way to ultimately determine their validity or lack of but I never engage in negative ad hom for that is entirely superfluous to what productive discourse should be about. Now that is where I am coming from with respect to that. I like this forum for it has interesting characters and interesting threads. And for those reasons long may it continue so a big up to Philosophy Now and all its members as well
Last edited by surreptitious57 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:37 am, edited 9 times in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

I agree. It could really be that the halting-state is reached and simply all the matter as we know today (that makes our universe) is simply reproduced in same variables.

If true we will live for eternity, and be reincarnated

Ah. I think you've missed the logic of your own premise there. That's the wrong conclusion. Maybe I can explain why.

The "Eternal Return" argument, in layman's language, goes something like this: "Look, it's admittedly highly improbable that all the billions and billions of variables that come together in our universe would ever come together in precisely the same way a second time. Admittedly, we have zero empirical evidence it has ever happened or ever will again. But the universe is a really, really, really big place that has been going on for a really, really, really long time. So given enough time and space, the admittedly improbable becomes the likely...then the necessary...then the certain...and hence, though we don't know it, we are all "Eternally Returning" to the same exact collocations and interactions of atoms that form the universe as we know it."

But as I've pointed out, take out that element of "really, really, really" big, or "really, really, really" long (i.e. "infinite" or "eternal") and the idea of a "return" at all starts to look totally mythical. There would be no reason even to entertain it as a possibility if a) the universe were not so mind-bogglingly big as to cause us to imagine that *anything's* possible, and b) the variables and permutations in question were not limited in number. If these variables were infinite, then there's "Eternal" but no "Return."
If true we will live for eternity, and be reincarnated
Now to your conclusion. You seem drawn to two things: the idea of "eternity" making the Eternal Return plausible (which mathematically speaking, it simply does not, if the variables themselves are "eternal" in number, i.e. infinite), and secondly, the idea of reincarnation.

Well, "reincarnation" isn't the "Eternal Return" of course. "Reincarnation" is the Hindu/Buddhist idea that we are recycled in *different* forms to pay off our karma and eventually escape the wheel of samsara (suffering) that is our material reality. Nietzsche's idea of the "Return," in contrast, is that we recur in *the same form* an infinite number of times, and with absolutely no teleological purpose in view: it just happens, and we're trapped. No escape. No karma. No enlightenment. Just 'round and 'round we go.

Neither Nietzsche's "Return" nor "reincarnation" are plausible if the universe is as you now redescribe it: i.e. limited in size and duration. And if it's actually infinite, then the "Return" is simply mathematically impossible.

Finally, an additional problem is introduced by the idea of a "halting state." It would mean that the universe was obeying some sort of "law" external to the universe itself (for it would be necessary for it to establish all natural laws in all the "returns") a "force" which made it "halt" and "return," and which did so infinitely. Otherwise the mathematics goes wrong again, and you have simple infinity with no "returns." And what sort of force would that be? Why would we be rational to think it existed, and why would we think it did what you say it does?

For, of course, in thinking about this we always need to bear in mind that there is ZERO empirical (or scientific) evidence for an "Eternal Return." The truth is that the whole idea is actually premised on nothing more than a mistaken mathematical postulate, a theoretical guess without evidence or even the accurate use of concepts, as we have seen.

I actually think the whole appeal of the idea is purely aesthetic and irrational (i.e. it's fun to think it's so). But given the mathematical problems, I don't think it can be rationally sustained, even as a possibility.
HexHammer

Re:

Post by HexHammer »

henry quirk wrote:"How do you know?"

I see no *evidence of either, so I surmise that both are hooey.

I could be wrong, but till proven wrong, I say: You will not reincarnate and there's only one universe.

#

Straight to the point, as usual, Henry!

HA!

*if folks reincarnate, where are they? I don't know any reincarnated folks. if our universe is just a lobe in a larger multiverse, where's the proof? some math sez the multiverse is possible, but possibility is not certainty or necessity.
There has been many reports of children with intimite knowledge from other people who have died 100 miles away, how can such knowlege pass to small children? Either fraud or is it real?

I would like you to debunk that.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

There has been many reports of children with intimite knowledge from other people who have died 100 miles away,
Since the case you frame here does not involve single individuals recycling ("children" contrasts to "other people"), this would seem to be neither an instance of "reincarnation" nor one of "Return," so I suppose it must be a challenge directly to Henry's more general skepticism of that which he has not seen...is that what you mean, Hex? Or could you clarify?