~ The Meaning of Life ~

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Re: ~ The Meaning of Life ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You're support is much appreciated. And don't think it will go unnoticed.

I am especially humbled
that you would speak of my accomplishments upon this forum in the same respect that is given to the writings of the great Socrates.

All the best to you
in 2015.

thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

I am especially humbled
that you would speak of my accomplishments upon this forum in the same respect that is given to the writings of the great Socrates.

That's not the Socrates I was referring to. I should probably not cross pollinate from different forums.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:That's not the Socrates I was referring to. I should probably not cross pollinate from different forums.
We know who you mean as he's in the Phil of Science section here.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:... that is given to the writings of the great Socrates.
There are no writings by Socrates, you'd know this if you'd bother to read any philosophy or even the wiki entries you link.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.Image

I meant, writings attributed to Socrates, from Plato...just as the writings attributed to me.

None of us are the authors of our words...written or spoken.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Apart from Plato apparently. :roll:
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Thank you for your support & understanding.

thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Thank you for your support & understanding.

Have another beer, or several.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

If you seek what is the meaning of life, please read the doc below.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14718
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that read.

I wanted to copy & paste part of that here upon this thread but I was unable to.

THANK YOU for adding your link to this thread.

Did you write that piece?

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Arising_uk wrote:Maybe it's not repeat posting?
Does it matter if it is? It only means that it's of core concern to this individual. Should one be, in any way, reprimanded for their sense of urgency?

What is the meaning of life?

And I think I know why. :)
Actually you just believe you know why, but it's your common theme to believe you know everything, or so you seem to profess.

But maybe it's not thinking that there is a 'the'?
Yet there could be, of course not to an atheist. Yet everyone here is not an atheist.

Still struggling with the emptiness; this vastness of this thing I will title, for now, as my soul.
That your 'soul' is empty means you've misunderstood what it means.
Is he necessarily speaking from an atheist's point of view? How could you necessarily 'know' what it means to anyone other than you?

Looking for the meaning of this life of ours.
You should be looking for the meaning of this life of yours. Let me help, it's what you decide it is.
Maybe yes and maybe no, it all depends on whether you're an atheist or not! You should show some respect towards possible theists.

I know meaning, REAL meaning can be based upon words but overall meaning, REAL philosophy, goes far beyond words.
In Philosophy Now we understand that this 'REAL' is a myth.
Listen, to you, "We," as if you are the embodiment, of all of philosophy, that is absolutely correct. There goes that I'm educated and your not, so I'm right and your wrong mentality, can you say, "megalomania?"

I looked for meaning, REAL meaning, in experience. Over the last few months even that inner search that I have committed my life to, even that has fallen short.
That's because you keep looking for this 'REAL' meaning when its just meaning.
Who are you to say this with certainty, atheist!

Ever thought that this 'inner search' has been failing you and maybe you should be looking outwards or how about reading some Philosophy to help you with your existential angst, try Sartre as he was much concerned with such stuff.
That's a good idea, he should educate himself, he should consider, "everything!" Buddhism as well!

I'm still empty. Lost.
Try answering this, "What would not being empty or lost be to you?"
Ridiculous question, as how could anyone 'know' what that is, if they've never known it before. Obviously he's currently trying to get there. Or maybe he's just asking these questions, for others to contemplate.
Are we dead?
No and you need to stop thinking in terms of 'we'.
Ridiculous, because we are a we, we are in fact one on this singular planet. Can we speak for everyone? Of course not, to believe so is foolish, (arising?). Can we ask a question of everyone? Of course we can, surely expecting a plethora of ever differing answers. Which is what he has done.
So now tell me what you 'know' to be fact, with absolute certainty, as to our existence, as if anyone can!

You only know that you know nothing, yet that scares the crap out of you, so you've searched for something solid, and 'believe' you've found it, and for you it possibly is. Yet you're not the only one here, your particular differences are yours alone, yet you try and hold others accountable to them, as if yours is the Grand Poobah of knowledge!

But then that is a problem with your personality type.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Thank you for intervening at a particularly acute moment.

Your philosophical perspective is appreciated...at least by me.

Um, I, was...and still am a bit vulnerable in some ways that make me feel uncomfortable to say the least.

Tried to express this a bit here.

Can't expect too much but what I was able to literate did help a bit.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.Thank you for your support & understanding..
And thank you once again for proving your gnuhood.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Does it matter if it is? It only means that it's of core concern to this individual. Should one be, in any way, reprimanded for their sense of urgency?
If it was Bill's core concern then he would engage with the responses the first time than just repeating.
Actually you just believe you know why, but it's your common theme to believe you know everything, or so you seem to profess.
See the smiley? Understand that the whole 42 thing was a joke by D. Adams?
Yet there could be, of course not to an atheist. Yet everyone here is not an atheist.
You're right, Bill is an ex-theist and as such is still struggling to replace the certainty his faith gave him.
Is he necessarily speaking from an atheist's point of view? How could you necessarily 'know' what it means to anyone other than you?
No he's speaking from the ex-theists point of view and as such gives atheists a bad name. Hence he talks about his 'soul' and it's 'emptiness' but forgets that he emptied it.
Maybe yes and maybe no, it all depends on whether you're an atheist or not! You should show some respect towards possible theists.
I respect that they can hold their beliefs but if they did they would not be asking the questions or bemoaning their lot in the way an ex-theist like Bill is doing.
Listen, to you, "We," as if you are the embodiment, of all of philosophy, that is absolutely correct. There goes that I'm educated and your not, so I'm right and your wrong mentality, can you say, "megalomania?"
No, NPD or Megalomania is delusional, much like Bill, whereas I use 'we' in the sense of someone who has studied the subject of Philosophy and can say what conclusions it has come to with respect to the issue at hand. You on the other hand appear to have the common insecurity of one who has not made the choice to study the subject and resents those who have.
No, Philosopher!

Although what I could have said to Bill was, 'What would this REAL meaning be like to you?' but then I'd be being an NLP Practitioner.
That's a good idea, he should educate himself, he should consider, "everything!" Buddhism as well!
In the main Buddhism is too hard for the modern 'Westerner' but I have suggested just such a thing to Bill in the past. I've also suggested that he returns to his faith as being without it appears to be doing him no good(maybe he should actually read Plantinga to see if he can be re-convinced?). This time I suggested a philosopher for his existential issue as after all this is a philosophy forum.
Ridiculous question, as how could anyone 'know' what that is, if they've never known it before. ...
Not ridiculous as how do you get to know things you don't know already? Especially given what is being proposed, you think about them! If you say you have an outcome you want then you should be able to imagine what having that outcome would be like to you. If you can't then you don't have a clear outcome so how will you achieve it?
Obviously he's currently trying to get there. ...
Then it would assist his journey if he attempted to answer my question.
Or maybe he's just asking these questions, for others to contemplate.
Or maybe he's just spouting whatever emote is in his head at the moment, his usual practice.
Ridiculous, because we are a we, we are in fact one on this singular planet.
Stuff and nonsense, we are not 'one' but many.
Can we speak for everyone? Of course not, to believe so is foolish, (arising?).
Then Bill posts much foolishness upon this forum.
we ask a question of everyone? Of course we can, surely expecting a plethora of ever differing answers. Which is what he has done.
Fair point, then the answer is 'No, 'we' are not dead'. In fact a better one would have been 'Only if a dead man can type'.
So now tell me what you 'know' to be fact, with absolute certainty, as to our existence, as if anyone can!
'We exist or we don't exist', 'We cannot exist and not exist', 'If we exist then we are not dead. We exist. We are not dead.'.
You only know that you know nothing, ...
No, that's you. I know that there are many things I don't know and some things I do.
that scares the crap out of you, ...
I think you projecting.
you've searched for something solid, and 'believe' you've found it, and for you it possibly is. Yet you're not the only one here, your particular differences are yours alone, yet you try and hold others accountable to them, as if yours is the Grand Poobah of knowledge!
Nope, I know I accidentally found something absolute, that it applies to all of existence(sorry Kant) and that its nigh on pointless other than in a philosophical way and that it is the only thing that Philosophy can truly claim as its own. You and Bill appear to forget you are on a Philosophy forum and think you are on some new-age, feel-good, self-help psycho-babble site and take offence when told you talk philosophical nonsense. I have no idea why you bother.
then that is a problem with your personality type.
Spoken like the therapized American you are. Freud and Bernays(see I can even learn from a goaturder) have a lot to answer for in your culture.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Does it matter if it is? It only means that it's of core concern to this individual. Should one be, in any way, reprimanded for their sense of urgency?
If it was Bill's core concern then he would engage with the responses the first time than just repeating.
No! Bill should do as Bill wants to do, who do you think you are to tell Bill what he 'should' do.
See the smiley? Understand that the whole 42 thing was a joke by D. Adams?
I could care less of your jokes, say what you mean and mean what you say.
You're right, Bill is an ex-theist and as such is still struggling to replace the certainty his faith gave him.
I think you should leave it to Bill to say what he is or is not, again who do you think you are?
No he's speaking from the ex-theists point of view and as such gives atheists a bad name. Hence he talks about his 'soul' and it's 'emptiness' but forgets that he emptied it.
There you go again, professing to know someone better than they do.
I respect that they can hold their beliefs but if they did they would not be asking the questions or bemoaning their lot in the way an ex-theist like Bill is doing.
From day to day we change, and we are not always sure, again who do you think you are to try and define Bill?
No, NPD or Megalomania is delusional, much like Bill, whereas I use 'we' in the sense of someone who has studied the subject of Philosophy and can say what conclusions it has come to with respect to the issue at hand. You on the other hand appear to have the common insecurity of one who has not made the choice to study the subject and resents those who have.
Incorrect there is no common consensus amongst philosophers. Which is it, the Correspondence, Coherence, Constructivist, Consensus, Pragmatic, or Minimalist (deflationary), i.e., Performative or redundancy theories? All we get is a percentage of belief amongst philosophers. And so it goes with topics other than truth. "We," as if you speak for the one true belief. Get off your imaginary high horse, it makes you look small.
No, Philosopher!
Yet you speak from an athiest's position.

Although what I could have said to Bill was, 'What would this REAL meaning be like to you?' but then I'd be being an NLP Practitioner.
At least you's be asking for his words, instead of always trying to put them in his mouth.
In the main Buddhism is too hard for the modern 'Westerner' but I have suggested just such a thing to Bill in the past. I've also suggested that he returns to his faith as being without it appears to be doing him no good(maybe he should actually read Plantinga to see if he can be re-convinced?). This time I suggested a philosopher for his existential issue as after all this is a philosophy forum.
Often your so called help, seems to be fitted with barbs. But OK, sometimes you actually do try and help him and not yourself, I'll give you that much.
Ridiculous question, as how could anyone 'know' what that is, if they've never known it before. ...
Not ridiculous as how do you get to know things you don't know already? Especially given what is being proposed, you think about them! If you say you have an outcome you want then you should be able to imagine what having that outcome would be like to you. If you can't then you don't have a clear outcome so how will you achieve it?
With much work and time, as Rome wasn't built in a day.
Obviously he's currently trying to get there. ...
Then it would assist his journey if he attempted to answer my question.
Maybe and maybe not, they way you sometimes treat him, I'm thinking not.
Or maybe he's just asking these questions, for others to contemplate.
Or maybe he's just spouting whatever emote is in his head at the moment, his usual practice.
So who the fuck are you to judge him for it, with condescending diatribe? I find you to be extremely insensitive.
Ridiculous, because we are a we, we are in fact one on this singular planet.
Stuff and nonsense, we are not 'one' but many.
Bull shit, that's just you fighting for your right to do what ever you please, no matter how twisted.
Can we speak for everyone? Of course not, to believe so is foolish, (arising?).
Then Bill posts much foolishness upon this forum.
Anyone that tries and speak for someone is a fool, which you often do in Bills case.
we ask a question of everyone? Of course we can, surely expecting a plethora of ever differing answers. Which is what he has done.
Fair point, then the answer is 'No, 'we' are not dead'. In fact a better one would have been 'Only if a dead man can type'.
Get real, It was clearly a metaphor.
'We exist or we don't exist', 'We cannot exist and not exist', 'If we exist then we are not dead. We exist. We are not dead.'.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the 'meaning' of life. And it was obviously a metaphor.
You only know that you know nothing, ...
No, that's you. I know that there are many things I don't know and some things I do.
In fact, some of those things you say you know, that you know, shall be falsehoods on some future day. The odds are against you.
that scares the crap out of you, ...
I think you projecting.
No, I just know human motivation.
you've searched for something solid, and 'believe' you've found it, and for you it possibly is. Yet you're not the only one here, your particular differences are yours alone, yet you try and hold others accountable to them, as if yours is the Grand Poobah of knowledge!
Nope, I know I accidentally found something absolute, that it applies to all of existence(sorry Kant) and that its nigh on pointless other than in a philosophical way and that it is the only thing that Philosophy can truly claim as its own.
So spit this secret of yours out, or you're just blowing hot air.

You and Bill appear to forget you are on a Philosophy forum
Not at all, I know very well where I am, I'm very lucid!

and think you are on some new-age, feel-good, self-help psycho-babble site
So you characterize us, so as to demean, which is you problem not mine.

and take offence when told you talk philosophical nonsense.
I do not talk philosophical nonsense, but of course you'd say so, you're vindictive that way.

I have no idea why you bother.
You mean you have no idea! And I agree! I've often seen words go right over your head. One of your megalomaniacal tendencies, is to assert that it can't be, if you don't understand it. Visions of grandeur?
then that is a problem with your personality type.
Spoken like the therapized American you are. Freud and Bernays(see I can even learn from a goaturder) have a lot to answer for in your culture.
Hey you're the fool that told me your personality type, don't blame me it's not as grand as you believe it is.