Another Nubie

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sophie Seymour

Another Nubie

Post by Sophie Seymour »

Greetings,

I'm a philosophy novice with a keenness to learn a lot.

Sophie
mark black

Post by mark black »

Hello Sophie,

It's very unlikely you'll learn anything here. No-one does. Everyone argues from an entrenched position, and no-one ever gives an inch. I'm still saying the same things I was a year ago, and haven't moved one person one millimeter from thier original position. They're all saying the same things they were a year ago, and haven't moved me.

It would be wrong to say I haven't learnt anything. I have learnt that ignorance is far more powerful than intellect - and would urge you adopt a stupid opinion and cling to it like grim death. If someone challenges your opinion, ignore them, and simply restate your position. Keep doing this until they tire and go away. Then you'll have won!

mb.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

It's very unlikely you'll learn anything here. No-one does. Everyone argues from an entrenched position, and no-one ever gives an inch. I'm still saying the same things I was a year ago, and haven't moved one person one millimeter from thier original position.
Speak for yourself.

Sometimes people like learning about the nuances of another's position even if they don't agree with it.

If you think the point is to move people go start a cult.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Hello Sophie,

Enjoy yourself, but don't take anyone too seriously :P

P.S. Perhaps you should have written newbie rather than nubie? I mean, you really don't want Duncan to imagine you are nubile.
amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

enjoy yourself sophie,
we are a bunch of novices ourselves. I come from a Govt Soc BA Honours 2.1 and I feel as thick as a 6ft wall of steel due to quality of brains round academia and on Library thing. ( I think inferiority has crept in here)
That was 20 years ago.
I am in the read the book invent your own wicked pedagogy and still see deficiencies in academia school of intellectual enquiry.
This has resulted in intellectual opportunity from dead serious intellectual conversations to crazy every academic bone in yer body opportunities the infamous draft proposal thing which believe you me is scary beyond your wildest nightmare and so unlike the protection of uni it has to be seen to be believed.
Novice = any one without a philosophy degree and or philosopher awareness (zillions).
If you are reading then persevere there are some you like and some you hate. DIY is the mother of all intellectual discourse here. how far you take it depends on how mad/clever/of a sleuth you are in pursuit of intellectual goals from that book to making that point.
Anyways Welcome to the mad house.
APN